The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Trait Research Help Pls.

jarrod777
jarrod777
✭✭✭
I have been trying to complete some of my trait research but I am having a problem. I tried obtaining items with the desired trait from the guild stores. But after I get the item the option to research that trait is not there. I tried reclogging, binding the items to my character, and keeping the item for over a day before trying to research it.

Does anyone know why I cannot research the traits of items I buy from guild stores?

Thanks.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you opened the mail and pulled the items out?

Have you locked them?
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • jarrod777
    jarrod777
    ✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    Have you opened the mail and pulled the items out?

Have you locked them?

Yes I took them out of the mail.

I don't believe they are locked. I did not have any reason to lock them because I went straight to the crafting station after purchase. I will try it again tonight and make sure they are not locked.

I took a long break from the game and I had this same problem months ago and never found the problem.

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armor weight is specific too.

If you're trying to research light gloves, then you'll need light gloves (with that trait) to research ... if you're trying to research heavy pauldrons, then you'll need a heavy shoulder piece with that trait.

Seems easy, but players can miss that sometimes.
  • jarrod777
    jarrod777
    ✭✭✭
    Armor weight is specific too.

If you're trying to research light gloves, then you'll need light gloves (with that trait) to research ... if you're trying to research heavy pauldrons, then you'll need a heavy shoulder piece with that trait.

Seems easy, but players can miss that sometimes.

I thought that was the problem originally.

So last night I bought medium boots with divines as the trait. I have the item I'm my bag, it is not locked. I tried to research the boot trait and nothing is there.

I reclogged several times and still nothing.

I have no idea why this wont work. Everyone else tells me its easy, just buy something and research it. I have tried this about 4 different times and it has never worked.

I guess I will submit a ticket.
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you take a screenshot of the item in your inventory and the crafting menu when you try to research it? That might help someone notice what is wrong.

Edited by Hippie4927 on April 29, 2018 8:30PM
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turn off all addons, then try it.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds mega weird. Hope you get sorted
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    You do have an open research slot available, right?
    You only get one without using skill points to open up addition slots to a max of 3 items at a time.

I'm sure that's not it, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also, are you sure it's something you haven't already researched? Is there a magnifying glass icon next to the name of the item, indicating that it's a trait you haven't yet learned? If there's no icon, then you already know that trait.

When you go to the crafting station, does that trait show up as "researchable" or "researched?" Also, as mentioned just above me, do you have an open research slot?
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on May 1, 2018 7:08PM
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure with medium boots you are looking at the leather and not cloth research page.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will say again what has been said. I would look tonsee if that piece has the craft icon next to it first.

If u have the craft icon then take the other steps.

Like make sure u have an open craft spot. It will tell u at the top of screen.

Make sure your at the right crafting station.

Good luck
  • jarrod777
    jarrod777
    ✭✭✭
    Update for those who are wondering.

I am still working on this. All my trait research spots are currently full, and the timers are long. As soon as another spot opens up I am going to try to turn off all the addons and see if that does anything.

And no the research spots were not full when I originally tried to research stuff I bought from guild stores.