Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

armour choice when you have no armour skills

soulclaw
soulclaw
✭✭✭
If I have not gotten around to spending points on the armour passives is there any reason not to wear plate for the best armour rating or there some unwritten effects to wearing the armour even if you do not spend points on the relevant skill?
Sweetie, can you show us on the doll where the bad man from Blizzard touched you?

• Tidelurker
    Tidelurker
    Soul Shriven
    I haven't leveled very far yet, but it looked to me like those passives are very powerful and worth investing in eventually. I'd still wear medium (physical damage, dodging, and sneaking) or light (magical abilities), just so you can keep leveling your skill in them for the long-term.

For the short-term though, I suppose you could wear heavy or whatever is best. There are no extra effects or speed limitations for the armor type your character wears.
    Disclaimer: I'm still learning just about everything for this game, at a leisurely pace... but I'll try to help with what knowledge I have!
  • Swordmage
    Swordmage
    ✭✭✭
    The only reason not to just wear plate would be so that you can level another armor skill line (but that can be done by just mixing in one of the light or medium armor pieces -- I do remember finding a nice light armor belt with an exploration XP bonus).
  • Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    I personally level with a mixture of all 3 armor types, this way you level all 3 at the same time, even if not spending skill points in them. In this manner you can respec later at a different point in time if you choose to swap armor preferences around, without having to skill it up again.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, follow this and it might be of use to you. http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/63690/the-new-character-what-skill-to-take-guide#latest

As far as default abilities, I dont think there is any. But most of the time the armor comes flavored, like light armor will have something magicka related on it, and heavy will have HP related... not the rule, but a pattern.