The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

A warning to non Steam ESO owners: Keep steam shut down while playing with a controller.

FatalErrorDriveB
This is not an ESO issue, which is why I'm posting here as opposed to the bug forum.

If you did not buy ESO from Steam, and you use a controller, shut Steam down completely before playing ESO. If you do not, there is an issue where every button you push on your controller will activate a secondary keyboard key. This often causes issues such as accidentally attacking NPS's, or the inability to open the menus, and many others.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure this out; 4+ days before it occurred to me that Steam may be the issue. I don't know if this problem is well known, or obscure, but I didn't see anything on it, so I decided to post this.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Luckily i'm on PC so i use an actual keyboard and mouse..
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DanteYoda wrote: »

There's a good number of people who use controllers on PC. Steam controller, XBox controller, PS4 controller.... especially those folks who connect their PCs to their big TVs and play games from the couch.

(heck, I've even heard of people who use controllers for first-person shooters, on PC. Strange as that seems.)

edit: I've used a controller with my PC, but only for games that are designed to be better that way - generally ports of console things. Like Bastion, or JRPGs.
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on April 30, 2018 2:01PM
  • FatalErrorDriveB
    DanteYoda wrote: »

I play on PC too, but I use a controller. Mainly because my hands don't bend properly so a controller is easier and means that I can play this game without pain.
    Edited by FatalErrorDriveB on April 30, 2018 3:07PM
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m not sure that’s built into steam. Do you have controller companion? Or some other type of keyboard or mouse emulator?
  • FatalErrorDriveB
    I’m not sure that’s built into steam. Do you have controller companion? Or some other type of keyboard or mouse emulator?

I do have controller companion, however I always shut it down before playing ESO, CC was not the cause of this issue. Only closing Steam seemed to fix it for me.
  • itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KnM ftw
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~
  • Lunerdog
    Lunerdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    itsfatbass wrote: »
    KnM ftw

This sort of attitude stinks tbh, one person in this thread has already said that they use a controller as keyboard and mouse = pain for them, I also use a controller due to arthritis in my hands and can't do keyboard and mouse for long without it becoming painful.

The issue with Steam and controllers arises because Steam assumes it's being used all the time, (even if a totally unrelated full screen application is being used) and will hijack the commands.

If your ESO ain't Steamed, then close Steam.