The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Are Daedric Princes Capable of Sorrow and Guilt?

Almakor
Almakor
✭✭✭
People say that there is no such thing as a "good" Daedric Prince. That they should not be judged by mortal standards of morality. However, I just read one of the Accords of Madness. Sheogorath tricked Malacath into killing and damning his mortal son Emmeg Gro-Kayra. It cleared showed Malacath consumed with grief over what he had done. Can it not be argued that he might also be capable of compassion? If Malacath is capable of these emotions, might not other Princes as well?
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Malacath.gif
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, I was about to explain that same story to you but you beat me to it. I think daedric princes like sanguine and azura really care for their followers while daedric princes like molag bal would simply use you and dispose of you. Ofc daedric princes like azura would smite you if you ever turned your back on them but I feel sanguine would be like meh, end of party
  • PrayingSeraph
    PrayingSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malacath definitely can.
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They may do according to their own standards, but it would be almost impossible for a mortal to comprehend, like ants trying to figure out if the person stomping on them feels sorrow or guilt.
  • MAEK
    MAEK
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is nothing that says that the daedric princes can't show compassion, the only problem is that they would rarely have reason to do so. Take Molag Bal for example: he enslaves mortals all the time but he feels no remorse for this because in his eyes it's not something evil. If, however, he did something he would regret he could likely feel sorrow for it (although I have no idea what that would be).
  • Kierro
    Kierro
    ✭✭✭
    Azura
    Meridia
    Hircine
    Malacath
    Sanguine

Seem like the Daedra who care for their followers. They can be said to be "Good/Neutral", especially Hircine.
  • Almakor
    Almakor
    ✭✭✭
    Kierro wrote: »
    Azura
    Meridia
    Hircine
    Malacath
    Sanguine

Seem like the Daedra who care for their followers. They can be said to be "Good/Neutral", especially Hircine.

When have Hircine or Sanguine grieved for their followers?
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's not genuine.

Morrowind:
    Azura and the Nerevarine for example, while along the way acting like he was important to her, he was just used to get rid of Sotha Sil. All followers are pawns to them and are manipulated by appealing to the compassion of mortals, becasue they know what makes them tick. Mind games...
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
  • Kierro
    Kierro
    ✭✭✭
    Almakor wrote: »
    Kierro wrote: »
    Azura
    Meridia
    Hircine
    Malacath
    Sanguine

When have Hircine or Sanguine grieved for their followers?

Um, Hircine created the various terianthropic diseases that make mortals into were-beasts. He's literally known as the Father of the Man-Beasts and Guardian of Were-Creatures. It's literally in his name... http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Hircine He protects and avenges his followers.

Sanguine is a pleasure provider. His realms hold many pleasures for his followers' every erotic need, be it light or dark. http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Sanguine Sanguine has little to no control over his followers, he gives them what they want and walks away.
    Edited by Kierro on April 29, 2018 7:39PM
  • PrayingSeraph
    PrayingSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kelces wrote: »
    I think it's not genuine.

Morrowind:
    Azura and the Nerevarine for example, while along the way acting like he was important to her, he was just used to get rid of Sotha Sil. All followers are pawns to them and are manipulated by appealing to the compassion of mortals, becasue they know what makes them tick. Mind games...

We can see in ESO and Oblivion that Azura genuinely cares for her followers, even when they serve no further purpose. Seen in her quest in Grahtwood, and her shrine quest in Oblivion where she wants you to end the suffering of her feral vampiric followers.

Azura has a deep jealous love. She sees her followers as hers and will try to help them, but if she gets spurned by them, she wont take it well.

Malacath sees orcs as his children. He is not a cruel warrior god like Boethiah is.

Meridia seems to care and will protect her people, like how she saved Delodiil from Abagarlas.

Hircine seems to at the very least respect his followers.
    Edited by PrayingSeraph on May 1, 2018 5:41AM