The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Unexpected internal error has occurred on Xbox one

LadyGrantham
LadyGrantham
Soul Shriven
After not having played for months, I attempted to play Tamriel Unlimited, but the load screen displays Morrowind and after loading the “unexpected internal error.....” message occurs. After several uninstall/clear data/resetting console/reinstall, etc. the same error message displays. I thought maybe buying the Morrowind upgrade would resolve the issue, however, it did not—even after same routine of uninstall, data clear (all other ESO and Microsoft forum discussion fixes ) etc. I have the physical copy and even attempted to install without internet (per Microsoft) and connecting to internet to apply the updates to the game—still error. How can I fix this issue?
  • TwinStripeUK
    TwinStripeUK
    ✭✭✭
    After not having played for months, I attempted to play Tamriel Unlimited, but the load screen displays Morrowind and after loading the “unexpected internal error.....” message occurs. After several uninstall/clear data/resetting console/reinstall, etc. the same error message displays. I thought maybe buying the Morrowind upgrade would resolve the issue, however, it did not—even after same routine of uninstall, data clear (all other ESO and Microsoft forum discussion fixes ) etc. I have the physical copy and even attempted to install without internet (per Microsoft) and connecting to internet to apply the updates to the game—still error. How can I fix this issue?

Are you the only user of the Xbox? The only reason I can think that you would get the Morrowind loading screen is that it's previously been upgraded to it on that console (but not by you). Hence when you boot up, it detects that Morrowind is installed but when it checks your account, you haven't purchased it.

You could try a 'recovery boot' of the console (you'll need to remember your login details and password to do this):

1) Switch the console off by holding the power button in for ten seconds - that clears the cache
    2) Turn the console on by holding in the 'eject' and the 'pair' button (the one you have to press when adding a new controller) and then tapping the power button - if you've done this right, you'll hear the boot-up 'chirps' followed by a second set and you can release the buttons. ***This takes some 'finger-acrobatics' to do on the older models - I found it easier to do with a thumb and forefinger for one side and a thumb for the other***
    3) You should now be booted into a screen called 'Troubleshoot'. You can select 'Continue; or 'Reset this Xbox'; you want 'Reset' - but don't panic, you're NOT going to lose everything!
    4) Select the option 'Keep games and apps', confirm the prompts and let it reboot.
    5) You'll now step through a much shorter version of the setup process when you first fired up the Xbox from new, and it will eventually boot back into your familiar home screen. The only thing you'll notice is that it will check each game or app for 'ownership' when you first start them, which 'should' clear out any garbage. If the data is actually corrupted it will probably ask for a reinstallation.
  • LadyGrantham
    LadyGrantham
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you. I also did a 2nd reset of my gateway and it’s finally resolved.
    Edited by LadyGrantham on January 6, 2018 10:00PM
  • ashdstampede1
    Thanks for this. It happened to me on Xbox and this fixed it.