The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Negate (Silence) should not affect Repentance and similar skills

RealPhoenix
RealPhoenix
✭✭✭
So, the tooltip of Negate states that it silences enemy players, which in turn prevents them from casting spells (and ultimates).
From my understanding, spells in eso are all skills that costs magicka.
So why are skills like repentance or the warden netch affected by a negate? Those skills do not have a cost and - in my opinion - should not be classified as spells.

This, of course, only affects the Morph Repentance and not the base version and the other morph of the skill.
For the warden skill, only the mag version is affected and the stam version is not. I do not think that is correct behaviour as both skills do not have a cost, even though I do understand where it comes from more here as the mag morph will be chosen by the magicka wardens 99% of the time. Repentance however is used by both magicka and stamina templars.
PC EU - @RealPhoenix | Cyrodiil´s FIST | 1500 CP | Dedicated PvP Player | 36k Achievement Points
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consistency has never been ZOSs strong suit.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh noes.. negate barely negates so let it go. :'( Nerf sorc healer thread who knew the day would come .

So being reasonable now negate literally negates enemy placed effects. It's like earthgore can remove some mysterious things. It also stuns or silences and either heals or does damage.

P.S
    Negate maybe I misjuged you. I might slot again someday.
    Edited by Tasear on April 27, 2018 2:10PM
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're still spells regardless of what they cost (or dont cost). Netch is still summoning a creature, that's a spell (even though it's free). Repentance is still using the 'power of the light' to draw energy from corpses, that's also a spell.

Technically abilities like vigor should be effected as well, regardless of the stamina cost. Really the only thing you should be able to do while silenced is swing your weapons =P
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • RealPhoenix
    RealPhoenix
    ✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    Oh noes.. negate barely negates so let it go. :'( Nerf sorc healer thread who knew the day would come .

So being reasonable now negate literally negates enemy placed effects. It's like earthgore can remove some mysterious things. It also stuns or silences and either heals or does damage.

P.S

Have you ever played pvp? It is THE ultimate that kills stacking enemy groups.

Also, this has nothing to do with nerfing sorc healers at all, it is a PvP Comment cause as stated, it affects enemy player´s abilities and not PvE.
    Edited by RealPhoenix on April 27, 2018 2:21PM
    PC EU - @RealPhoenix | Cyrodiil´s FIST | 1500 CP | Dedicated PvP Player | 36k Achievement Points
  • RealPhoenix
    RealPhoenix
    ✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    They're still spells regardless of what they cost (or dont cost). Netch is still summoning a creature, that's a spell (even though it's free). Repentance is still using the 'power of the light' to draw energy from corpses, that's also a spell.

Technically abilities like vigor should be effected as well, regardless of the stamina cost. Really the only thing you should be able to do while silenced is swing your weapons =P

You should read a bit closer. Only the magicka netch is affected.
    Also, you are going by the visual effects, which doesnt make sense at all. By that, probably every skill but some of the stamina weapon skill line skills would be a spell.

• Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fr3ak1n0ut wrote: »

P.S

Also, this has nothing to do with nerfing sorc healers at all, it is a PvP Comment cause as stated, it affects enemy player´s abilities and not PvE.

I was joking but it's honestly working as intended and skill usually questionable at best. It negates some npc or mob skills so yes it does count for both. Honestly I think skill needs attention but not in that direction you want. It's effect hardly has usage as it is.
    Edited by Tasear on April 27, 2018 2:26PM
  • RealPhoenix
    RealPhoenix
    ✭✭✭

I was joking but it's honestly working as intended and skill usually questionable at best. It negates some npc or mob skills so yes it does count for both. Honestly I think skill needs attention but not in that direction you want. It's effect hardly has usage as it is.

I can only state it again - this affects pvp. Negate has a huge impact in that area and can definetly be considered one of the best ultimates.
    For PvE its uses are limited, even though it is used in some trials by some groups. However, that discussion is out of the scope of this thread, so if youre unhappy with how negate works in PvE, make a separate one for it :)
    Edited by RealPhoenix on April 27, 2018 2:31PM
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

P.S

Maybe enemy groups shouldnt stack so much? There's gotta be something to negate (lol) the zergs.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • RealPhoenix
    RealPhoenix
    ✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »

Maybe enemy groups shouldnt stack so much? There's gotta be something to negate (lol) the zergs.

This is also a separate issue, can we please stay on topic? :smiley:

Just to clarify: I am not trying to nerf negate in any way here, not for PvP nor PvE. I just think no-cost skills like repentance and netch should not be affected.
    It really only comes down to some situations where the repentance in the negate might save you and imo, this would be a nice way of encouraging good tactical gameplay.
    Edited by RealPhoenix on April 27, 2018 2:37PM
  • Sawzallz
    Sawzallz
    ✭✭✭
    Well repentance starts off as a spell
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    negates shouldnt negate other ground based ultimates
    PS4 NA DC
  • RealPhoenix
    RealPhoenix
    ✭✭✭
    Sawzallz wrote: »

It does :)
    But repentance itself is not a spell.
    Same goes for the warden buff, and the stam morph isnt affected.
    So there really is no consitency.
  • RealPhoenix
    RealPhoenix
    ✭✭✭
    negates shouldnt negate other ground based ultimates

I agree, but thats a battle for another day :smiley:
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too much inconsistency. Maybe it should negate everything except light/heavy attacks.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    100% agree that Negate shouldn’t negate ultimates. They don’t actually cost magicka.

Also, how does one ultimate trump another? Why should Negate cancel a Standard that has already been cast? I an understand why enemies shouldn’t be able to cast... but pre-cast effects shouldn’t be rendered negligible.

Also, there should be a stamina version that “blinds” stamina abilities so they can’t be cast. (Only fair- ya know?)
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Standardized Language Used would prevent this
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Yusuf
    Yusuf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sawzallz wrote: »

It does :)
    But repentance itself is not a spell.
    Same goes for the warden buff, and the stam morph isnt affected.
    So there really is no consitency.

Repentance looks like a spell to me my friend. It might not have any cost but it's pretty it's not something your character does by using his muscles.
  • datgladiatah
    datgladiatah
    ✭✭✭
    What's the point of a silence spell if it only silences basic abilities lmfao. I still have a hard time understanding why spell-like 'stamina' morphs wouldn't be considered spells. You can't physically make a floating sword of radiant power over a dude's head. It's a spell.

Silence everything but weapon abilities. Or just basic attacks.
  • RealPhoenix
    RealPhoenix
    ✭✭✭
    Yusuf wrote: »

Repentance looks like a spell to me my friend. It might not have any cost but it's pretty it's not something your character does by using his muscles.

As stated before, the way the ability works is not about how the abilities look, but what resource they are based off (magicka).

There are a million stamina based abilities in this game that LOOK like a spell (Dont even get me started, just look through the whole warden skill line), but this is not how the ability currently choses the skills it negates.
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What determines "priority" over Ultimates, anyway?

If someone has a Nova, Standard, Secluded Grove, or Consuming Darkness already placed down- why is it Negated? The spell has already been cast BEFORE Negate was.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • datgladiatah
    datgladiatah
    ✭✭✭
    Negate is a dispel. It works like that on vEH2 boss and is consistent with any persistent spell effects in an aoe. It negates magic. Doesn't matter if it's before or after, if it's a persistent effect it probably gets negated.