Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Vampire & Werewolf Bites should be an Account Upgrade!

cgregsweeney
So I paid 15$ worth of Crowns for a Vampire Bite, and it only turns one character once?

That's kinda overpriced, considering it's something I can do for free...
The way I see it, for that price it should be infinitely re-redeemable. Same for the Werewolf Bite.

Even costumes are cheaper than that, and unlocked on my entire account, permanently available to me.
Why should a consumable item that I can attain for free cost more than a non-consumable item that I can't?

I mean, I'm constantly re-creating my characters.
I literally just FLUSHED those crowns down the toilet, when I deleted my character that was infected.
  • Inoki
    Inoki
    ✭✭✭
    You can always ask for a free bite in game ;) but I agree that something like this, if put in the crown store, should be made significantly cheaper, perhaps maybe 500 or less crowns.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, yes. However, this is one thing I think the crown store did (more) right than other things. Both those curses are available in game, either through finding the right NPCs or having another player bite you. The crown version is literally just paying for convenience to get turned immediately.

I do think they're priced high, especially being a character bound thing, but compared to outfit slots (character bound, single slot, not attainable in any way outside of store, still lost on deletion) they're almost reasonable. Lol

So yes, I do think they should be cheaper BUT I wish this convenient, secondary method of acquisition was what the crown store revolved around rather than artificial scarcity and RNG.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • cgregsweeney
    heaven13 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, yes. However, this is one thing I think the crown store did (more) right than other things. Both those curses are available in game, either through finding the right NPCs or having another player bite you. The crown version is literally just paying for convenience to get turned immediately.

I do think they're priced high, especially being a character bound thing, but compared to outfit slots (character bound, single slot, not attainable in any way outside of store, still lost on deletion) they're almost reasonable. Lol

So yes, I do think they should be cheaper BUT I wish this convenient, secondary method of acquisition was what the crown store revolved around rather than artificial scarcity and RNG.
    I agree that artificial scarcity (pre-order exclusives, items only available for a limited time, etc.) and RNG grab bags are a plague, on every MMO's monetization system- not just ESO's.

Believe me, I've earned serious ire from many different online communities for speaking out against that kinda BS (because that's all it is) and I was even banned from the DCUO forums for discussing it.

Ridiculous, I know- the reason they cited was "trolling" or "spamming" which are just placeholders they use when they don't actually have a legitimate reason for banning someone but they want to shut them up.

If ever a game company deserved to be shuttered for being owned by a Russian Oligarch who was "placed under sanction by the US Treasury Department earlier this month for malign and destabilizing activities in various international affairs" it's Daybreak Games.

But I digress. Creating artificial scarcity to get people to frantically buy things NOW instead of when it's convenient for them because it won't be available later is an underhanded, regrettably commonplace, and scuzzy business tactic. Yes.

Not to mention it's equatable to Jack cutting open the Goose that laid the Golden Eggs. You put all that effort into creating content, and then you stop selling it after a certain point- forever? People demand it. You can easily continue to supply it. You're literally only hurting your own company in the long run by refusing that business.

I realize that it being unobtainable only fans the flames of desire, making people desperately want things they otherwise might not have cared about- but if you don't capitalize on that want, it's pointless. You're just creating pent up frustration that'll never be resolved and will benefit noone- and in fact, may actually give rise to resentment and other toxic attitudes.

I also believe that "outfit slots" should be account bound, as well as Riding Skills. 500 is still too expensive for a consumable though. 100 Crowns for that convenience would be more appropriate.

- and don't even get me started on name, appearance and race changing tokens. We ALL know those prices are messed.

Oh my word, I've gone off on a tangent. Sorry. :sweat_smile:
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The vampire and werewolf bites are in the store as a convenience, and possibly as a last resort. Back in the beginning, groups of /sarcasm/ wonderful players decided to get together and kill all the werewolf and bloodspawns as soon as they appeared in the game, and then basically extort gold from players who wanted to get bitten. Some of the most wonderfullest players not only demanded to be paid, but would scam the player out of the gold and not bite them. There were many threads about it back then. When the game started, 50k or more was a lot of gold to get together.

That behavior back then is what makes me offer ww bites for free. I have a full roster of characters, and all but three new ones are werewolf.
  • Imhotep71
    Imhotep71
    ✭✭✭
    Why anyone would pay crowns for a bite is beyond me. Its takes 5-10 minutes at a shrine to get a bite.

Hell if youre PS4 NA just PM me I have like 5 bites up as most of my toons are Vamps.
    Ever dance with the Devil in the pale moonlight?

• Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paying for convenience, most stuff is overpriced but hey where's there's demand.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • resdayn00
    resdayn00
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve never bought a vampire/werewolf bite from the CS simply because I’d be able to get a bite for free anytime. Being a constructive member and a friendly person really helps you build networks and loyal friendships, where giving a bite is just a little favour anyone would gladly do to a friend/ally. Even if I didn’t have so many friends, people are selling bites in zone chats for max. 10k gold.

I have an idea that the crown store version could be made into an item/collectible that when used/interacted with, would turn you into a werewolf/vampire. It’d have infinite uses of course. You’d still have to get cured if you want to get rid of it, everything would be the same except that this item/collectible replaces the getting infected part with a more convenient method. It could even be an interactable furnishing item like the mundus stones. Not P2W, and still something for your money that doesn’t go down the drain if you decide to get cured.
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact
    Resdayn Indoril, Dunmer Magicka Nightblade - Main

Pactum Dunmeri | Ard Feainn | Aetherius Art | Kley Guild

Achievement points: 26k+
  • Stewart1874
    Stewart1874
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was daft. Complete and utter waste of crowns mate :(

Could easily get one free.
    PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
  • cgregsweeney
    resdayn00 wrote: »
    I have an idea that the crown store version could be made into an item/collectible that when used/interacted with, would turn you into a werewolf/vampire. It’d have infinite uses of course. You’d still have to get cured if you want to get rid of it, everything would be the same except that this item/collectible replaces the getting infected part with a more convenient method. It could even be an interactable furnishing item like the mundus stones. Not P2W, and still something for your money that doesn’t go down the drain if you decide to get cured.
    Essentially what I had in mind. Like a Blood Fountain, for both- but with distinctly different looks.

It could even be usable by other players, so if someone wants to be turned they don't have to go all the way to a shrine to make it happen. Can just pick a spot they like, or do it wherever they are. That'd be convenient.

As for the players killing off all the mobs that would spawn, what if the way to get bitten required entering a solo instance?
    That was daft. Complete and utter waste of crowns mate :(

Could easily get one free.
    I know. That's the issue.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bites are free.

Why on earth would you pay for them.

An no to account wide, as you might not want it on all toons.

ALWAYS check forum / online before you buy Crown stuff
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • cgregsweeney
    Beardimus wrote: »
    Bites are free.

My original thought was that you'd go into the Crown Store and "redeem it" another time, but it'd be free since you already purchased it. Although I like that other person's suggestion of it being a Collectible.

So no, it wouldn't apply to all your characters, just the ones you want.

- and yes, I know, it was dumb, I know, I get it. That's the issue. If I'm gonna pay for it, it may as well be worth the price, and making it an infinitely re-redeemable account upgrade is the only way I can see it being worth 15$
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's kinda overpriced, considering it's something I can do for free...
    Much like riding lessons, right? Or crown bought inventory upgrades? And so on...

You (over)pay for the convenience.

In the case of bites, for getting it at -any- time, and without having to go to the fourth region and find those pesky infectors... and yeah, its much better not to spend your money there, but instead take the time to get those bites for free from the NPC critters.
  • Stewart1874
    Stewart1874
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    Bites are free.

My original thought was that you'd go into the Crown Store and "redeem it" another time, but it'd be free since you already purchased it. Although I like that other person's suggestion of it being a Collectible.

So no, it wouldn't apply to all your characters, just the ones you want.

- and yes, I know, it was dumb, I know, I get it. That's the issue. If I'm gonna pay for it, it may as well be worth the price, and making it an infinitely re-redeemable account upgrade is the only way I can see it being worth 15$

Hope you don't feel bad. I did similar with the ancient elf motif not long after release. A.) this was before all the changes B.) Paladium was still a rare drop C.) AA was still a rare drop.

I think everyone's been stung once or twice by ZOS and their shady shop. Just about learning from it and picking and choosing what you spend your crowns on wisely. IMO the best use of them is either saving them for the eventuality something comes up you absolutely have to have or saving them up between crown crate seasons and splurging on them (basically free anyway). The outfit slots are also bang on 1500 IIRC?

You live and learn :)

Edit: just to add, there is no way a bite is worth 1500 in any sane world and likewise neither is the exotic motif pack at 5000. Seems like its designed to rip off newbies who think its a good deal. If I got crowns as a present and was new to this game and didn't realise and then spent my crowns on that it would leave a seriously bad taste in my mouth. I hope ZOS remedy this, completely pointless offering that could be bought for under 20k.
    Edited by Stewart1874 on May 1, 2018 9:12PM
    PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
  • illusiouk
    illusiouk
    ✭✭✭
    The crown price for bites have to come down. Some players don't have the time to hunt down the NPCS or want to risk dealing with scammers or even have guilds / friends who will give them a bite.

The crown price should be 500 crowns in my opinion and ZOS can still makes a profit on a skill that can be provided technically for free by other players.

• JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    illusiouk wrote: »
    The crown price for bites have to come down. Some players don't have the time to hunt down the NPCS or want to risk dealing with scammers or even have guilds / friends who will give them a bite.

The crown price should be 500 crowns in my opinion and ZOS can still makes a profit on a skill that can be provided technically for free by other players.
    Hard to get scammed if someone is giving the bites away for free.

If you get to the shrine and they ask for gold, not a single thing stops you from walking away.

If they ask for gold when they offer, not a single thing stops you from saying no thanks.
  • illusiouk
    illusiouk
    ✭✭✭
    Players have been scammed.
  • illusiouk
    illusiouk
    ✭✭✭
    Dodgy connection..

Players have been scammed in the past, not everyone has that righteous outlook on it as you do. Players desperate for the vamp bite will take a chance hence a lot do get scammed.

Back on topic, Vampire Bite cost has to come down.