Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What does scaled, actually mean

mystical_tutor
mystical_tutor
Soul Shriven
I started with Beta, almost as soon as it was available, and have played most all of the MMOs that have been put out. When the scaling of the zones first came out and still I am a bit confused. If it is too mundaine of a subject to elaborate on here a reference to a source would be appreciated.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Scaling in regards to zones simply mean the zone ie its enemies/opositions are scaled to a preset value, of which every player in the zone is automatically brought up to a certain preset character strength in line with the enemies. And thus quest rewards and loot are dynanically adjusted to match your characters actual level.

This was done for the entirety of eso overworld zones so players of all level ranges can play together and earn relative rewards for themselves.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At Beta until One Tamriel, zones had set levels that the player would out-level. So Bal Foyen, my starter zone was locked to level 7 while I was level 50 and killing everything there with a single light attack.

With One Tamriel, all zones are CP 160 and all players are battleleveled to CP 160. Very similar to the old battle-leveling in Cyrodiil to Vet 14, battle leveling scales lower level players to CP 160 with greater benefits the closer their gear is to their level. Players with higher CP continue to benefit from CP until they reach the cap.

This means that the difficulty of zone content is pretty even across the board, with no zones being too hard because of their level and no zones being hilariously easy because of their low level. All quests can be done for full exp, unlike pre One Tamriel where quests could be outleveled.