The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Magsorc or Magwarden for CC, support, and heals?

Rocento
Rocento
Soul Shriven
I'm unsure what I want to run with. Both have great utility. Warden has a TON of inherent buffs that are really strong while having passives that play well together with Frost Staves. Meanwhile, Sorc makes me feel closer to EQ/EQ2 enchanter than I ever felt in any recent MMO.

For my playstyle, I like to do all of the above as the title says including helping with DPS. I enjoy making my enemies feel like fish in a barrel so I've got a big fondness for abilities like Absorption Field, Encase, and Rune Prison to make things easier on tanks and DPS. I like making my allies stronger as well as keeping them alive whether it's through interrupts, stuns, buffs, or using that lovely teleportation skill under Winter's Embrace. And I like to stay at a distance so I have a better view of everything while supporting with damage and resource management for my allies through abilities like Elemental Drain, Quick Siphon, Energy Orb, etc.

I've looked into these classes extensively and can see that both are pretty strong with the former being more focused on damage and crowd control and the latter being more focused on buffs and heals. In spite of this, I'm not sure what I want to run So I was wondering if I could get some input from more experienced players who have healed as either one or both on that.

Thanks in advance. o7
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if it's for pvp a frost staff/resto combo on a magwarden is a fun support/heal support style. if it's for pve ie dungeons and what not you may want to go sorc, or at least not use a frost staff as heavy attacks from that agro, which makes the job harder for the tank.
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • Rocento
    Rocento
    Soul Shriven
    if it's for pvp a frost staff/resto combo on a magwarden is a fun support/heal support style. if it's for pve ie dungeons and what not you may want to go sorc, or at least not use a frost staff as heavy attacks from that agro, which makes the job harder for the tank.

That's only if I take the Tri-Focus passive though, isn't it? I was planning on using Frost for the chilled and roots as well as Ancient Knowledge that I can use for additional survivability. So that shouldn't be an issue.

So why Sorc for dungeons over Warden?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nord_Raseri is right.

I hope this is for PvP, @Rocento, because crowd control is usually up to the tank in PvE. Utility builds are generally asked to contribute DPS in those situations (e.g. vet dungeons).

But, you’re on the right track. Sorc shattering prison is a strong root and is great in all types of content. Wardens have all sorts of ice skills and crowd control, too, in addition to all the buffs at their disposal.

It’s really what best fits your playstyle ... and the only bad news is simply leveling up the other class if you want to change.

• Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rocento wrote: »

That's only if I take the Tri-Focus passive though, isn't it? I was planning on using Frost for the chilled and roots as well as Ancient Knowledge that I can use for additional survivability. So that shouldn't be an issue.

So why Sorc for dungeons over Warden?

the other issue with using a frost staff in pve is that it doesn't do as much damage as fire and lightning. it does have cc bonuses but like Taleof2Cities said, you're going to need to do damage in dungeons if you're not the tank or healer, fire staff does more single target damage and lightning does more aoe damage. now after summerset drops you could make a magwarden frost staff tank and be viable because of the set changes to 2handed weapons. but as far as pve dps, magwarden falls a bit short.
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I will echo the other statements here. Both are solid contenders for what you describe assuming pvp. In pve CC is generally not the healer or damage dealers job, and likewise there is little reason for non tank setups to use frost staff in pve.

For pve healing however, both are fine. Matriarch is a very strong group heal, you have overload bar for more utility options like orbs, blood altar etc etc. Along with the obvious resto staff options. Warden is a little more straight forward with its skill trees but same deal, equal parts restobstaff and a few class abilities. Note that sorc and warden are the only 2 healers that can provide minor intellect to allies.

I would like to note that inbmy experience, its much easier to play a tanky warden healer in pvp, where sorc healing in pvp is a little harder, because its easy to focus matriarch and sorc sheild stacking, while very potent, tends to put sorcs on tilt when focused compared to SnB magwardens.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want CCs don’t choose Warden lol. With the exception of Permafrost (200ult cost) Wardens have no class hard CC abilities.

Is this PvE or PvP?

Warden has better heals and support skills all around, but Sorc has Negate and (if a healer) a good burst heal from Twilight Matriarch. Depends on content and especially your intentions to know what is better for you.
    Edited by Vaoh on April 29, 2018 10:27AM