The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Question with combat and mouse usage

Joxer61
Joxer61
✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, running into a bit of an issue so want to know what others are doing. Do you have an uber Razor mouse or just a normal gaming one? I ask because how are you doing rotations? If LA and HA are on the mouse and you have attacks on say 1-5, how do you move AND attack? I am used to moving my character with the mouse and thus having my left hand free for the keys. I have rebound several keys, weap swap, dodge and such, so to make them more accessible but really...with having to use the keyboard only to move (WASD) how are you all hitting the attacks as well, and still moving? Is you mouse keyed/programed different to where you use it to move? IS that even a thing...cuz if it is then yea, that might be a huge help. Any tips would be most helpful. Cheers!

(oh snap...think I sorted it! moved the move forward key the RMB and interrupt to ~ and it seems to work. But still curious as to if that's the correct option and/or what folks do. I think this is where I struggled in the past with this game so would be keen to sort it)
Edited by Joxer61 on April 28, 2018 5:05PM
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have a 5 key mouse and have my skills on 1-5 and movement on WASD. On my mouse I have the standart stuff and push to talk, barswap and dodge. You will never use more then two keys of WASD at once, so with usually three fingers on those keys you always have at least one to press skills. For me this works perfectly fine.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FakeFox wrote: »
    I have a 5 key mouse and have my skills on 1-5 and movement on WASD. On my mouse I have the standart stuff and push to talk, barswap and dodge. You will never use more then two keys of WASD at once, so with usually three fingers on those keys you always have at least one to press skills. For me this works perfectly fine.

Yea, that's actually pretty much the setup I had but it felt like I had to stop to use a skill and then I would get smacked.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Joxer61 wrote: »
    FakeFox wrote: »

Yea, that's actually pretty much the setup I had but it felt like I had to stop to use a skill and then I would get smacked.

I guess it's mostly getting used to swapping around your fingers, in order to always be able to press what you need in time. I have been playing like this for like ten years through multiple MMOs.^^
    But I don't think there is a much better setup possible and you will always run into the same issue unless you change your hardware.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's my keyboard setup for left hand :).
    MprNTID.jpg

I'm right hand person, and my right hand operates a standard Logitech M90 mouse with only 2 buton + roller (for distance view) and roller button (for bar swap). That's all I need from controllers to play effectively in good comfort.
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a mouse with just two side buttons and a scroll wheel.

Abilities are mapped
    1 - mouse wheel forward
    2 - mouse wheel back
    3 - front side button
    4 - back side button
    5 - Q key

Dodge roll is press mouse wheel.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

Abilities are mapped
    1 - mouse wheel forward
    2 - mouse wheel back
    3 - front side button
    4 - back side button
    5 - Q key

So you use your mouse for attack, no?
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Abilities are mapped
    1 - mouse wheel forward
    2 - mouse wheel back
    3 - front side button
    4 - back side button
    5 - Q key

Mostly. Ultimate and one ability are still on keyboard, but those are used sparingly (the Q usually has a long buff on it), and so i can drive around with WADS while simultaneously performing attacks with the mouse buttons (that's what you wanted to know, yes? how to move and attack at the same time?)
  • EvilKiwi
    EvilKiwi
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Razer MMO mouse which has 12 buttons. 1-5 for skills, 6 for weapon swap, 7-10 for quick slot items and 11 to crouch.
    No Lollygagging.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Abilities are mapped
    1 - mouse wheel forward
    2 - mouse wheel back
    3 - front side button
    4 - back side button
    5 - Q key

Mostly. Ultimate and one ability are still on keyboard, but those are used sparingly (the Q usually has a long buff on it), and so i can drive around with WADS while simultaneously performing attacks with the mouse buttons (that's what you wanted to know, yes? how to move and attack at the same time?)

Yup, exactly what I was looking for! Wasn't sure how folks were doing it and I have sort of done the opposite with putting movement on the mouse clicks. Feels weird so may try what you have set up.....Cheers! ;)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use my
    I ask because how are you doing rotations? If LA and HA are on the mouse and you have attacks on say 1-5, how do you move AND attack?

Ring and Middle Fingers hit the attacks, while Pinky and Index hit the WASD keys.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silly me just realized that this game isn't like GW2, where ALL your skills are on your keyboard and mouse is movement only. Here you use the mouse to attack as well, and it feels better in a sense. I tried binding keys to have movement on the mouse (attack RMB,eyc.) and it just felt clunky. Stick with what works eh!! ;)
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use QWERTfor skills 1-5.
    Forward/backward move is spacebar/B - That way thumb does both.
    Left/right move is S/D. Can access Q, RT all the time. I slot lesser used skills to WE since those fingers also do my lateral movement. Have gotten used to actually circling one direction or the other based on required skills.

I've tried other arrangements but really need the simplicity of my skills all in a sequential row. I only play PvE. Healplar, Magsorc, DKtank all do well without much move/fight challenge. Bow/bow stamsorc is the biggest challenge since movement is so critical for her.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • SosRuvaak
    SosRuvaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have skills on mouse, standard setup on keyboard.
    i have all corsair stuff, k95 keyboard and scimitar mouse.
    when i use my keyboard i find that i can get my combos off quicker and without delay than on my mouse. I have soo much more trouble using my keyboard for abilities, i dont think id ever switch from my mouse bound skills.
    For the Pact!
    ~Sump Scales~
    Lusty Argonian Nightblade
    ~Baron Humbert von Gikkingen~
    Smokes-His-Greens
    ~Ruvaak~