Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

New to the forum and some questions

Avoranti
Avoranti
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello all. I am new to this forum. I have been playing ESO Solo on PS4 for a few weeks now even though I purchased the game over 1 year ago. Just never played before. I like the game. I have seen some things that I have questions about though.
First, is it common for enemies to walk through walls during a fight and does their staff attacks supposed to go through walls? This has happened a few times.
What’s with players running on top of their mounts?
Came across two groups of toons bundled together and they all moved at the same time. Even caught one of the groups on livestream. After researching I’ve concluded these are bots. I thought this was only something that happened on PC? Should I ignore the players using this system or should I report?
Lastly, when I created my toon I chose Dragonknight. After playing through ebenheart pact and Daggerfall Cov. I’ve decided this was a bad choice. I read the only way to change class is to just create another toon and start over. That’s a lot of game time.. so, should I just play through till the end and deal with it or create a different toon and class?
Thanks everyone. Overall, I really enjoy the game and look forward to the next chapter. Already pre-ordered!
Edited by Avoranti on April 19, 2018 10:46PM
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes attacks go through walls.
    Running on mount is visual bug.
    toons bundled together doing stuff are bots.
    Play what you find to be fun is my advice.

Welcome
    Edited by Yakidafi on April 19, 2018 10:56PM
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • dannymcgr81b14_ESO
    dannymcgr81b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can make several characters. Just put your current character aside and try a new one. The point of a game is to enjoy yourself not to force yourself to play a character you don't like.
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would start over. But do not delete your DK. Trust me. I kept forgetting how much I loathed nightblades because I kept deleting them. Then I would remake them and start over having forgotten how much I do not enjoy playing them. The starting over is the worst. So I now have one of everything and a baby tank and a baby healer, in case I ever have time to focus on either of those roles. And if I ever get bored with my DK's and want to work on something else for a while, I have a magic and stam version of everything. Lots of choices.
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • Hoolielulu
    Hoolielulu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Helllooooooo!

Enemies can and will walk, shoot, jump, teleport through walls. They'll even shoot you through walls as you're running away. Of course they shouldn't be able to do any of this, but they do so play with the expectation and it will always happen.

When there's a bit of lag I don't wait for my horse to completely appear before I start moving it appears that I'm running on top of my horse. If I stop for a second then my butt gets back on the saddle.

Ah, bots. I've reported them but would go back a couple of days later and they'd still be there so I'm not sure what to tell you here. Other people may have had different results.

My first character was a StamDK and I hated her. I deleted her thinking, "It was only three weeks and I learned a lot about the game. Restarting is no big deal." And it wasn't. It FELT like it was. I went with a Stamplar who who became a Magplar and is now back at to being a Stamplar. Then I started a Magblade. Three days ago I started a MagDK. You could always keep your DK and go back to it later and start a new one. Don't be discouraged. People start anew all the time.
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For 1. (enemies walking through walls) it depends on the area, there are some areas that for some reason it seems mobs can ignore walls and other blockage, but it isn't always like that, sometimes you can rely on walls or other to protect you and wait for them to come to you.

But, yes, once they're engaged with you, their ranged attacks have perfect tracking and aren't blocked by anything. Only thing that stops them, is getting outside of their aggro range so they'll reset or kill them.

For 2. (players running on mounts) It's an animation glitch that seems to be sometimes triggered when you quickly mount and start sprinting very quick afterwards (I think...) I triggered it once or twice myself without trying, but there seem to be a way to trigger it at will, and some people like it, it seems :lol:

For 3. (bots) it'd be better to report them, not that it'd make any difference in the short term, but if enough people report them at least we're letting ZOS know that we want them gone from the game. If we do nothing, nothing will change.

For 4. There are (generally) more than one way to play a class... if you don't like your DK (for some reason you didn't specified) maybe you can spice it up by changing abilities and/or the build you're using? You can try to go to the opposite spec, for example (if you're magicka, try a stamina build, or viceversa) and see if that's more to your liking? Also, you can try changing abilities and see if there's other bar combinations that makes up for what you feel are the classes' shortcomings?

Other than that, yes, the only way is to level another character... but, you'd only have to reach level 50 with it, once you're there, you'll inherit the champion level of your main and he'll be able to wear any max level gear you want to give him.

EDIT2: And also, Welcome! :)

EDIT: few minor typos (can't blame autocorrect, sadly :s )
    Edited by leeux on April 19, 2018 11:24PM
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • Avoranti
    Avoranti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started a Nightblade to see the difference and I also started a Sorceror. My Dragonknight is lvl 50 CP 214 and I’ve played through all of Ebonheart and I’m about to finish the Bangkorai zone for the Daggerfall. I just learned that each race has different traits that could become useful for specific classes/weapon skills. I won’t toss my Dragonknight out since I put so much time (12+hrs a day for at least 3 weeks). I suppose I’ll finish the playthrough on this toon then choose a different one.
    As for the bots, I suppose I could report them. That kind of stuff I’m sure is against the rules of the game and probably breaks something in some way. Not to mention against Sony’s rules since they are using 3rd party software. I just didn’t expect to see those kind of exploits used in ESO on console. I did research it and read that a while ago the game devs did a massive cleanse of bots on pc. I wonder if they know bots are being used on console too?
    Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to the new content soon.
    Edited by Avoranti on April 20, 2018 2:45AM
  • Avoranti
    Avoranti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, I just logged in and my toon stuck halfway in the ground and moves like it’s on the mount but in the ground? Haha what madness is this?
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These guys write nonsense!

Running on top of your mount while the mount is running at full speed is simply an awesome display of insane riding skill - this skill level isn't reached before cp 160 when you unlock all mount upgrades including a secret circus-artist skill line!

It is the best way to identify the truly skilled players - so just watch them in awe and hope to achieve the same skill level some time in your ESO live!

WmpVR80.jpg
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a super fun stamina DK build for you, that also happens to hit like a truck. Most of the gear is easy to farm too...or if you have gold to spend, can be bought from Guild traders. (If you don't have eso+ or Clockwork City, traders is the only way you can get the Unfathomable Darkness set anyway.)
    One of the dev's mains this build, that's how good and fun it is.
    Hope this helps you enjoy your DK more, if starting over doesn't appeal.

https://youtu.be/hm6ATh3fhhE

Welcome to Tamriel!!!
    Edited by Kel on April 20, 2018 3:47AM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avoranti wrote: »
    Lol, I just logged in and my toon stuck halfway in the ground and moves like it’s on the mount but in the ground? Haha what madness is this?

Cells sometimes render weird.

Anyway, MMO's are for the long run. Of course you can play this game for the short term and have some fun at it. But the most fun you will have comes from time you invest in your characters. There are many ways to play, and outside of competitive trials and some PvP, what ever makes sense to you, you have fun with, and kills the mobs before you die is what will work for you.

You have 8 slots, use them. Or use most of them. Roll one character for each class, maybe more than one. As things change in the game, and they always do, you might park one class and play another. Also, while the future direction of the game is all classes can do all roles, currently it breaks down like this:

Dragon Knight Tank or DPS (but they make an excellent tank)
    Sorcerer or Night Blade DPS or Healer
    Templar Healer or DPS or Tank
    Warden Healer or DPS or Tank

Now, this is a general sorting, you can really do anything with any Class, I am just pointing out current strengths in order of effectiveness. This is due to change in the future. And you can change everything about your character other than the Class. But you can play your class a myriad of ways.

There are two ways to go in the game generally speaking, Stamina and Magic. Certain races are better at one or the other, Imperial can do both decently. Once you decide a direction, then pick either Stamina or Magic sets and put most or all your attributes into the one of choice.

Don't think you have to follow the Meta or what some people consider the optimal build. But do get ideas and insights from those builds and incorporate them into how you play.

Edited by Nestor on April 20, 2018 4:06AM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Sting864
    Sting864
    ✭✭✭✭
    I kept forgetting how much I loathed nightblades

AD Bosmer stamblade FTW....
    Elden Root Senior High School Football RULEZ!!
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: starting over.

Don’t delete the character. Just start and play others.

I think you were mostly referencing the quest lines when you say you played EP and DC and wonder about starting over. Most of us vets do NOT play the faction quest lines on every character. You can, for sure, but there are so many skill points in the game that we get them from shards and other sources.

If you want achievements and to clear the whole map, experiment and find the class you like the most, then designate that character your “main.” Then play whatever you like on the others and just pick up skill points when and where you need them.
  • Avoranti
    Avoranti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, I joined in to PvP to try and earn the assault skill line. First time in pvp on ESO. Dying isn’t a problem. Being 1 shot with an arrow or having 5-6 players gang up on me is. I’m in the Ebonheart Alliance and seems like not too many players play that alliance since I’ve only seen 1 other player the entire time and I’ve been on for hours just in pvp. I’m almost rank 4 for the assault skill line. Looks like for Vigor and Caltrops I need to be at least rank 6. It’s taking forever to level up. Some of the repeatables don’t give a whole lot AP. Traveling is a pain even with Rapid and it’s really disheartening to get to the location for let’s say “scout” just to have some player kill you in one a hit and you have to start your travel completely over. Overall the mechanics behind pvp are cool but seems like there are some major balance issues. Needless to say, once I’ve unlocked the two skills I’ll never EVER return to pvp again.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avoranti wrote: »
    So, I joined in to PvP to try and earn the assault skill line. First time in pvp on ESO. Dying isn’t a problem. Being 1 shot with an arrow or having 5-6 players gang up on me is. I’m in the Ebonheart Alliance and seems like not too many players play that alliance since I’ve only seen 1 other player the entire time and I’ve been on for hours just in pvp. I’m almost rank 4 for the assault skill line. Looks like for Vigor and Caltrops I need to be at least rank 6. It’s taking forever to level up. Some of the repeatables don’t give a whole lot AP. Traveling is a pain even with Rapid and it’s really disheartening to get to the location for let’s say “scout” just to have some player kill you in one a hit and you have to start your travel completely over. Overall the mechanics behind pvp are cool but seems like there are some major balance issues. Needless to say, once I’ve unlocked the two skills I’ll never EVER return to pvp again.

PvP as a solo endevour is just not fun. And it's kind of dangerous too. Once your in your campaign, do an "LFG will stay with Crown" in Chat. You will have a better time. Also, joining a PvP focused guild can help. However, until you know what your doing over there, don't PvP as a solo. And you really want to reach Rank 6 or 7 of the Assault skill line to unlock two of the most helpful skills for a stamina character (Vigor and Caltrops), and 5 or 6 in the Support Line too. Even if your not doing Stamina now, these skills are helpful. And, Purge from the Support line is helpful in group dungeons.

So, sometime go back there and get with a group, you will find it to be a lot more fun.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Sekero
    Sekero
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of ESO. May you spend many happy hours here.

Your questions have been answered in previous posts, so the only thing I'd add is don't delete a character unless you absolutely need that slot. DK is not a bad class to play, whether stam or mag and one day you might want to revisit it, so it would be better if it was still there. The most important thing, however, is to have fun.
    Edited by Sekero on April 26, 2018 11:49PM
  • Avoranti
    Avoranti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Playing DK stamina. However I see in pvp the meta seems to be Nightblade Bow/TwoHanded. Almost every player I’ve encountered is Nightblade. I’m only in pvp for Vigor and Caltrops. Once they are unlocked I’m out. After playing on Sorceror and on Nightblade I see why so many choose them over the DK. Now to just find a quick way to unlock level 6. I’m at lvl 4 now.