The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Mag Sorc build help for Summerset

lord_nibbler
lord_nibbler
Soul Shriven
I have been trying to think of a good build for my Mag sorc for both PVE and PVP now that we will be able to count staves as 2 weapons. I don't have the vDSA or Asylum weapons unfortunately so I am just looking for a starter build to help me get to the point where I can acquire those weapons. I am having trouble finding groups for vet trials because everyone seems to want a skellie parse and mine suck. I can barely pull 18k on a 3m skellie but in an actual boss fight I can pull ~26-28k with good conditions. But they only accept 25k+ on the skellie which I can't do.

It could also be my rotation but I thought I have a good one. This is what i'm doing now - Curse > LA > LL > LA > Blockade > LA - weap swap - LA > Crushing shock > LA > Crushing shock > LA > Crushing > LA (obvi throwing in any frag procs) - weap swap and repeat. Is this good or am I stupid? I am not so well with the math and theory crafting. I try to check out other peoples builds but they mainly use staffs and weapons I don't have access to so I tried to figure that the above mentioned rotation might be my best option with what I use.

Any thoughts? What will y'all be running? I have a gold Julianos and Spinner set and a purple necro and lich sets. I also have 2 Aether jewelry pieces and 3 of the body armor. Just don't know how to combine it all. I am currently working on vMA to get the staffs tho so maybe when I finally get them that will help. Pls halp meh

Edit: forgot to add my current PvP build as well. Using Julianos or Spinners/lich front bar flame staff back bar resto. With Domi/Ilambris
Edited by lord_nibbler on May 11, 2018 2:48PM
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Im running 5 juli, 3-4 Ia (4th on staffs) 2 ilambris. From what alot of people tell me Ia doesnt work great on sorcs, Im only hitting about 25k solo (without ele drain). My best guess is next patch ill replace the ia for master architect.

rotation is the some one I do except i do curse after ele blockade.

For pvp I run 5 juli, 3 will power and 2 skoria, Will be switching willpower for 5 calduurion next patch
  • MakeMeUhSamich
    MakeMeUhSamich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP,

This is a non-pet setup for Dragon Bones, but it hits 31.5k solo and uses basic gear: Julianos, Llambris, and Willpower with random Lightning Staves. CP and such are listed at the end. Hope it helps!

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/makemeuhsamich/video/50573079
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does Alcast use fire staves for sorcerer when most of the dmg is lightning? What am I missing?

@ezio45 what set do you mean by "la"?
    Edited by Octopuss on May 24, 2018 7:16PM
  • nesmewno
    nesmewno
    ✭✭
    Octopuss wrote: »
    Why does Alcast use fire staves for sorcerer when most of the dmg is lightning? What am I missing?

@ezio45 what set do you mean by "la"?

Ia = Infallible Aether

Fire, because changed off-balance in DB patch and the need for a variety of lightning disappeared...
    Oh... Developer Comments:
    We’ve changed the way the Off Balance debuff works in Dungeon and Trial situations so there is more consistency for all groups in how this debuff is applied and used. Heavy Attacks (and abilities such as Flame Lash) no longer immediately consume the Off Balance debuff against bosses so you don’t penalize your group for capitalizing on an Off Balance opportunity. We’ve also significantly increased the resources you receive when you Heavy Attack an Off Balance enemy, so builds that have sustain issues now have a clear window of time to fill their Magicka and Stamina bars back up. Finally, bosses are now immune to the Off Balance debuff for a short period of time. This makes heavy attack usage more strategic as there is a limited amount of time during the fight when its usage is optimal.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I get that, BUT most of Sorcerer's abilities deal shock damage. Why gimp yourself by using fire staves and using armour that adds fire damage?
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Octopuss wrote: »
    Ok, I get that, BUT most of Sorcerer's abilities deal shock damage. Why gimp yourself by using fire staves and using armour that adds fire damage?

I assume you're talking about a non-pet sorc that uses dual fire staves.
    The sorcerer passives boost lightning dmg by 3%.

The destruction staff passives gives 8% dmg boost to single target abilities with a fire staff.
    The destruction staff passives gives 8% dmg boost to AOE abilities with a lighting staff.

Most sorcs use light attacks, Force Pulse, Mages Wrath, Cfrags and Curse as single target abilities.
    Liquid Lightning and Wall of Elements are used as AOE abilities (plus destro ult for trash fights).

Most dps comes from the single target abilities so it makes sense to run a fire staff to buff these skills.
    For the bar with AOE abilities a lightning staff is a valid option but a fire staff also has its advantages.

In groups DKs usually debuff the bosses with Engulfing Flame which buffs all fire dmg by 10%.
    So instead of gaining 8% AOE dmg buff you get 10% fire dmg buff with Wall and destro ult.
    Fire dmg also has a chance to proc the burning status effect which boosts dps a bit.

For dunmer sorcs (7% fire dmg buff) dual fire staves generate more dps.
    For Altmer sorcs (4%+3% lightning dmg buff) I believe a lightning staff on the back bar is slightly better.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Non-pet, yes.
    I thought most dmg came from DoTs, specifically LL and Wall. At least that's what I always read in all the guides, posts etc.
    My sorc is Breton. I have Wall, LL, Curse and whatever on the backbar, and Pulse, Clench and Wrath on the front. I don't use Frags as it's completely unreliable.
    What kind of staves would benefit this obscure setup the most? And what about enchantments?