Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Know your enemy - I made a magsorc

Bam_Bam
Bam_Bam
✭✭✭✭✭
Pretty amazing - I instantly noticed my epeen was increased 100000fold and my ego was tearing my girly silk dress robe, asunder.

LOL soz, couldn't resist. In all serious though, I have actually made a mag sorc and I am absolutely rubbish. I guess it's normal to have 20k health? 36k magicka? Then I look at some build vids and I'm completely flummoxed as to where they are getting 26+k health and 40+k magicka. And what skills are they using and how the hell are they surviving? I mean on my back bar (survival bar - lol, yeah right) I have boundless thingy (a shield) the healing thingy (another shield) and empowered thingy (also a shield). By the time they are all cast I can just about fit casting that magicka steal thing into the available 0.0007 window thats available before I have to rescast the shields. What a load of donkey poo!

So - I need help, advice, steroids, taken out the back and shot dead

Dunmer

Shacklebreaker and Wizards Riposte (WR destro/resto) & 1 piece of Ilambris for some reason that I've forgotten. I can't even remember what it does.

Skills (or lack of):

front bar (Wizards Riposte Inferno staff, sharpened, flame enchant):
Elemental Drain
Crushing Shock
Flame Clench
Crystal Fragments
Structured Entropy
Eye of the Storm

back bar (Wizards Riposte Resto staff, defending, flame enchant):
Boudless Storm
Empowered Ward (because it lasts longer than 3 seconds)
Healing Ward
Endless Fury (absolutely pointless - never get a chance to use it. To busy messing about recasting shields)
Ball of Lightning (great for accidentally flying off cliffs and keep walls or into mobs of guards)
Absorption Field

Things to point out apart from my complete lack of ability at playing this daft class:

I have LOTS of sets available - Elegant, Sun, Elf Bane, Martial Knowledge, Julianos, Seducer, Kagrenacs, Lich etc etc all avaialble and legendary quality. All the gear, no idea. :p Currently wearing shacklebreaker and wizards riposte. Works Ok but disturbing lack of health.

Also - what about the skill bars? Am I doing it wrong or are they fine and I just need to practice. A lot. Like loads & loads?

All advice gratefully accepted. Quitting and playing a different class isn't option and will be ignored as a suggestion :p

Edited by Bam_Bam on April 27, 2018 11:45AM
Joined January 2014
PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
Lims Kragm'a
Bam Bam Bara
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    actually the sets you are running are pretty fine: change the the one piece ilambris to domihaus for more stamina (you wear ilambris for more magicka to increase your shieldsize and damage).
    for the skills: you first need to define, which skill you want to use as spammable. there are two possibilities: force pulse or clench. if you go for clench, you dont need force pulse anymore on your bar. also you should run a master inferno staff in that case to reinforce the damage of clench to fit as a spammable. using a master destro will be no problem, if you run wizards riposte only on your backbar.
    if you run force pulse, a perfect AS inferno staff would fit in as before the master staff (wizards only on backbar still)

for your skills i recommend using floowing skills on the frontbar:
    haunting curse
    force pulse or flame reach
    crystal fragment
    endless fury
    crit surge
    meteor

backbar:
    hardened ward
    harness magic
    healing ward
    ball of lightning
    daedric minefield
    lights champion

in the case of flame reach as spammable, this would be a good skillsetup. but if you go for force pulse, you need a stun also n your bars, which would be rune cage. for that you either sacrify daedric mine field or you go for spellpower pots and drop crit surge.
    with abovementioned setup you will reach a bit over 20k health (22-23k mostly), 17k stam (if you use tristat food) and over 40k magicka with undaunted passives on a race with additional magicka.
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually gave a Masters Inferno staff to a PUG that we did vDA with. I never ever thought I'd use/need one. >.<

Thank yo for the advice though - very very awesome info and much appreciated :)
    Edited by Bam_Bam on April 27, 2018 3:54PM
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so i dont get an awesome for it...? :P
    Edited by Checkmath on April 27, 2018 12:32PM
  • Lichbourne90
    Lichbourne90
    ✭✭✭
    Altmer would have given u a bit more Magicka. Plus in my opinion mages guild and undaunted are must haves for mag sorc. Once u get those up your stats will look alot better.
  • Lichbourne90
    Lichbourne90
    ✭✭✭
    And I prefer to back bar curse to free up a spot for mage light on the front bar since I put hardened ward on front bar as well
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bam_Bam wrote: »
    Pretty amazing - I instantly noticed my epeen was increased 100000fold and my ego was tearing my girly silk dress robe, asunder.

LOL soz, couldn't resist. In all serious though, I have actually made a mag sorc and I am absolutely rubbish. I guess it's normal to have 20k health? 36k magicka? Then I look at some build vids and I'm completely flummoxed as to where they are getting 26+k health and 40+k magicka. And what skills are they using and how the hell are they surviving? I mean on my back bar (survival bar - lol, yeah right) I have boundless thingy (a shield) the healing thingy (another shield) and empowered thingy (also a shield). By the time they are all cast I can just about fit casting that magicka steal thing into the available 0.0007 window thats available before I have to rescast the shields. What a load of donkey poo!

Dunmer

Shacklebreaker and Wizards Riposte (WR destro/resto) & 1 piece of Ilambris for some reason that I've forgotten. I can't even remember what it does.

Skills (or lack of):

Elemental Drain
    Crushing Shock
    Flame Clench
    Crystal Fragments
    Structured Entropy
    Eye of the Storm

Boudless Storm
    Healing Ward
    Endless Fury (absolutely pointless - never get a chance to use it. To busy messing about recasting shields)
    Ball of Lightning (great for accidentally flying off cliffs and keep walls or into mobs of guards)
    Absorption Field

Things to point out apart from my complete lack of ability at playing this daft class:

I have LOTS of sets available - Elegant, Sun, Elf Bane, Martial Knowledge, Julianos, Seducer, Kagrenacs, Lich etc etc all avaialble and legendary quality. All the gear, no idea. :p Currently wearing shacklebreaker and wizards riposte. Works Ok but disturbing lack of health.

Also - what about the skill bars? Am I doing it wrong or are they fine and I just need to practice. A lot. Like loads & loads?

All advice gratefully accepted. Quitting and playing a different class isn't option and will be ignored as a suggestion :p

If you want to kite zergs for days a good setup is seducer, lich and engine guardian 5 light/1 heavy/1 medium. Destro/restro.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For no-CP Battlegrounds I sorta like Shacklebreaker, Spinner's, and 1 Domihaus. I run all spell damage enchants on jewelry, with Atronach Mundus and Witchmother's Potent Brew.

Flame Staff: Crystal Fragments, Crushing Shock, Rune Cage, Hardened Ward, Endless Fury, with Meteor for Ultimate.
    Resto Staff: Dark Conversion, Streak, Haunting Curse, Healing Ward, Power Surge, with Light's Champion for Ultimate.

In-combat sustain isn't very good if you're not landing killing blows, but most of the time it's not too much of an issue. Remember that you can't be interrupted if you have CC-immunity, so it's possible to Dark Conversion right in people's faces sometimes.

Pairing Meteor with Rune Cage is great for landing kills, and I think it's generally much better to use than Destro Ult (especially since you gain +2% Max Magicka and Magicka Regen from passives). The timing on Rune Cage can be a little finicky, and doesn't always seem consistent, but it's a very strong combo with Curse and a C-Frag. It's also worth noting that a Nightblade's Cloak won't cause an on-the-way Rune Cage to miss, so if you can anticipate the ever common dodge roll into a cloak, you can break them out (and follow up with a curse if you can't finish them off during the break free).
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »
    so i dont get an awesome for it...? :P

My bad. Sorry mate, I was getting picked up my GF and forgot my manners! Awesomed - and twice :)
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer would have given u a bit more Magicka. Plus in my opinion mages guild and undaunted are must haves for mag sorc. Once u get those up your stats will look alot better.

Yeah - mages guild is still at 8. As for Altmer, I wanted to try and make a proper Fire Mage - i have lots of great sets that are gathering dust that I think could really be exploited by the Dunmer passives - Sun, Elf Bane and (IIRC) Elegant and Desert Rose. But at the moment, I thinlkI'm better just trying to stay alive and figuring out skills and class passives etc :)
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmguy1234 wrote: »

Dunmer

Skills (or lack of):

Elemental Drain
    Crushing Shock
    Flame Clench
    Crystal Fragments
    Structured Entropy
    Eye of the Storm

Boudless Storm
    Healing Ward
    Absorption Field

If you want to kite zergs for days a good setup is seducer, lich and engine guardian 5 light/1 heavy/1 medium. Destro/restro.

Absolutely love Seducer set - easily one of my all-time favourite magicka sets -sooo versatile. I hope we'll be able to craft Seducer jewellery with the next update - that would be amazing :).
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG_TUtXRVDs

Two choices.
    • Not be intellectually lazy and spend 50 minutes learning from one of the best in the game what magicka sorcerer is all about
    • Instead be lazy and spend a lot more time trying and dying while figuring it out yourself.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always ran a shield on each bar.

Maybe 2 on the backbar

Burst is too high to sit on a bar with no shield up.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to add one bit of advice. Don't be afraid to take off Meteor and slot Dawnbreaker of Smiting. Meteor, it does hit pretty hard with the right set ups, but if you keep running into situations where you can't seem to get the damage to count, I would advise running DBoS.

MagSorc has a design flaw with how the class fights. There is a 'blind spot' directly in front of your toon, the blind spot exists due to how all of the MagSorcs tools function-- in that, there is no way to score a knock down point blank. Flame Reach, yes it is there for KB purposes, but up close or right next to a StamNB or any other Stamina class or the MagMelee classes like MagDK or MagTemplar, there is more counter play for that ability up close versus far. Far away, Reach is a problem for a Stamina toon as they spend resources dealing with it. Up close, you'll be obliterated due to the other classes having better close range combat tools. The primary point of putting on DBoS, is a "GET OFF ME NOW" move while remaining stationary and putting the momentum of the fight back into the MagSorcs court. Using Streak/BoL isn't necessarily a button you want to press when you want to stay close(it also will give them CC immunity when they break it too). DBoS gives you an up close and personal response and tells melee attackers, 'Hey if you get too close, I can animation cancel DBoS, Fury, proc Frags kill you in under a few seconds'. Those ticks, still hurt a lot. Will also hurt more if the target is a WW or Vamp.
    Edited by Takes-No-Prisoner on April 27, 2018 5:14PM
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dunmer

Skills (or lack of):

Elemental Drain
    Crushing Shock
    Flame Clench
    Crystal Fragments
    Structured Entropy
    Eye of the Storm

Boudless Storm
    Healing Ward
    Absorption Field

Absolutely love Seducer set - easily one of my all-time favourite magicka sets -sooo versatile. I hope we'll be able to craft Seducer jewellery with the next update - that would be amazing :).

Amen and double amen.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This set up also works really well. MagSorc is one of those classes, that really does well with EG. Even if the zerglings you're kiting are messing with the Dwarven sphere, the distraction gives more chances to get the Frag proc.
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG_TUtXRVDs

Two choices.
    • Not be intellectually lazy and spend 50 minutes learning from one of the best in the game what magicka sorcerer is all about
    • Instead be lazy and spend a lot more time trying and dying while figuring it out yourself.

Haha - no way. I actually talk to Malcolm in game. The last time, I was on one of my stamblades and I thought, "I'll gank this lone sorc who must be stupid to be so blatently alone and obvious and......" ...and I never finished thinking because he had melted me. So I mesaaged him (it was't the first time he's battered me haha) and said "If I' had known it was you I'd have staying inside Chalman" haha. He's a really good guy - got a lot of time for him.
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why undaunted? Dont you need an undaunted skill on a bar in order to get the benefit of the passives?
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why undaunted? Dont you need an undaunted skill on a bar in order to get the benefit of the passives?

No
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Lichbourne90
    Lichbourne90
    ✭✭✭

Negative. No requirement for the passives to activate other than unlocking them. And trust me it's worth it.
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This set up also works really well. MagSorc is one of those classes, that really does well with EG. Even if the zerglings you're kiting are messing with the Dwarven sphere, the distraction gives more chances to get the Frag proc.

Definitely works better than the potato pets that the sorc has in its tool-kit. Like you said, you can almost line of sight behind the sphere.
    Edited by usmguy1234 on April 28, 2018 11:26AM
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk

• Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to add one bit of advice. Don't be afraid to take off Meteor and slot Dawnbreaker of Smiting. Meteor, it does hit pretty hard with the right set ups, but if you keep running into situations where you can't seem to get the damage to count, I would advise running DBoS.

MagSorc has a design flaw with how the class fights. There is a 'blind spot' directly in front of your toon, the blind spot exists due to how all of the MagSorcs tools function-- in that, there is no way to score a knock down point blank. Flame Reach, yes it is there for KB purposes, but up close or right next to a StamNB or any other Stamina class or the MagMelee classes like MagDK or MagTemplar, there is more counter play for that ability up close versus far. Far away, Reach is a problem for a Stamina toon as they spend resources dealing with it. Up close, you'll be obliterated due to the other classes having better close range combat tools. The primary point of putting on DBoS, is a "GET OFF ME NOW" move while remaining stationary and putting the momentum of the fight back into the MagSorcs court. Using Streak/BoL isn't necessarily a button you want to press when you want to stay close(it also will give them CC immunity when they break it too). DBoS gives you an up close and personal response and tells melee attackers, 'Hey if you get too close, I can animation cancel DBoS, Fury, proc Frags kill you in under a few seconds'. Those ticks, still hurt a lot. Will also hurt more if the target is a WW or Vamp.

Wanted to add something else,

I ran with a guy who mained MagSorc for awhile, and he told me he prefers Meteor in group play. I have seen his meteors melt players into dust, sometimes he's gotten double kills on one meteor. Now, my original quote was more so along the lines of solo play, however running DBoS in small group play or Meteor works really well for MagSorc. Ult Selection, honestly boils down to group play and how/what your group has available for you. He felt comfortable running Meteor with a 6 man group. Cause we had heals and a off Tank/DPS.
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sets are good. Same as me but with 1 piece domi for stam/mag.

Fb: frags, reach, curse, wrath, inner light, dawnbreaker of smiting

Bb: surge, boundless, streak, healing ward, hardened ward, lights champion.

Basically keep surge and boundless up. Shield when u can. Hit curse, wrath, reach and frags.
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spoke to Malcolm about wanting to make a "Fire mage" - a Dunmer infrnoe staff-using mag sorc. He very kindly got back in touch and made some great suggestions especially regarding gear. The build itself is based on the one that was posted above. Sooooo much more fun and the survivability/damage is amazing. Nerf sorcs! Just kidding - don't do that. But stop calling for 'nerf NBs too because magsorc melts them :p
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also - question for any magsorcs who use runecage - do you find that it is bugged? Sometimes I find it is unusable. And thats with full mag. Other times it works perfect with minimal mag. Very odd
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't use it on cc immune targets.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also - question for any magsorcs who use runecage - do you find that it is bugged? Sometimes I find it is unusable. And thats with full mag. Other times it works perfect with minimal mag. Very odd

It ties in with cc-immunity. If your target has immunity, it will not let you cast it.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I spoke to Malcolm about wanting to make a "Fire mage" - a Dunmer infrnoe staff-using mag sorc. He very kindly got back in touch and made some great suggestions especially regarding gear. The build itself is based on the one that was posted above. Sooooo much more fun and the survivability/damage is amazing. Nerf sorcs! Just kidding - don't do that. But stop calling for 'nerf NBs too because magsorc melts them :p

Honestly - I find Magsorcs are strongest vs Stamblades in open world.

Which is why all the nerf-sorc posts come from disgruntled stamblades who seem to think that just because they struggle most vs magsorcs, they don't seem to consider the fact that sorcs struggle vs other classes...

They only see part of the picture - hence 'Nerf Sorc'!
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »

Which is why all the nerf-sorc posts come from disgruntled stamblades who seem to think that just because they struggle most vs magsorcs, they don't seem to consider the fact that sorcs struggle vs other classes...

I wasn't actually being serious. :) I don't want any classes to be nerfed - I'd rather underperforming classes be buffed. Stamblade and Magsorc both feel very strong to play and it also feels like there are many many builds available for both.
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »

I wasn't actually being serious. :) I don't want any classes to be nerfed - I'd rather underperforming classes be buffed. Stamblade and Magsorc both feel very strong to play and it also feels like there are many many builds available for both.

No, I know you weren't - just commenting on this general war of words between them
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found really good success with the following set up:

5 Alteration Mastery, 5 Shacklebreaker, 1 Domihaus.

Alteration Mastery works better than Seducer because it effects all abilities, including dodge roll blocking, and ultimates. I also use tristat food with this, giving me a stamina pool around 17K.

Front bar:
    Haunting Curse
    Force Pulse/Crushing Shock
    Mages Wrath
    Crystal Frags
    Hardened Ward
    Meteor

Back Bar
    Healing Ward
    Harness Magicka
    Streak
    Defensive Rune
    Power Surge
    Reviving Barrier

The trick is to not actually shield stack actively. I use a shield on each bar to always have one available. And healing ward is there for a very unreliable heal. In the Summerset patch, I will be adding a two piece monster set (probably something defensive or purely stat based) since I can have my Shacklebreaker staffs count for two pieces.
    Edited by jaws343 on April 30, 2018 2:51PM