Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Addon's preventing log in

S'yn
S'yn
✭✭✭
I have a lot of addons but can't find a specific culprit for my problem. When I log in, I get the character select screen. If I load a character, it takes forever and eventually stalls out and fails to let my character load. If I try this too many time too quickly, I end up getting booted from the server, sometimes with a message that I am already logged in. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have 16Gb of RAM and an i7 CPU, 730M GPU- nothing amazing, but more than enough to play. If I disable all my addons I get in with no problem. If I enable one or a hundred I can't get in. Everything is updated through Minion manager. Thoughts anyone?
  • sylviermoone
    sylviermoone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're running Master Merchant, the issue is that Master Merchant is trying to load its data at the same time the world is loading. This causes you to take a long time to load, to the point where you essentially time out.

There is an option to delay initialization in Mater Merchant, but since you're already stalling out, it takes a little more work to turn it on. You'll need to remove your MM data files from your Saved Variables, load in the game, turn on delay initialization, load out of the game, and then replace your data files.

If you aren't running Mater Merchant, please post what add-ons you have, as it will help us help you better. :wink:

Edit to add: you can also turn on Delay initialization without moving your data files by opening the main MM saved Variable file and searching for "delay init". Change the value to "true". I can't stress enough that you must be fully logged out of the game when you do this, though. Because the game writes to your Saved variables upon reload/logout, if you're in the game the edit will get written over.
    Edited by sylviermoone on April 18, 2018 4:56AM
    Co-GM, Angry Unicorn Traders: PC/NA
    "Official" Master Merchant Tech Support
    and Differently Geared AF
    @sylviermoone
  • Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    S'yn wrote: »
    I have a lot of addons but can't find a specific culprit for my problem. When I log in, I get the character select screen. If I load a character, it takes forever and eventually stalls out and fails to let my character load. If I try this too many time too quickly, I end up getting booted from the server, sometimes with a message that I am already logged in. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have 16Gb of RAM and an i7 CPU, 730M GPU- nothing amazing, but more than enough to play. If I disable all my addons I get in with no problem. If I enable one or a hundred I can't get in. Everything is updated through Minion manager. Thoughts anyone?

If you have a lot of addons, the standard testing method for finding a faulty one is disabling half of them. If you can log in, the culprit was in the other half; if you can't, it's among the enabled pile. Choose that half that has the non-working addon, and enable half of them again. After some steps you can find which one causes your problems.
  • S'yn
    S'yn
    ✭✭✭
    @sylviermoone: Your advice about Master Merchant was spot on. I followed your instructions and tweaked that ONE variable and now I can log in with all my addons running without any problems! Thank you for that advice.

If this is such a know issue, why would the developer of MM not simply make the delayed initialization the default setting? It seems like it would allow everyone to use it with a LOT less hassles. As a trader, this was always my "can't live without it- addon," so it was the last one I tried to disable.

Thank you ESO community!
  • sylviermoone
    sylviermoone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @sylviermoone: Your advice about Master Merchant was spot on. I followed your instructions and tweaked that ONE variable and now I can log in with all my addons running without any problems! Thank you for that advice.

If this is such a know issue, why would the developer of MM not simply make the delayed initialization the default setting? It seems like it would allow everyone to use it with a LOT less hassles. As a trader, this was always my "can't live without it- addon," so it was the last one I tried to disable.

Thank you ESO community!

We're actually planning on making the delayed initialization the default, and removing the option in the Summerset update of MM for precisely this reason @S'yn.

I'm really glad I was able to help!! Happy gaming!
    Edited by sylviermoone on April 7, 2018 11:01PM
    Co-GM, Angry Unicorn Traders: PC/NA
    "Official" Master Merchant Tech Support
    and Differently Geared AF
    @sylviermoone
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭

I've been having exactly these issues...turns out in my case it was Auto Category. I'm running over 25 add-ons...Auto Category was way too much.
    I know nutting....