Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Hi

• runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hai. I'm new and wanted to say hello to everyone. I've recently (this year) got into TES, and I love MMOs, so ESO seemed like a no-brainer to pick up. I really enjoy healing and tanking, and was also wondering something: a sorc with a frost staff can tank, correct? I know it's not that simple, but a frost staff is a viable tanking weapon for them? I've been reading a lot and trying to wrap my head around character building.

Welcome to the forums! My best advice for a new forum warrior is to ignore the trolls. We don't like people like this:

james-franco-look-at-me.gif

although they sure insist on cluttering up the forums. There's lots of good info and helpful people if you're patient.

I have several characters who use sword and shield on the front bar and ice staff on the back bar, the idea being you get to use both resource pools - magicka and stamina. Although you still want to put all attribute points into one pool. Magicka tanking is a bit tricky but you won't notice until hard endgame content.

Sorcs have damage shields that scale off max magicka.

[ edit ] Also, your profile doesn't way whether you're on PC or console. Sometimes it makes a big difference when getting answers, although not in this particular situation.
    Edited by runagate on May 8, 2018 10:59PM
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :p p.S welcome! May you love the game as much we do. You are in for quite the adventure. This best mmo on market for years for what you will see in many of your adventures and tales yet be told!
    Edited by Tasear on May 8, 2018 10:58PM
  • ErilAq
    ErilAq
    ✭✭✭
    Best advice I can give: play how you like, most content can be done however you like with a good guild, and you will find that creating builds is almost as much fun as playing the game. Welcome to the neighborhood, if you're on PC NA just hit me up. @ ErilAq
    Internet armchair warriors attack! Yayayayayayaaaaaah!!!!
  • thearchivist95
    Thanks everyone for all the warm welcomes and advice! Not sure if anyone saw the question, but heavy or light armor for the build I was talking about?
  • craigr02
    craigr02
    ✭✭✭
    Hello. You can play the game however you want, that includes using frost staff.
    Welcome to these forums. They can seem quite negative at times, but every once in a while you get a positive post
  • Ragged_Claw
    Ragged_Claw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    giphy.gif

Welcome!

And yeah, heavy armor for tanks. Once you start on the Undaunted skill line you will want one medium and one light as well to make use of the passives that you unlock, but that's a ways off yet. For now I wouldn't worry too much about gear as you out level it so quickly, just go with what you pick up. Items with the training trait are great at low level as they help you to level faster. There are lots of good guides online too, check out people like Deltia and Alcast for build tips. But don't be afraid to do your own thing, the main thing is to enjoy the game. You can always completely change your build later on if you're looking at doing harder content. Have fun!

PC EU & NA
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hai. I'm new and wanted to say hello to everyone. I've recently (this year) got into TES, and I love MMOs, so ESO seemed like a no-brainer to pick up. I really enjoy healing and tanking, and was also wondering something: a sorc with a frost staff can tank, correct? I know it's not that simple, but a frost staff is a viable tanking weapon for them? I've been reading a lot and trying to wrap my head around character building.

Hello-Welcome-Picture.png
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭

hi frost staff tank here, I'm still new myself, but i love frost staff tanking. I found sword/board tanking to be slow and clunky (that i'm used to left handed style due to zelda) but i found myself enjoying tanking with a staff.

From what I can tell it was a "new" change due to the warden class having a frost tank style, and people seem touchy on the concept of a staff user being a tank.

I found the heavy attack taunt easier to use, and frost best destruction skill can freeze mob in place. bonus is you can taunt from far away, while s/b you have to run up to taunt.

from my vast experience (14+years) as an MMO player and talking to super hardcore 1% players, meta don't matter much. As long as play your role well, and have fun that really all that matters and how content is beat. I'm coming from ff14, where the hardest content in the game was first beat by a non meta group. With a tank job people said was bad. The guy said he just liked the job, and had fun.

Same can be said for any mmo.
    Long time mmo player: 2004-[current year]
    Long time Elder scrolls player: Xbox launch morrowind.
    Follower of the dawn and dusk, keeper of the moon and star.
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    tenor.gif?itemid=8132991

dat 90s/2000s nostalgia yo. XD
  • Sting864
    Sting864
    ✭✭✭✭
    runagate wrote: »

Welcome to the forums! My best advice for a new forum warrior is to ignore the trolls. We don't like people like this:

james-franco-look-at-me.gif

although they sure insist on cluttering up the forums. There's lots of good info and helpful people if you're patient.

I have several characters who use sword and shield on the front bar and ice staff on the back bar, the idea being you get to use both resource pools - magicka and stamina. Although you still want to put all attribute points into one pool. Magicka tanking is a bit tricky but you won't notice until hard endgame content.

Sorcs have damage shields that scale off max magicka.

[ edit ] Also, your profile doesn't way whether you're on PC or console. Sometimes it makes a big difference when getting answers, although not in this particular situation.

So which is the troll?? The one speaking for others, or the one who wants people to look at them???

BT-dubs, welcome, thearchivist95!
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    200.gif
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    200.gif

must hug 0_0
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! :)
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome here :-)
  • Horker
    Horker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only thing you rely on as a tank is a big masssive shield, and the massive granite balls of an Orc.
    ROSES ARE RED, VIOLETS ARE BLUE, TRINIMAC IS DEAD, MALACATH IS TRUE
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Horker wrote: »
    The only thing you rely on as a tank is a big masssive shield, and the massive granite balls of an Orc.
    lol
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for all the warm welcomes and advice! Not sure if anyone saw the question, but heavy or light armor for the build I was talking about?

Unless pvp then heavy amour in pve is more advisable.
  • lakaisl
    lakaisl
    ✭✭✭
    Hello!

Don't be a Ganker... just don't...
  • Ilithyania
    Ilithyania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    giphy.gif

enjoy the game!
    PC
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AW446127_08.gif
  • thearchivist95
    Thanks for the all the welcomes! You guys are all really great, I've yet to meet an unpleasant person. I'm so glad I joined the community.

After playing for a day, I have a couple more questions:

1. How in demand are healers? In some games I play, they wait an oddly long time to get into group content.
    2. I like outlaw characters. Would a nightblade be a better tank or a healer?
    3. Do you need to level stealth? Or is it just a base stat? And also should I be obvious and go khajiit? (That last part is more just asking opinions :P)
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the all the welcomes! You guys are all really great, I've yet to meet an unpleasant person. I'm so glad I joined the community.

1. How in demand are healers? In some games I play, they wait an oddly long time to get into group content.
    3. Do you need to level stealth? Or is it just a base stat? And also should I be obvious and go khajiit? (That last part is more just asking opinions :P)

O.o which game do healers actually have to wait? If I wait more then five mins...I get fussy. I main a healer.

2. The principal of game is finding your own playstle. There's a lot of gameplay to be discovered. Both options are supported game as viable options. You have faster queue as a Tank

3. It's a class skill for most part or tied to potions. Many people aren't happy with current status of stealth in game. For dps khajiit at this time is at disadvantage by say 1 to 2%. As tank they are viable options that can be build in regain stats. They have somewhat of disadvantage as healers as healing typically needs Max Magicka and spell damage. Still races have variety of dynamics that comes down more personal preference.

Playing as you want be good or bad will make you enjoy game more.
  • Ilithyania
    Ilithyania
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. My healer has low que times in group dungeons, healers and tanks are in demand.
    2. With the upcoming changes to Nightblade class (Outlwaw) with Summerset chapter, i hear ppl say NB tank.
    3. for PVE group dungeons i never use stealth, however to avoid trash overworld i do. Also very fun in PVP.
    4. For race, play what you like and have fun. Khajiit is a good choice for a stamina based character.

Sometimes you will run into unpleasant persons, dont let it bring you down, most ppl ingame are helpful and cool :)

PC
  • thearchivist95
    Here's another question!

A warden healer/DPS hybrid using a bow? Can I heal just using the class healing line, and then use a bow and animal companions line for DPS? Or is that insane in the membrane?
  • Ilithyania
    Ilithyania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @thearchivist95

check out twitch / youtube Elloa / elloawendy

Shes has a Warden stam bow both bars healer/dps

Edited by Ilithyania on May 15, 2018 12:31PM
    PC
  • thearchivist95
    I've been experimenting with characters all week, not trying to necro, just don't wanna spam the forums!

I love hybrids and hate carrying two gear sets, so these questions are about that! Again, I'm sorry, but this game is massive. I love it, but it's taking me a bit to learn!

I'd like to play a templar healer, and I'm hoping to make a build capable of healing end game content, but also doing respectable DPS when I do solo open-world stuff. I'd prefer one gear set, and just swapping bars. Is that doable?

I'd like to know if there's a class/build for tanking that can do enough damage to do all content in end-game, with one gear set?

• GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly.. you can tank with a frost staff, as long as you have that passive unlocked. Just blast that heavy attack away and you'll be a taunting. Just have your Ward up and you'll be fine. However, l much prefer the Pierce Armor taunt from a S&B with its Major Fracture and the spell resist Major thing. Add crushing enchant and you're good to go.

Oh, btw.. Aloha and hola too.
  • thearchivist95
    So would a sorc tank be a viable thing to run with then? In your guys' opinion?