Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Help updating my tank

Rhazmuz
Rhazmuz
✭✭✭
Heya

So Ive not played for around 1½ years and just started to come back to the game.

I play mostly as a DK tank, and I see that quite a few things have changed since I last played. So Im looking for some feedback on how to update my tank build/setup. For now it doesnt need to be heavily trial oriented, but good enough for dungeons.

Current build

oYaJRKh.png
(link: eso-skills.com/skill?z=JDHTc2Q+@SzvM6m%DGSVEM5@D94OZKv&a=003232&c=Rhazmuz&b=Outdated_Tank&j=t&q=016&w=33&m=8)

The split between Health and Stamina for attributes is so I do abit of extra damage when I solo, where I swap for a more damage oriented Stamina setup.

Current gear

sgRTpLf.png

I see Elude has changed so you now need 5 medium pieces equipped to use it - which renders it useless for my tank. So thats at least one skill in need of replacement.
All my Tavas Favor gear I guess will need replacement as well.
From reading around these seem like possible candidates:

- Plague Doctor
- Torugs Pact
- Akaviri Dragonguard

I am leaving out Roar of Alkosh as it requires doing trials, which is will take longer to get done, so I suspect the above are better quick choices.
Torugs Pact has the benefit of being a crafted set, so would that be the best choice?

In the end, any input/suggestions/help is appreciated :)
Edited by Rhazmuz on May 11, 2018 9:41AM
Rhazmuz - Nord DK tank
PS4 - EU
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    woeler.eu is probably the best for tanking, have a look on there :)
    Edited by Sparr0w on May 11, 2018 9:38AM
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plague Doctor instead of TAVA

Maybe Balance instead of elude

Woeler is the right place to look for it
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would go more magicka focused if I were you.

I have 20k mag, 40k HP, 15k stam

Change noxious breath to magicka morph (gives 10% increase to all fire dmg.)

SnB ulti/magma armour instead of standard(a defensive ulti and considerably lower cost if you go SnB, you will rarely need it and you will always choose Warhorn before standard anyway)

I would change choking talons to the more dmg morph(for more dmg and you can put minor Maim on the target that needs it with low slash)

Balance(final mage guild skill) instead of spiked armour (it will give you same major buff and better sustain)

Green dragon blood over vigor(better heal for you, less good for team and better stam sustain)

Inner fire instead of shuffle(range taunt and magicka taunt)

Change tava for alkosh or another group buff set.

I run two 5 piece sets one on the backbar and then a 2piece bonus on front bar + monster set.

That is how I would update it.
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakidafi wrote: »
    I would go more magicka focused if I were you.

I have 20k mag, 40k HP, 15k stam

Change noxious breath to magicka morph (gives 10% increase to all fire dmg.)

SnB ulti/magma armour instead of standard(a defensive ulti and considerably lower cost if you go SnB, you will rarely need it and you will always choose Warhorn before standard anyway)

I would change choking talons to the more dmg morph(for more dmg and you can put minor Maim on the target that needs it with low slash)

Balance(final mage guild skill) instead of spiked armour (it will give you same major buff and better sustain)

Green dragon blood over vigor(better heal for you, less good for team and better stam sustain)

Inner fire instead of shuffle(range taunt and magicka taunt)

Change tava for alkosh or another group buff set.

I run two 5 piece sets one on the backbar and then a 2piece bonus on front bar + monster set.

That is how I would update it.

On my pure S&B DK tank, l don't have Alkosh (as l don't really do much trials anymore.) I have Plague D and Green Pact which boost my hp to 50k. It was 74k hp once upon a time, but it wasn't so practical; was really for show. 30-50k hp is more practical. My mag is a bit lower at about 16k, but my stam is round 20k. I just prefer more stam over mag. I use Selene to boost up the stam. Yeah, Magma Shell is a must and l have Aggressive Horn on the other bar. I'm not a fan of Inner Fire or Balance. My taunt is solely from Pierce Armor, though, as l can move around and stab whatever to get agroed. I can save the mag pool for Burning Ember, Green Blood, Volatile Armor, even Flame of Oblivion and l do prefer Choking Talons cause the Burning one doesn't really cause notable damage. I just use the Heroic Slash for the ultimate regen, since you get maim from Choking.

For OP, lots do favor Torug; give it a try. As long as you're ok with lower hp. I like the higher hp with Plague D and GP as it does bump up the Fragmented Shield some, for self and nearby allies. Plus, it's just nice to pop your chest out with higher hp and high resistances. Some peeps may call me selfish tank (as new slangs and acronyms are always popping up in ESO), but how selfish can l really be when l'm already agroed the boss and other higher hp adds, plus throwing off Warhorn or the mighty Magma, in addition to Fragmented or Igneous Shield on them. I'm also slicing and dicing with Pierce Armor with also Crushing enchant. Still, not enough for some peeps. They got the milk and cookies, but damn, l guess they want the cow and pastry factory too. Ha ha.

For example, my bars are as follow:

Front bar: Piercing Armor / Burning Ember / Absorb Magic / Draw Essence / Frag Shield / Ult - Magma Shell

Back bar: Heroic Slash / Choking Talons / Flame of Oblivion / Green Blood / Volatile Armor / Ult - Aggressive Horn

CP: I throw on about 9% to Thick-skin, 10% to the DoT mitigation, about 12.5% to each Hardy and Elemental, 10% to Bastion, and 2067 to HA focus, and the rest into Spell Resist. I rarely use or need to use Volatile Armor buff; although, it's there. I just like buff up with it from time to time just for show. Also, l can't remember last time l actually died on this toon. I surely have no problem soloing anything, even though damage output is a bit low, ha ha, but l have carried many peeps through many of the DLC dungeons, even the newer ones, despite all my other comrades have wiped, even time and time again. Well, that's what a tank supposed to be able to do.

Well, hope my examples help you as the other commentators to improve your tank. Also, you may want to look into a hybrid dd or dpsing tank. Many are going to that, and l have a few in different classes; just the ability to tank while throwing out more dps than a traditional pure S&B tank would. Some of these hybrids are also just outright brutal. It's more for non-vet trial; although, you can tweak a hybrid to do vet trial. I just use mine for world bosses and normal and vet dungeons.