The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Nord Wintershaman (Nord Warden Frost Staff Tank)

thearchivist95
I have this idea in my head for a nord druid/shaman of sorts. I like RP and PvE though, and that can make choosing characters tricky. So I want to know if it's viable. Can a frost staff warden tank, as they stand now with the Summerset changes, tank up to normal trials? And if they can, are they accepted, or will it be hard to get people to let me into stuff?

Thanks in advance for the responses!
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can a frost staff warden tank, as they stand now with the Summerset changes, tank up to normal trials?

Yes.
    And if they can, are they accepted, or will it be hard to get people to let me into stuff?

Nobody really cares what the tanks does up to normal trails, as longs you hold the boss still and don't die.
  • thearchivist95
    And warden tanks are pretty sturdy, right? I won't have to jump through weird hoops to stay alive?
  • GaelicCat
    GaelicCat
    ✭✭
    Yes. I main a nord warden tank. She's my ice queen. I run sword&board front, ice staff back. We're pretty tanky, and have a lot of heals available too, as well as really good ulti generation. I've solo tanked vAA with her, and tanked a few normal trials too. I'm still fairly new to the game though so I haven't tried anything harder than vAA yet.
  • Madrax573
    Madrax573
    ✭✭✭
    I've just respecced my Nord warden from stam to magicka as I heard they were in a pretty mediocre place right now and I'm loving it for general messing around.
    I done some area that were giving me a bit of trouble with my stam setup but were comfortable with my mag setup so I say go for it :smile:
    I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up!
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They definitely can tank normal trials.

Two issues though;
    1. You’ll have trouble getting a group if you are a tank wielding.... a staff. Especially if you are not a highly experienced player. Finding a group that accepts you might be challenging. I’d highly recommend finding a guild that is 100% okay with you using a build like that. PuGs may kick you.
    2. One thing the majority of posters forget when they say everything is viable is that the weaker specs (such as Nord Frost Staff Warden tank) is only usable by highly experienced players. You’ll have to really know what you’re doing to make it work. So yes it can definitely work but it’ll be much tougher to use than a normal tank. Btw it has become strong for a tank to permablock with an Ice Staff and spam Equilibrium while a healer keeps your health maxed, so that will likely be a big help with good Healers.

Considering that we’re talking about normal trials, some of what I said is a bit exaggerated. In Vet trials this is all 100% accurate unfortunately.
  • thearchivist95
    A learning curve, I can handle. I main a brewmaster monk in WoW. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a case of the math simply not being in my favor. Something being viable but challenging, you can always get better with practice. Something simply sucking, you sadly can't do anything about.

Luckily, this sounds like it's the first one.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! A very experienced tank can certainly make it work in practically all content (including all Vet content). So assuming you are up to the challenge, it will be doable.

Remember that this will all be very tough at first, though like everything practice makes perfect.
  • thearchivist95
    Can I ask what specifically the challenge with staff tanking is? Timing blocks vs. strong attacks?