Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Outfit Station - Material Ranks 1 - 10

FixedBlade123
FixedBlade123
✭✭✭
I have a question about "Material Ranks."

I'm at an Outfit Station. I'm looking at the Dyes. At the top are the Common Dyes. Next are the Uncommon Dyes. Next are the Rare Dyes. At the Bottom are the Material Dyes that are ranked 1 - 10. I have Rank 10 unlocked but all the lower ranks are locked. If I've achieved Rank 10 (as a result of deconstructing of weapons and armor) then why aren't the lower ranks unlocked?
  • M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to decon something made from each material to unlock them.
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • FixedBlade123
    FixedBlade123
    ✭✭✭
    M_Volsung wrote: »

That's odd. I deconstruct stuff every day. Odd that everything I've deconstructed since this new add-on has been included in the game is the exact same material.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That's odd. I deconstruct stuff every day. Odd that everything I've deconstructed since this new add-on has been included in the game is the exact same material.

Not strange. You loot stuff according to your level, always. Remember scaling. On a fully levelled account (i.e. CP160), you can get 1 to 5 by levelling a new char. 6 to 9 you can only get by constructing and then deconstructing one piece of kit (which profession doesn't matter) for each material.
  • FixedBlade123
    FixedBlade123
    ✭✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »

Not strange. You loot stuff according to your level, always. Remember scaling. On a fully levelled account (i.e. CP160), you can get 1 to 5 by levelling a new char. 6 to 9 you can only get by constructing and then deconstructing one piece of kit (which profession doesn't matter) for each material.

I guess I'm missing something. I'm Champ level 794 (as of this moment). I just don't understand how I was able to open Rank 10 but not ranks 1-9. Is there a link to a full explanation as to how I open the other 9 ranks? I can't go back in time and be a lower rank than I already am. Unless you're saying that I must create new characters and start from the beginning.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to decon one thing made of rank 1 mats (iron, jute or maple), rank 2 mats (steel, flax, oak), etc in order to unlock the dye.
  • FixedBlade123
    FixedBlade123
    ✭✭✭
    You have to decon one thing made of rank 1 mats (iron, jute or maple), rank 2 mats (steel, flax, oak), etc in order to unlock the dye.

Okay ... now I see what you all mean. Thanks.
  • FixedBlade123
    FixedBlade123
    ✭✭✭

So can I just make something out of each material then decon it and get the rank?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So can I just make something out of each material then decon it and get the rank?

Yes, thats exactly what I did. You only need one item, so iron or jute or maple will work, you don't need all three for the dye.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »

I guess I'm missing something. I'm Champ level 794 (as of this moment). I just don't understand how I was able to open Rank 10 but not ranks 1-9. Is there a link to a full explanation as to how I open the other 9 ranks? I can't go back in time and be a lower rank than I already am. Unless you're saying that I must create new characters and start from the beginning.

It's a little bit confusing. You need (on any character in the account) to break down at least one item (in any of the three hard craft) for that tier. Possible ways to get the item to break down include:
    • Looting it. What you loot depends on character level.
    • Making it. What you can make depends on crafting level.
    • Getting it from another player, whether through a guild trader or otherwise.

I presume that yet another option is to outright buy the item from a leatherworker or whatever. But it's hard to be sure, because we've been playing the game for years without ever caring what those vendors sell. :)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranks are like this:

Rank 1 L to L14
    Rank 2 L16 to L24
    Rank 3 etc

Ranks are even, as that is all you can craft.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Clothing

Anyway, just make something from each of the materials and then turn around and decon it. You only need one weight, so deconning Cotton gives you Leather and Orichalcum in the Outfit System. Pick the material you have the most of at each level. Make gloves and daggers, no need to use more mats.

The original Leveling Ranks and Vet Ranks can have some big differences in the appearance of the armor. Well worth being able to use different materials.

Of course you need the skill points in the material passive to make each level. But, your crafter can make a piece in each level if they can make CP160 gear. An alt can decon it so you don't have to invest points on your alts to learn the rank. It matters not the source of the item, just that you decon something. Note, I did not try a stolen item, so that remains to be tested to see if works too. Probably does.

Edited by Nestor on April 24, 2018 12:34AM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• FixedBlade123
    FixedBlade123
    ✭✭✭
    Cool beans. Thanks for the good responses one and all. I currently just sign on each day to stay oiled. I don't play as hard and as often as I used to. 3 years of the same game gets a bit mundane so I don't really keep up with the current trends that much and haven't worn headphones/mic in many months. When the recent change to the game took place I didn't really pay much attention to it.

Anyway ... time to do some crafting. I'm currently champ 794 and pretty maxed out in crafting (100% Nirnhoned and know most, but not all, Motifs). Time to gets me some dyes.
  • FixedBlade123
    FixedBlade123
    ✭✭✭
    Cool beans. Thanks for the good responses one and all. I currently just sign on each day to stay oiled. I don't play as hard and as often as I used to. 3 years of the same game gets a bit mundane so I don't really keep up with the current trends that much and haven't worn headphones/mic in many months. When the recent change to the game took place I didn't really pay much attention to it.

Anyway ... time to do some crafting. I'm currently champ 794 and pretty maxed out in crafting (100% Nirnhoned and know most, but not all, Motifs). Time to gets me some dyes.

Dang! It took less that 5 minutes to unlock each of the remaining 9 ranks. I was expecting some sort of a challenge. Hahaha Thanks again.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang! It took less that 5 minutes to unlock each of the remaining 9 ranks. I was expecting some sort of a challenge. Hahaha Thanks again.

Now you can use the dyes on gear and weapons ... which some admittedly look quite nice.

- This is a Yew Order of the Hour Bow (Materials Rank 5) with the dark "Coldharbour" look.

08Rf8eD.png

- An Ebonshadow Greatsword in Dwarven (Materials Rank 4).

Hc2tVYe.png
  • FixedBlade123
    FixedBlade123
    ✭✭✭

Now you can use the dyes on gear and weapons ... which some admittedly look quite nice.

- This is a Yew Order of the Hour Bow (Materials Rank 5) with the dark "Coldharbour" look.

08Rf8eD.png

- An Ebonshadow Greatsword in Dwarven (Materials Rank 4).

Hc2tVYe.png

They do look pretty cool. I finally got my Dro M'Athra armor (complete set plus duel daggers and a bow). I colored them with a rare pitch black (can't remember the name of the color), turquoise, and a bright magenta. It looks awesome together. It's a good color match for my Night Frost Atronach Steed. :)