The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Discussion about performance impact by Addons

fgoron2000
fgoron2000
✭✭✭✭
I've been recently struggling with significant FPS drops, and am at a loss where the issue is...I'm on an i7 gen7 with 32gb of memory on windows 10. My GPU is a GeForce GPX 1060. The game, out of drive space necessity is installed on my D drive which is not an SSD but my C drive which doesn't have enough room is SSD. I'm also using an ethernet connection at the moment instead of wifi.

I haven't checked ingame settings yet because I figured that there'd be more players complaining, but will do so if dealing with addon's first don't resolve this issue.

I'm getting drops from initial 60-90fps highs, down into the teens, and it'll stay there for a while, and only spikes back into the higher numbers, almost like a rollercoaster. It also seems to start shortly after I start a gaming session, like 5-10 minutes in, or so. I've noticed it slightly during the past couple months or so, but it seemed to get worse more recently, even before the jubilee event.

My initial question for this thread is, if an addon is installed but disabled, will it have any performance impact at all on game performance? I have a few that I'm not currently using but haven't yet uninstalled for possible future use.

Also, as far as addon's go, I've tried to go through them, to configure for performance, with the main change being to switch from the Fyrakin minimap to Votan's minimap. I've also reconfigured HarvestMap best as I can to increase performance. Any other thoughts on this, from an addon perspective?

Best Answers

• Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disabled addons are not running while you are playing, so they don't have any impact on your system's performance. The biggest culprit in this case is always some kind of database addon, like HarvestMap or Master Merchant.
    Answer ✓
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I recently installed Combat Metrics and when I started the game, the lag and hiccupping was awful. My game always ran smooth as butter before this so I removed Combat Metrics and my game went back to smooth.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
    Answer ✓
  • imrilaoi
    imrilaoi
    ✭✭✭
    It being a laptop puts a new spin on things. What are its temperatures like? It could be running hot.

If the ethernet port is located inside near the rest of the major components it could be that everything together is running warm/hot and causing lag - things running hot will do this.

Is there a particular reason that you use the ethernet over the wifi in general? I'm aware that most people say that ethernet is always superior to wifi, but this isn't always the case, it isn't in mine currently. Its worth testing that where you usually play, and its also a good idea to monitor temps and see if things are running warm/hot while you're experiencing lag. There are several programs available for this that are free - Speccy and HWiNFO64 are particularly good.
    Answer ✓
  • imrilaoi
    imrilaoi
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. While ethernet is considered to be the most stable of the two, not always the case. There are a ton of factors that can affect wifi - interference from other devices, the number of devices on the network, the amount of bluetooth devices also being used (as most things use 2.4GHz), and other factors like walls and such - this isn't always the case, like here.

Every component in a computer or laptop generates some amount of heat, or is affected to a degree by the heat generated by other components.

Depending on your motherboard, you can see the temperatures for nearly every single thing (mine reports the temps on basically everything on it), like I said, it could simply be that while using the ethernet, the heat in that particular location of your laptop is degrading your performance.

Of the two pieces of software I mentioned earlier (Speccy and HWiNFO64), HWiNFO64 is the better to use to see these extra sensors, if they exist.
    Speccy is great, and much, much easier to look at and understand what everything is, but it doesn't list all available auxiliary sensors.
    HWiNFO is harder to read, and occasionally lists sensors that don't exist with bogus temperatures - a funny example from mine is this screenshot: http://prntscr.com/jdb8qq - the highlighted blue line is a sensor error. The software is attempting to get a reading from the power supply, and welp. Mine doesn't provide a sensor for that.

There are a couple of things you can do to fix this - either use the wifi, if its stable enough and fixes the issue, or you could get a laptop cooling pad that has a fan in that position, too. I think the majority of those only have fans in the centers of them, but a quick search finds several like this one that have fans all over: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BH5LTNX

Note: I'm not promoting this cooling pad, I have zero knowledge of how good it is, its just an example. My former laptop was only used for Linux with work apps, so I never needed a cooling pad.
    Answer ✓
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fgoron2000 wrote: »
    I've been recently struggling with significant FPS drops, and am at a loss where the issue is...I'm on an i7 gen7 with 32gb of memory on windows 10. My GPU is a GeForce GPX 1060. The game, out of drive space necessity is installed on my D drive which is not an SSD but my C drive which doesn't have enough room is SSD. I'm also using an ethernet connection at the moment instead of wifi.

My initial question for this thread is, if an addon is installed but disabled, will it have any performance impact at all on game performance? I have a few that I'm not currently using but haven't yet uninstalled for possible future use.

Just so you know, migrating to a new SSD is beyond easy and takes like 5 minutes using the cloning software that comes with the drives. You don't have to reinstall anything either. So, its an easy increase if you have the coin to buy a larger drive.

As for addons, the ones that hit your performance are the ones that scan the map and databases. Master Merchant and Harvest Map are two of the worst. I don't think the Frykins mini map has any real impact on the game, I set it to go away during combat and noticed no differences. I think you would notice a difference if you changed the refresh rate to be real fast.

There is or was an Addon Profile addon that let you set up profiles for various things. It is currently set as Outdated at Minion, but the mod still works if you want to manually install it. There might even be another profiler out now.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the insights...I'm not using Master Merchant, so that's not an issue, but I am using HarvestMaps and would prefer not to disable it if I can help it. As far as other potential database addons, what about the following -

Also, concerning the SSD, it's not in the cards now, cash-wise, but maybe in the future, we'll see.

Since I posted, I ended up disabling all my addons except for Harven's Quest Journal. One time, I was troubleshooting a different issue, and was doing the addon troubleshooting thing, and I disabled it. I know it shouldn't have happened, but somehow, I lost all the data it saved about my completed quests for all my chars, so I've never disabled it since.

Anyway, in addition to disabling the addons, I also went to town on my machine, doing a full virus scan, checking processes, installed apps, clearing my browser cache & disk cleanup, turned wifi off since I'm not using it, then rebooted. The result was a notable improvement, but not yet total resolution. Oh, I also turned off Anti-Aliasing in-game. I'm hoping that my cleanup may have at least partially resolved whatever was happening, and I'm gonna add my addons back in. If it stays as it is now, I think I can deal with the current condition. Otherwise, I'll take an even closer look at the addons I'm using.

• imrilaoi
    imrilaoi
    ✭✭✭
    I'm running an Intel i5 8600K, 16GB of ram, and a GTX 1060 6GB, no SSD, with everything on the highest setting in-game, except bloom (which I just don't like, so I disable) on Windows 10 - via wifi. I'm not having any FPS issues, period - I don't think I ever dip below 80FPS. Actually, its almost always at the 100 FPS cap. Also, unless you're running on a hard drive designed for laptops or for storage (5400 RPM), SSD versus HDD has little to no impact on the game. The most difference you'd really see with your specs is, maybe, loading times from one zone to the other.

For specifics, my parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/McJ6sZ

Worth mentioning, as you didn't say what resolution you play at - I'm playing at 1920x1080.

I'm also running a ton of addons, 48 - I think? http://prntscr.com/jb8033 my addon list. None of them are ever actually disabled in-game, because I've not needed to disable them.

It is possible that your addons are causing your FPS issues. HarvestMap can cause a hit, especially if you have the floating markers enabled. If you're just using the map marker portion and experiencing FPS drops, I'd suggest switching to Tamriel Mapping Project - http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1427-TTMPTheTamrielMappingProject.html

It does much the same thing as HarvestMap, has an import option for HarvestMap's node locations, and doesn't affect performance the way HarvestMap does. The only thing you'd lose is those floating indicators out in the world (no loss to me, personally, as I don't care for those).

If you were using Master Merchant, I'd have suggested switching to Arkadius' Trade Tools - which does the same thing without the performance hit - but is still worth mentioning in-case you'd wanted to run MM but were simply lagging too much with it enabled.
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    imrilaoi wrote: »
    I'm running an Intel i5 8600K, 16GB of ram, and a GTX 1060 6GB, no SSD, with everything on the highest setting in-game, except bloom (which I just don't like, so I disable) on Windows 10 - via wifi. I'm not having any FPS issues, period - I don't think I ever dip below 80FPS. Actually, its almost always at the 100 FPS cap. Also, unless you're running on a hard drive designed for laptops or for storage (5400 RPM), SSD versus HDD has little to no impact on the game. The most difference you'd really see with your specs is, maybe, loading times from one zone to the other.

For specifics, my parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/McJ6sZ

Worth mentioning, as you didn't say what resolution you play at - I'm playing at 1920x1080.

I'm also running a ton of addons, 48 - I think? http://prntscr.com/jb8033 my addon list. None of them are ever actually disabled in-game, because I've not needed to disable them.

It is possible that your addons are causing your FPS issues. HarvestMap can cause a hit, especially if you have the floating markers enabled. If you're just using the map marker portion and experiencing FPS drops, I'd suggest switching to Tamriel Mapping Project - http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1427-TTMPTheTamrielMappingProject.html

It does much the same thing as HarvestMap, has an import option for HarvestMap's node locations, and doesn't affect performance the way HarvestMap does. The only thing you'd lose is those floating indicators out in the world (no loss to me, personally, as I don't care for those).

If you were using Master Merchant, I'd have suggested switching to Arkadius' Trade Tools - which does the same thing without the performance hit - but is still worth mentioning in-case you'd wanted to run MM but were simply lagging too much with it enabled.

I'm running the same res as you, 1920x1080, and the HD where the game is installed is 7200rpm but this is a laptop though. My list of addons includes about 35, so a little less but not a lot less than you. I also have the floating pins turned off with HarvestMap. I have the game settings at High, which should be taxing my system too badly.

My thought was the addons too, but it appears that I still had the same issue, although less extreme, when I disabled all addons except the Harven Quest Journal.

One other interesting thing since I originally posted. At that time, I was connected with ethernet to my internet service, with a speed of 30mbps. At the moment, I'm temporarily connected at a different location by wifi (ethernet not available) to a 200mbps service, and with my addons still enabled, the issue is reduced but not gone. There has to be something else, but I just can't think what it may be. I've also updated drivers, including graphics. I've cleared my browser cache too, I've been rebooting the pc before each gaming session.

• fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    imrilaoi wrote: »
    It being a laptop puts a new spin on things. What are its temperatures like? It could be running hot.

If the ethernet port is located inside near the rest of the major components it could be that everything together is running warm/hot and causing lag - things running hot will do this.

Is there a particular reason that you use the ethernet over the wifi in general? I'm aware that most people say that ethernet is always superior to wifi, but this isn't always the case, it isn't in mine currently. Its worth testing that where you usually play, and its also a good idea to monitor temps and see if things are running warm/hot while you're experiencing lag. There are several programs available for this that are free - Speccy and HWiNFO64 are particularly good.

i never thought about the temp...the e'net port is in the middle of the back edge of the laptop, while the part of the laptop that gets hottest is on the left side, but still i'll hafta check that out...as far as e'net vs wifi, my understanding was also that it was a more reliable connection...i'm playing in 2 different locations, one where e'net is an easy connection, and the other where e'net is impossible, but that's a higher speed connection, and has been a slightly better response so far...but i attributed that to the hgher speed service, 30mbps with e'net vs. 200mbps with wifi

• erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    I use Speedfan (free) to monitor laptop and gaming temps. Can set alarms for peak temps. Can see graphs.

I would NOT run a gaming laptop without putting it on a cooler. Coolers are rated by total flow...go with the highest?

I do pretty well using 1 MB/s ethernet DSL. This game uses a low thruput...which is limited by ESOs servers.
    Edited by erliesc on May 14, 2018 11:13PM
    I know nutting....
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    erliesc wrote: »
    I use Speedfan (free) to monitor laptop and gaming temps. Can set alarms for peak temps. Can see graphs.

I would NOT run a gaming laptop without putting it on a cooler. Coolers are rated by total flow...go with the highest?

I do pretty well using 1 MB/s ethernet DSL. This game uses a low thruput...which is limited by ESOs servers.

Speedfan is great and keeps my laptop really cool .
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    the problem is less that it had been, although not completely gone...i'm starting to wonder if some of the problem was related to the increased activity & so many more players due to the recent events...

• erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    the problem is less that it had been, although not completely gone...i'm starting to wonder if some of the problem was related to the increased activity & so many more players due to the recent events...

I recently had serious issues as far as logging in various characters...getting timeouts and error notices...etc. Turns out it was an addon... Auto Category that only runs during banking for the most part. Really messed things up and it took a while for the ESO servers and my game to come to terms after it was disabled. This addon did not affect gameplay per se though. I run it with NVidias highest settings I think.

I think ESO might be tightening up on the loading period and so forth in prep for SS coming up....and school's out.

My 4 mules only use MM...the 4 active players use all the other addons. Try to avoid loading as much as I can....trying to not load those I don't really use right now....as in fishing addons.
    Edited by erliesc on May 16, 2018 7:46PM
    I know nutting....
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭

I recently had serious issues as far as logging in various characters...getting timeouts and error notices...etc. Turns out it was an addon... Auto Category that only runs during banking for the most part. Really messed things up and it took a while for the ESO servers and my game to come to terms after it was disabled. This addon did not affect gameplay per se though. I run it with NVidias highest settings I think.

I think ESO might be tightening up on the loading period and so forth in prep for SS coming up....and school's out.

My 4 mules only use MM...the 4 active players use all the other addons. Try to avoid loading as much as I can....trying to not load those I don't really use right now....as in fishing addons.

I don't use Auto Category or MM at all, we'll hafta see what happens on Monday. I do have a quad core i7, so crossing my fingers...
  • CyberSkooma
    CyberSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have performance issues for sure, but disabling Harvest Map and MM always severely improves my frames. Disabling CMX probably would too, but I like having that on most of the time.
    I play this game a little bit I guess
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think MM is really that active during play...just banking/mail etc? You could reduce the number of times it checks for new info? Should be able to disable it during play?

Harvest map I use in actual play. It seems to update OK as I play. Sometimes it doesn't want to show the big indicators though.

At 1 MBps download...in a city on a horse I can outrun the data download and stuff doesn't resolve fast enough...textures and objects.

One TEST to see how much data is actually coming thru would be to run the game in a window...use a graphing program that will show the data being downloaded in real time. When I've done this it usually is a small amount...haven't done it with this game though.

ESO has to update each player in real-time as things change...who knows how may players per server....so they are not putting out a lot of data?

Just guessing.....
    I know nutting....
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think MM is really that active during play...just banking/mail etc? You could reduce the number of times it checks for new info? Should be able to disable it during play?

Harvest map I use in actual play. It seems to update OK as I play. Sometimes it doesn't want to show the big indicators though.

At 1 MBps download...in a city on a horse I can outrun the data download and stuff doesn't resolve fast enough...textures and objects.

One TEST to see how much data is actually coming thru would be to run the game in a window...use a graphing program that will show the data being downloaded in real time. When I've done this it usually is a small amount...haven't done it with this game though.

ESO has to update each player in real-time as things change...who knows how may players per server....so they are not putting out a lot of data?

Just guessing.....

I used the data usage function in windows 10 (while it was still working for me) and it showed that the eso64 client d/l's very little data compared to other executables...I looked around online for some related info, and it generally indicates that games like this do d/l and u/l very little during play, amounting to not much more than keystrokes and mouse clicks & movements...I can't get to it anymore, some problem with a driver, but it showed that about an hour of regular eso64 play d/l'd roughly 50mb of data, whereas an hour of simple HD video streaming was a whole lot more, something like 600mb i think...