The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

help for my mag dk

MrDenimChicken
MrDenimChicken
✭✭✭✭✭
Just got this guy all leveled up and currently using Innate axiom light 5/1/1 with bloodspawn and riposte set. It does amazing dmg, but I have some huge weaknessess on this class in bgs right now. I have S + B on both bars. embers/talons/oblivion/fossilize/flame lash ferocious leap front bar, degeneration/coagulating/elusive/volatile/igneous back bar.

First off, mobility is such *** lol. I'm assuming I can do nothing about this.

Second, even with riposte, I can get bursted down pretty easily compared to my stam warden.

third, sustain is crap. Once magicka goes down, it seems to stay down.

Anyone have any advice? I'm thinking of switching to heavy and using something like innate axiom and bloodthorn or lich (backbar resto staff). If I stay in light I'd probably switch out the riposte for a phariah set, with possibly shacklebreaker. I'm really not sure though lol.
Edited by MrDenimChicken on May 12, 2018 10:33PM
  • Diddly_D_Potatoes
    Diddly_D_Potatoes
    ✭✭✭
    It's a quite different, but you won't have magicka sustain issues. You could run a heavy attack build *gasp*.

It is kind of the mdk equivalent of a nb snipe spammer. Except you still have horrible mobility, just try and keep your distance.

5x Torugs
    5x Knight Slayer
    1x Dom (probably 2x slimcraw in summerset)
    Impen on all, 5/1/1 light.

Infused flame staff with a fire enchant on front bar, infused resto staff with an oblivion enchant on back bar.
    Front bar: Radiant/inner magelight, wings, crushing shock, shield, stone giant, leap ulti.
    Back bar: volatile armour, molten armaments, mutigen, healing ward, choking talons, redto ulti.

Combo is basically empower with magelight, heavy attack to stone giant (crushing shock if cc immune). If you get lucky with crits you can kill people with this combo. Follow up with leap or a switch to resto to proc the oblivion enchant.

You don't need to run the attronach mundus or regen on jewelry, just witch mother's food.

You won't have sustsan issues due to all of the heavy attacking, have high burst potential at range, however its a heavy attack build. There is a certain degree of mud slinging in regards to heavy attack builds.

• Mihael
    Mihael
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can probably just switch your your jewelry glyphs to mag recovery and use the Atro mundus and be fine or you can use lich instead of wizards.

Mobility is bad on mag dk but you can use mist form to get out of roots

You will never be as tanky as a stam warden at least not if you want to do any damage

• AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swap to an ice staff on one of your bars.
  • MrDenimChicken
    MrDenimChicken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swap to an ice staff on one of your bars.

can you explain this in further detail? why is ice staff better?
  • LokoMatic
    LokoMatic
    ✭✭✭
    SnB / DW / Resto
    Resto for heavy attacks when you need sustain.
    Atro Stone + 1 Regen Glyph on Jewelry.

5 Sun / BSW / Spinners
    5 Shackle (light)
    2 Skoria

Tri food

I've tried about 10 different non CP combos for MagDK, this one seems to be best for DPS. It is squishy, but with enough experience you'll be good to go.
    Harbingers of Death
    Poison Injection
    Cp 910+

Dark Elf DK - Grand Overlord - (Xbox) NA - 129K Kills
    Orc Stamblade - Level 10 (Xbox)
    Argonian Templar - Level 23 (PC) (Auriels Bow Graduate (Retired))
  • Galalin
    Galalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what platform are you on I can help you with some builds in game.
  • MrDenimChicken
    MrDenimChicken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galalin wrote: »
    what platform are you on I can help you with some builds in game.

xbox
  • Galalin
    Galalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK im PC so will just post some info and builds I found work for me.

I found with my Mag DK there are options but I found chasing the sustain to hinder my damage, suvivability and play style and have accepted that heavy attacks are going to be the sole sustain for all my builds.I also find sturdy to be much better than impen on Mag DK. I usually run resto with light armor and destro with heavy for 2 reasons. 1. Sustain (since heavy attacks are the sustain you will need either the bonus for heavy aromor resource return or the bonus from resto in order to sustain mag) 2.Spell pen (alot of ppl don't seem to realize how important penetration is to damage so running elemental drain will also help with mag regen and make up the difference in pen from being in heavy armor)

If your having trouble getting used to low sustain its best to start off with heavy armor and resto back bar. The DPS is a bit lower due to the penetration loss but its still very doable. For this I would run heavy innate axiom for chest, legs, gloves, shoes with light innate axiom belt. Valkin skoria heavy helm and med shoulders. Burning spellweave (or for ease of obtaining silks of sun although i think BSW is better) jewelry and weapons. SnB and resto back bar. Now in heavy you could run all impen since no CP or all sturdy since no CP or a mix of both, that will depend on play style. with nirn on your 1h. All Magica enchants. for Light armor i like to run all sturdy since its virtually perma blocking.

For skills i use the following:

SnB bar: whip, fossilize, embers, talons, flames of oblivion. Leap

Destro back bar: ele drain, degeneration, coag blood, dragon fire scale, volatile armor. Meteor

Resto back bar: engulfing flames, degeneration, healing ward, dragon fire scale, volatile armor. Resto Ult

Do yourself a favor and no matter what build you run use the Lover mundus.

If you want a pretty tanky LA build with extremely high DPS I run.

BSW, Silks of Sun and Valkin Skoria all sturdy since Mag dk is great for block casting and block mitigates so much damage that even in light armor you are tanky as hell as long as you sustain block. I personally feel impen is absolutely wrong for LA DK.

I would ditch the blood spawn and go Valk. BS is a great set but i feel much better suited to stam DK although its probably the second best Mag DK monster set in my opinion.

A few tips on Mag DK.

-Use you CC's constantly. This may frustrate other players but its the key to a good mag DK. fossilize every time its up. Talons provides huge synergy damage and can be use every 2 sec.

-Use your CC to your advantage. Once you CC a player while doing damage shift yourself behind them. This is very important. if you stand in front they have no reason to break the root from fossilize. thus not wasting thier stam and you getting hit. Also most attacks cannot hit you if you are behind a player. So CC and shift behind.

-Use your leap as not only an execute but mobility and CC break for roots or bad situations. CC'ed in a crap ton of AoE with no stam and looking like death with a leap up.... use it and get out. Leap to someone on the outside of a fight.

-Use your CC to gain back your resources. fossilize and heavy attack while shifting behind a player. Either on SnB or Back bar depending on resources needed.

-Pressure is key to Mag DK. so well timed HA's and constant dot pressure while maintaining enough resources to bust once they are below 50% health. Don't go full ham non stop. keep pressure and maintain damage then burst once you have the opportunity.

I could go on for a year but that some things I feel may help you and others may have something that fits your play style better but this has worked for me.

Edited by Galalin on May 15, 2018 5:03PM
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ good stuff. Galalin spends a lot of time in BGs and really makes his mDK work in a group setting.

(He forgot to mention his Stam cost poisons though ;) )
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Have you considered Ulfnor's?

I heard that a lightning heavy attack on an off-balance enemy can return more than half a magicka bar with this set! I really want to test it out for myself though but I'm waiting on 1 piece.
  • Galalin
    Galalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »
    ^ good stuff. Galalin spends a lot of time in BGs and really makes his mDK work in a group setting.

(He forgot to mention his Stam cost poisons though ;) )

I stopped using them with my new defile build :) actually more so for thoggy :) I am running double damage health now