Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Best Versatility Race for Templar

Clarebear
Clarebear
✭✭
What race do you all think gives Templar the most versatility for playing as melee or swapping to a caster or healer?
  • Clarebear
    Clarebear
    ✭✭
    I figured it was to early to tell but I thought I would get at least a couple answers by now oh well.../sigh
  • Melody
    Melody
    I'm wondering the same thing. I'm thinking of going melee just a little bit but mostly attacking from a distance. That way I can blow things up and if they get to me I can whack them over the head and take a couple of hits.
  • Clarebear
    Clarebear
    ✭✭
    Yah that was my thought too...
  • lupusrex
    lupusrex
    ✭✭✭
    The only race to get both a Stamina and a Magicka bonus is Dunmer. That will boost your resource bar and damage (or healing) for both melee and magic. Argonian is a nice possibility since they'll heal themselves more.

Otherwise you could pick a race with better bonuses in one category and make up the difference when you pick your attributes. Honestly, I don't think race makes a huge difference in this case.
    Martial Keen-Eye ~ Templar Healer/Archer ~ Daggerfall Covenant

"I ain't done nothin'."
  • Clarebear
    Clarebear
    ✭✭
    Think I'll go for the Breton race for now...lol
  • carstedes
    carstedes
    I'm playing a Templar as my main and I am a High Elf. I think that is the best race to play as if you plan on being a healer or caster Templar because the High Elf passives are awesome for magika management. I'm playing in light armor for both weapon sets. My primary is a healer (Restoring Light) using a resto stafff, and then I can swap to a destro staff and use Dawn's Wraith and get awesome burst damage. But of course all of that info is only if you plan on being a caster; I'm not really sure which race would be best if you wanted to swap between healing and melee dps, Breton perhaps?
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was an imperial templar in beta, worked pretty well, ended up being healtank in dungeons, the increased hp racial buff was great for that. Of course only played that race for templar so its hardly a reference to know which race would suit it best.
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    I'm having an issue with my sun burst (I think that's what it's called) doing very little damage compared to my sword, though it may just be me and its the way its supposed to be.
    Ulyn Andrano

VR3 Dark Elf Dragonknight

Ebonheart Pact
  • carstedes
    carstedes
    Skjlvald wrote: »
    I'm having an issue with my sun burst (I think that's what it's called) doing very little damage compared to my sword, though it may just be me and its the way its supposed to be.

@Skjlvald I think you mean Sun Fire, and it's scaled with your magika pool. So if you have a lot more stamina then magika then it should be doing less damage.

• Xionar
    Xionar
    ✭✭✭
    I like dunmer, fairly balanced in magicka/stamina pools with a slight increase with magicka. Along with the extra fire resistance, giving you the potential of viably playing as a vampire. Allows for tons of versatility.
  • smilingmaybe
    smilingmaybe
    ✭✭✭
    Unless racial bonuses bypass the softcap on health/stamina/magica regen, they seem meaningless.

Anyone know if they do, or do not?
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you want caster/healer templar then Breton, only.All racial passives are about magicka regen except spell resistance, and also have +15% buff to light armor line experience. Best choice.
  • TheGodless1
    TheGodless1
    ✭✭✭
    Breton and Argonian...maybe High Elf for the magika bonus..but both Dark Elf and High Elf are more damage focused and not real whippy on healing...they heal okay but nowhere near the breton/argonians...Either of those 4 races should give you the passives and racials to benefit you in some way as a templar...more than the others in my opinion.