Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Tanking

Tukolp
Tukolp
Hello guys planing to make a tank in this game played wow since BC so thought i have some experience in tanking, so made a dragonknight and a templar, wanted to test them as tanks, but only found one spell for taunt (puncture on one hand and shield ), my question is that is there any aoe taunt ability with i can keep aggro up, or taunt masses of enemies ?
Because puling a group of mobs to attack me its just painful, I have to press puncture on all minions one by one, not when i finish puncturing all like 15 minions the half of them is already dead (lol)
so any information would be nice about this.

For second, I made high elf for templar tanking, is it good for magicka tanking ? i mean I would use spells and one hand and shield with points dumped into magicka. So I would be like a paladin in wow.
Also if i change my mind, can I be a 2hander mag templar with this high elf ? I just need some magicka regen from somewhere.
Any help is welcome,
Thank you,
  • PerArdua
    PerArdua
    ✭✭✭
    No aoe taunt . There is a ranged taunt in the undaunted skill line . Argonian is considered the best race for tanking due to potion race passive and dk best class due to cc , chains and resource management passives . Other classes are viable in dungeons but will struggle in top end content . Warden tanks are a notable exception and are imo good tanks Most tanks s n b both bars or s n b and destro . All of this may change slightly with Summerset patch in June .
    Edited by PerArdua on April 18, 2018 1:12PM
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 4 taunts in the game. Puncture (and it's morphs), Inner Fire (and morphs), ice staff heavy attack with tri-focus passive and this one set that makes you charge attacks taunt enemies. There is no AoE taunt at all. The best trick to pull a group of mobs is to be the first one to hit them. So consider dropping some kind of AoE or just a Mystic orb in the group if you need it.

Ideally you are not supposed to tank every single add though. Just taunt the big hitters (normally guys with two handers) and chain in (group up if you are not DK master tank) everything else.
  • PerArdua
    PerArdua
    ✭✭✭
    You can soft taunt with aoe effects at start of the battle but only works if dd do not attack 1st . As for mag tanking I ve not tried it but unless you block using a ice staff blocking costs stam . I would suggest health stacking and making sure your stam is slightly higher than mag due to certain synergies restorating the higher of the 2 .
    Check this guy out for tanking in detail
    https://woeler.eu
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tukolp wrote: »
    Hello guys planing to make a tank in this game played wow since BC so thought i have some experience in tanking, so made a dragonknight and a templar, wanted to test them as tanks, but only found one spell for taunt (puncture on one hand and shield ), my question is that is there any aoe taunt ability with i can keep aggro up, or taunt masses of enemies ?
    Because puling a group of mobs to attack me its just painful, I have to press puncture on all minions one by one, not when i finish puncturing all like 15 minions the half of them is already dead (lol)
    so any information would be nice about this.

For second, I made high elf for templar tanking, is it good for magicka tanking ? i mean I would use spells and one hand and shield with points dumped into magicka. So I would be like a paladin in wow.
    Also if i change my mind, can I be a 2hander mag templar with this high elf ? I just need some magicka regen from somewhere.
    Any help is welcome,
    Thank you,

Tank options really boil down to dk and stamwarden. Most go for being a marshmallow (high health) or ultimate regen or a mixture of the two. A really good setup is dragonguard on the body paired with werewolfhide jewellery and sword n board. Bloodspawn is the preferred undaunted set but you can utilize others such as troll king/chudan, etc. The best test for me is to go to a vet dungeon and pull two groups of trash adds and tank them. If you die then you need to rework your build. You should be able to sustain the damage indefinitely. For the naysayers...I can do that on my sorc tank all day long so a dk or warden should have no trouble with that.
    Edited by usmguy1234 on April 18, 2018 1:14PM
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• Tukolp
    Tukolp
    I'm lvl 25 with the templar and 30 with the dk :D
    Not touched high lvl content yet :D, just would like to have some ideas to working for.
    My first idea was to get magicka dumped up to high, and get a shield and sword, so i have a high damage from mag, and can survive with shield, and use abilities from mag, and I would not die cause of high shield and heals from magicka spells, but maybe I'm wrong.
    I'm just a starter, playing like since a week.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For mobs, try to crowd control as much as possible and only taunt heavy hitting adds like two-handers or minibosses.

On my DK, I usually use chains on ranged adds and inner fire to taunt minibosses until I can puncture them, but CCing the mobs makes it easier for DDs to burn them down before they're a problem.
  • PerArdua
    PerArdua
    ✭✭✭
    If you are levelling your 1st character I suggest that you lvl as a dd then respec to tank when you get to cp 160 . Lvling as a tank is sloooooow . You get a free respec scroll from lvl rewards and when Summerset drops respecs will only cost 1g for a short while . I suggest you put dd skills on 1 bar and tank skill on the other . Swap to the tank bar when you hand in quests as you only level skills on your active bar . Also try and wear at least 1 piece of armour weight while levelling so to lvl them all
    Edited by PerArdua on April 18, 2018 2:44PM