Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Any tips for re-starting the game?

Tygerfire
Tygerfire
✭✭
So I've played for years on X1, but with a new PC, I just decided to start again and experience all of the fun add-ons as well as enhanced graphics.

I'm a bit torn on whether I should just play the game as a newbie would, or if I should go ahead and grind to 50 to build up a bit of loot, skill points, etc..., and start the long grind of CP.

I"m sort of leaning towards getting to 50 as fast as possible, and then just building CP as I actually play the game.

I was a mastercrafter on X1, so I'll also be working towards that as much as possible too.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you've already done quests in your firs play trough, go grind to 50 then 160, then start questing and gathering books, skyshards etc. Grind is really fast, though a bit boring. You can basically hit CP160 in a week or so. Have someone craft training sets every ~10 levels, and go in normal Maelstrom or in one of the known grind spots in various zones. Skyreach is also good, but you'll need carry since you don't have the CP. Quest rewards are leveled so it makes sense to level, then do those. A handful of items obtained from quests can be actually sold, since they are part of sets and have good traits.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thing is, just getting you to L50 means you have 64 Skill Points, and you can't do much with a character that has that amount.

If you do the story content, by the time you get L50 you will have a lot more skill points to work with.

But, if you want to skip the questing and hit L50, then follow this so you have a character that you can work with, rather than work around:
    Let me give you an example of what I did with my last two leveling characters.

1. I collected all the Skyshards in the zone. I avoided any and all quests other than those that show up in the delves that have skyshards. These quests do not give set items for rewards so no loss there.
    2. I would farm the dolmens a few times to get set jewelry that helped my character
    3. I would do the Public Dungeons including all the bosses
    4. Then I would move to the next zone.

In doing this, I could fully gear up my character with level appropriate stuff, and it was helpful gear. May not have been the best, but you don't need the best while leveling. Any gear I farmed from Dolmens or PD's is repeatable, so I can get it at CP160 by just repeating. Then, I had all the content quests left for me once I reached CP160 as those can give you sweet Set Drops in good traits you want. And, Quest Experience is huge for gaining CPs once your past CP160. Kind of a waste before that.

In about 8 zones, I would be fully leveled in Mages, Fighters, Class, 3 Armors and Weapon Skills. Note to get the farthest in the least number of zones for Mages, concentrate on one Alliance for the first 5 zones. Leaving only Undaunted to level, although I would get to almost 3 in that from Dungeon Achievements.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Tygerfire
    Tygerfire
    ✭✭
    Would you believe I completely forgot about the fact that since this is completely new playthrough, that I have to go to cp160 and not just 50. I"m so spoiled by my other account...lol.

Basically, i'm leaning towards a combination of the two. I like the idea of completely clearing a zone (something that I didn't really do on X1), and I also like to grind a bit while watching tv ( my version of grinding is basically dolmens).
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I usually level my characters in the most "bare bones" way possible, meaning I don't invest in passives, as I go, but fully level the active skills, and skill lines as fast as I can. By the time I hit 50 I have 2 weapon skills, 1 armor skill and all 3 class skill maximized, with Fighters Guild around 6. Then I grind dolmens for varying lengths. For magicka chars I don't need more than destro & resto so I stop grinding when I have every morph at IV. For stamina chars I go to Fighters Guild 10, and train the other 2 weapon lines as well as I go. I do one or more respec to fill those as they are unlocked, since I have only about 70 skill points (64 from leveling, 1 from Maelstrom 1-2 from tutorials, 1st main quest in zone, public dungeon event and a couple of skyshards on top of that). At the end I do a final respec, fill just enough skills to fill 2 bars, then drop everything else into the really important passives. Then the char is ready to grab the skyshards and such since overland mobs die quite easily if you know what yo're doing. I've done my 4 chars the slow way before One Tamriel because zones didn't scale, so I would have had no advantage from grinding to maximum level; it was tedious to boot since you had to level each char to VR16. But the ones that hit 50 after that were done the speedy way :)
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |