The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Some thoughts on the Psijic Order skill line from the POV of a solo magblade

fred4
fred4
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Well, I've just levelled this, but haven't been to PvP with it yet. This is not meant to be a critique, nor am I speaking from experience. I'm trying to figure out which skills I might use. Perhaps you can comment as to whether I'm on the money, or not. This thread will be strictly from the POV of a cloaking / ganking, small scale, 2H / resto magblade, merely because that happens to be the first character I levelled the skill line on.

Time Stop
Doesn't really fit. The 4 second lead up to the CC of Time Freeze seems far too long, whereas the cast time of Borrowed Time seems more suited to group play, where you are not under immediate pressure. As everything is competing for bar space, I have to look at it as a possible replacement for Mass Hysteria. Nope. I don't think that's happening.

Elemental Weapon
10% more sustained damage spamming this against a target skeleton, and cheaper than Funnel. Definitely something to try. There are lots of possibilities with this. The guaranteed status effects trigger Skoria and will probably generate more proc chances for things like Sload. It's also kind of like warden birds in that there is a delay. The damage coincides with a light attack and, basically, with the subsequent skill cast. This might be exploited for generating burst. Healing from Funnel will be missed, though.

Accelerate
This is a frustrating skill. You can cast it and remain cloaked, so it seems to have been designed with NB in mind. But what do you get? Race Against Time might work on a stamblade. It's cheaper than Double Take, but that's about it. The extra crit damage fits with NB, but it's kind of a meh buff, and sprint cost reduction isn't really needed. Such a short duration. Then there is Channeled Acceleration. This can be cast between two Cloaks, while remaining invisible. You might use it in the leadup to a fight. The question is, is it worth it? The big stupid about this skill is that it slows you down during the channel. It is NOT an escape skill. Basically I feel that this competes with better skills, namely Double Take and Forward Momentum. Now if it was a magicka version of Forward Momentum we would have a totally different ballgame, because that's what I feel I really need. What makes me fast isn't Major Epedition. Well, it does, but snare / root immunity is more important. Not enough bar space and high opportunity costs for both morphs make this a crap skill, as far as I can see. Sprint cost reduction on a magicka build is nice - I've used the Prisoner set - but it's kind of down the list after break free and snare / root removal. With Concealed Weapon + Cloak it's basically only useful to a magblade, if you are marked.

Mend Wounds
I can see how this fits more healing into a GCD. Totally a healer skill, so that won't be me. Interestingly heavy attacks consume magicka.

Meditate
Exactly when will you have the luxury of using this on any build in PvP - or PvE for that matter? I don't get it. If you are that safe, you can just wait for your out-of-combat regen to catch up. My tooltips are about 1.5K / sec for each resource. My in combat mag / stam regen reads 1.5K / 600 right now, but out-of-combat it's 2.5K / 1.2K (as displayed by Harven's addon). As NB you either disengage with cloak, and you don't need this, but if you channel this in someone's face you will not survive. I sometimes even die with Light's Champion active, although mainly if I leave it too late. I suppose there may be some tank build, maybe using Reactive, who can benefit from the Major Protection, but while that is strong, the resto ult and sets like Pirate Skeleton prove it makes you far from invulnerable. Maybe in conjunction with the 1H + S ult? By the way, do you know of anyone using the Shadow Walker set? What? You haven't heard of it? Yeah, that's because it's crap ;). I hope I'm wrong, but compare it with Dark Deal. Now Dark Deal costs one resource, but the heal is about 3 times stronger, and the resource restored maybe 5 times, if memory serves (I don't play sorc, so correct me). Since Meditate doesn't cost anything, it should not match Dark Deal, but at the tooltips I am seeing it will be totally ineffective, I think.

Undo
Where were you 4 seconds before being CCd? I'm wondering whether to take the Precognition morph. The main attraction seems the position change, but I could be wrong. If a DK had you fossilized and beat on you, wouldn't it be better to break free, roll, take two steps, then use the ulti?
PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't really have a slot for it on my bars but the meditate worked really well in cyro if I cloaked and shadow imaged away from a fight behind LOS, around a rock or somthing, and then used it to get all my resources back pretty quickly.

Wasn't really worth a entire bar slot but it definitely made my recovery time when I was depleted on magika or stamina a lot faster.
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to offend, but this is on a nightblade, the most complete class in the game. Other classes will see benefits in these skills.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't really have a slot for it on my bars but the meditate worked really well in cyro if I cloaked and shadow imaged away from a fight behind LOS, around a rock or somthing, and then used it to get all my resources back pretty quickly.

Wasn't really worth a entire bar slot but it definitely made my recovery time when I was depleted on magika or stamina a lot faster.
    Yeah, that sounds exactly like what I expected: A quality of life improvement. Unfortunately there isn't the bar space for skills that don't bring more to the table.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Karm1cOne wrote: »
    Not to offend, but this is on a nightblade, the most complete class in the game. Other classes will see benefits in these skills.
    Yeah, but that's purely random, since the magblade is my main.

I guess Accelerate may suit templar and DK, but that's a whole lot of magicka for a 3 second speed buff, or for skill that first slows you down. Fine when you see the enemy arriving, but really bad in an ongoing fight. It just seems like a really weak skill. It was nerfed before it even came out of the gate ;).

Sorc: Streak or Lightning Form > Accelerate
    Warden: Bird of Prey > Accelerate

I think the healing skill is genuinely useful for a healer, since it fits more healing into a GCD. The attack skill is also really interesting, since it creates a sort of micro burst on any class. Since warden birds were speeded up, I believe Fissure + Birds + Crushing Shock no longer arrives together, but Fissure + Elemental Weapon + Crushing Shock probably will, thus it may fix that broken magden burst combo.

Time Stop really competes more with the likes of Volcanic Rune and sorc Encase.
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just fought in a capture the relic BG vs a Templar tank that we could do nothing to kill, he was super tanky and would use meditate mid combat, 3 of us wailing on him at one point and he was just spamming caps on our relic till people showed up and pulled us off, was so cancer but it was awesome. Great use of the psijic ability and was pretty badass.
    Edited by ShadowMonarch on May 27, 2018 5:41AM
  • 3DJutsu
    3DJutsu
    Just fought in a capture the relic BG vs a Templar tank that we could do nothing to kill, he was super tanky and would use meditate mid combat, 3 of us wailing on him at one point and he was just spamming caps on our relic till people showed up and pulled us off, was so cancer but it was awesome. Great use of the psijic ability and was pretty badass.

I was under the impression that it could be interrupted like any other channeled ability.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Did some PvP and totally changed my mind on Time Freeze. The 4 second duration is actually nice, since it's 4 seconds that shoo the enemy away from that location or makes them hesitate entering it. Drop it on a flag to get people to move and stun the guards. Drop it on a choke point, such as under a bridge in IC, and you may gain a valuable second or two where you are faster than the enemy. Maybe this will change in time. If someone runs Forward Momentum, there is no reason for them not to sprint through, or they can gap close anyway, but I guess it may force people to waste a GCD on a skill they might not otherwise use.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    Well, I've just levelled this, but haven't been to PvP with it yet. This is not meant to be a critique, nor am I speaking from experience. I'm trying to figure out which skills I might use. Perhaps you can comment as to whether I'm on the money, or not. This thread will be strictly from the POV of a cloaking / ganking, small scale, 2H / resto magblade, merely because that happens to be the first character I levelled the skill line on.

Time Stop
    Doesn't really fit. The 4 second lead up to the CC of Time Freeze seems far too long, whereas the cast time of Borrowed Time seems more suited to group play, where you are not under immediate pressure. As everything is competing for bar space, I have to look at it as a possible replacement for Mass Hysteria. Nope. I don't think that's happening.

Elemental Weapon
    10% more sustained damage spamming this against a target skeleton, and cheaper than Funnel. Definitely something to try. There are lots of possibilities with this. The guaranteed status effects trigger Skoria and will probably generate more proc chances for things like Sload. It's also kind of like warden birds in that there is a delay. The damage coincides with a light attack and, basically, with the subsequent skill cast. This might be exploited for generating burst. Healing from Funnel will be missed, though.

Accelerate
    This is a frustrating skill. You can cast it and remain cloaked, so it seems to have been designed with NB in mind. But what do you get? Race Against Time might work on a stamblade. It's cheaper than Double Take, but that's about it. The extra crit damage fits with NB, but it's kind of a meh buff, and sprint cost reduction isn't really needed. Such a short duration. Then there is Channeled Acceleration. This can be cast between two Cloaks, while remaining invisible. You might use it in the leadup to a fight. The question is, is it worth it? The big stupid about this skill is that it slows you down during the channel. It is NOT an escape skill. Basically I feel that this competes with better skills, namely Double Take and Forward Momentum. Now if it was a magicka version of Forward Momentum we would have a totally different ballgame, because that's what I feel I really need. What makes me fast isn't Major Epedition. Well, it does, but snare / root immunity is more important. Not enough bar space and high opportunity costs for both morphs make this a crap skill, as far as I can see. Sprint cost reduction on a magicka build is nice - I've used the Prisoner set - but it's kind of down the list after break free and snare / root removal. With Concealed Weapon + Cloak it's basically only useful to a magblade, if you are marked.

Mend Wounds
    I can see how this fits more healing into a GCD. Totally a healer skill, so that won't be me. Interestingly heavy attacks consume magicka.

Meditate
    Exactly when will you have the luxury of using this on any build in PvP - or PvE for that matter? I don't get it. If you are that safe, you can just wait for your out-of-combat regen to catch up. My tooltips are about 1.5K / sec for each resource. My in combat mag / stam regen reads 1.5K / 600 right now, but out-of-combat it's 2.5K / 1.2K (as displayed by Harven's addon). As NB you either disengage with cloak, and you don't need this, but if you channel this in someone's face you will not survive. I sometimes even die with Light's Champion active, although mainly if I leave it too late. I suppose there may be some tank build, maybe using Reactive, who can benefit from the Major Protection, but while that is strong, the resto ult and sets like Pirate Skeleton prove it makes you far from invulnerable. Maybe in conjunction with the 1H + S ult? By the way, do you know of anyone using the Shadow Walker set? What? You haven't heard of it? Yeah, that's because it's crap ;). I hope I'm wrong, but compare it with Dark Deal. Now Dark Deal costs one resource, but the heal is about 3 times stronger, and the resource restored maybe 5 times, if memory serves (I don't play sorc, so correct me). Since Meditate doesn't cost anything, it should not match Dark Deal, but at the tooltips I am seeing it will be totally ineffective, I think.

Undo
    Where were you 4 seconds before being CCd? I'm wondering whether to take the Precognition morph. The main attraction seems the position change, but I could be wrong. If a DK had you fossilized and beat on you, wouldn't it be better to break free, roll, take two steps, then use the ulti?

I was finding great use out of meditate. You say when do nbs have the chance to use this? No other class has an LOS tool like shadow image (which no longer requires a target so you can place it in smart spots) which makes getting meditate channel time off very easy. For bgs or places with good los its wonderful.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    I was finding great use out of meditate. You say when do nbs have the chance to use this? No other class has an LOS tool like shadow image (which no longer requires a target so you can place it in smart spots) which makes getting meditate channel time off very easy. For bgs or places with good los its wonderful.
    Can I ask how much mag / stam regen you have?
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭
    3DJutsu wrote: »

I was under the impression that it could be interrupted like any other channeled ability.

Cooldown on interrupting it, we would interrupt it and he would cast it again and tank us while it filled his stats up.
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use race against the time on a bomblade it works fine even maybe better then inner light did in the past
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BigBadVolk wrote: »
    I use race against the time on a bomblade it works fine even maybe better then inner light did in the past
    Haha, yeah, I just figured that out as well. Actually I would have thought the other morph was made for bomblades?