The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Soul Trap

Aeon234
Aeon234
Is there a way to activate soul trap without placing it on my hotbar?

It's kind of stupid at the moment having to swap out a skill each time I want to fill some soul gems.
  • xCLAYWIZARDx
    xCLAYWIZARDx
    Soul Shriven
    I don't think so its a combat skill, its kind of like wanting to use fiery grasp without it being on the hot bar.
  • sbladenrb18_ESO
    sbladenrb18_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Definitely not, as xClaywizardx said, it is a combat skill, and they want you to have to decide upon a few skills to use and adjust for different situations.
    At level 15, you do unlock weapon swapping, which can have its own ability set, so that you can hit the ` key (next to 1) to swap easily between two different lots of combat skills while in combat.
  • Hinyaldee
    Hinyaldee
    Soul Shriven
    You can also get some experience for your World Skill lines and get the passive which allow you to sometimes proc a hit that will capture a soul ^^
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol people will complain about anything nowadays wont they
  • Aeon234
    Aeon234
    Unfortunately there's a lot to complain about when it comes to this game...
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aeon234 wrote: »
    Unfortunately there's a lot to complain about when it comes to this game...

Bugs and *** sure. Welcome to early access. It sucks and is incredibly annoying but it is what it is. Soul trap works fine.
  • Aeon234
    Aeon234
    It's not just that there are so many limitations no wonder people say it's like a dulled down skyrim... still it has potential.
  • Coran_Rhall
    Coran_Rhall
    Soul Shriven
    There are alot of things to complain about/discuss, but I don't see this as one of them. It's easy enough to swap Soul Trap in when in an area with some easy mobs, and then swap it out again when your gems are full.
  • Aeon234
    Aeon234
    It was Laura who said I was complaining... pretty helpless comment really when I was looking for a valid solution. Luckily 2 people had decent answers.. I appreciate it.
  • Karkashan
    Karkashan
    It's not that different from having to go in and equip the Soul Trap spell in Skyrim if you didn't know the enchantment/didn't use weapons with ST. Only difference is you can't pause the action in order to go through your menu. But if you're deliberately going out to farm some souls, chances are you would be all right with swapping a skill out for ST.
    grimabepraised
  • jakenaftalb14a_ESO
    Karkashan wrote: »
    It's not that different from having to go in and equip the Soul Trap spell in Skyrim.
    ^This. I mean, it's a bit inconvenient but not unmanageable.
    I haven't used it much but I don't see any issue with the way it exists currently.

Edited by jakenaftalb14a_ESO on April 2, 2014 10:44AM
  • ninjajucerb14_ESO
    You don't have to use the spell, can always buy a bunch of petty gems, goto the starter isle and just start spamming the cast on every rat, rabbit, squirrek, etc. you see to get a pile of powered up soul gems. When you get to a higher level you can probably just buy the pre-powered ones if it bothers you so much.
  • strelnikov
    I am 15 now so I have had to increase my level of soul gem, at 50 they will be grand soul gem's which is a few gold for unfilled if I remember.

What I do, is grab a bunch 10-15 and head to a ruin that many people travel through, and just start casting the spell.

It is very fast and effective you can fill up all that you in in 20 minutes. You just have to cast the spell on a target that isn't dead hehe. I always run around with 10 20 filled in my pack to keep my weapons and armor up. Soul Gems are Elder Scrolls..

If some one casts it on any of the Vestige's I would expect it not to work. :)

Oh one other thing, there are very interesting passives in the Spirit line of spells. Some that are pretty damaging.
    Edited by strelnikov on April 2, 2014 1:31PM
  • trahe
    trahe
    ✭✭
    It never occurred to me to swap out my soul gem. I like the increases and it actually does some damage, albeit a little. Now when I create a character I place it as soon as possible into my bar so I can quickly improve it to filling 2 gems at the same time when I cast it on something that is about to die.