Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Nature of bookshelfs

lassefaxoerwb17_ESO
Is it known if bookshelfs with skill books are static for all players or random for every single player?
  • WhiteQueen
    WhiteQueen
    ✭✭✭
    Someone mentioned in guild chat that bookshelves reset. They didn't say when but they did comment that the bookshelves in the elven queen's palace changed day-today.
  • shapelyzombie
    Does that mean we could theoretically learn new things by visiting old bookshelves? o.O
    I may have to investigate this further. Seems easily abused, if that is the case. Level 4 character camped in the right place and logged into every day could conceivably have advanced skills in a few months without ever actually playing.
    I wasn't an Elder Scrolls fan until ESO. I did like the Construction Set for Morrowind, though.
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    There are only so many books that will advance certain skills. Eventually you won't be able to get any new skill levels from them.

Example, If you find "Mace Etiquette" on a shelf. You will get a level up in sword and board I believe. This particular book will never reset, and you will never be able to level up this skill line with this book ever again.

If there is a reset, it is with the bookshelf itself, it will offer you a new book to read, and if it happens to be one you haven't read yet, it will advance one of your skills.
  • Castielle
    Castielle
    ✭✭✭
    Fex and I were playing today and we got the same skill books from the same shelves. No clue if they reset everyday or not, but since I found 2 of the same book and didn't get a rank up the second time, I don't see why they would...

Cas
  • Aballister
    Aballister
    ✭✭✭
    If they do change, then at least there won't be a list of where to get each skill level up location from.
    Dark Elf Sorc(AD)
  • krees28b14_ESO
    krees28b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    They do change. Not all but some. Click on a shelf and pay attention to what book is trhere, come back tomorrow and it may or may not be a different book.
  • Intrapolly
    Does that mean we could theoretically learn new things by visiting old bookshelves? o.O
    I may have to investigate this further. Seems easily abused, if that is the case. Level 4 character camped in the right place and logged into every day could conceivably have advanced skills in a few months without ever actually playing.

For it to be abused, it would have to be unbalanced. If anything, you'd just be punishing yourself by attempting something like camping a bookcase. Not only does the concept alone scream ridiculous, but actually playing the character and reading bookcases as you encounter them in the world would be more beneficial by far. Also, as @Xionar mentioned, there are a limited number of (skill) books that award the player a skill point in one of the skill lines.

I couldn't tell if your comment was facetious or not. lol
    Edited by Intrapolly on April 2, 2014 11:43AM
  • Mephiston87
    Mephiston87
    ✭✭
    no each area you go to has book shelves with a select design eg bows/sword/clothes/enchanting then there are class ones where u get set class points. they cannot respawn and you cannot learn from them again, say your in glenumbra after you have checked all the books there you need to next progress to the wayrest areas to start collecting new skills from those books etc.

Its a bug and should be reported if it does respawn/or you can reuse them.
    Edited by Mephiston87 on April 2, 2014 11:47AM
  • cromica81_ESO
    cromica81_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Bookshelf s as well as desks, crates, and other lootable Items change with each log in for me.
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Every time you log out and back in, you're placed on a different shard/instance(unless you're grouped) so the shelves/dressers/crates etc have all be reset.

And yes, the books do change, so I check the shelves every time I go back to the mages guild. But you can only learn from a specific book once, and I don't know if certain books are limited to certain areas, or if a specific shelf has a small pool to pull from. So it's highly unlikely, not to mention time consuming, that you'd find every single skill book in the game on the mages guild shelves by resetting the instance over and over.