Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Just starting with a Stamina based NB

Baybaeckz
Baybaeckz
✭✭✭
If I was to use Night Mothers Gaze, which traits would I be looking at? I looking at a five piece set, so other questions based on 5-1-1 which heavy which medium which light, and possible monster sets?

Best Answers

• Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    heyhey mate
    i just assume you want to play this character in PvE, right?
    nightmothers gaze is atm a very good set, but will be useless in a month, when summerset comes life. atm the set provides some penetration, when you crit, but the devs want to change it to apply major fracture instead of that value. major fracture already is in the stamina nbs toolkit after using concealed weapon/surprise attack (whatever the stamina morph is called...).
    so maybe you should reconsider and just craft hundings rage, which is better in solo and small group content anyway and will be better in every aspect with summerset.
    for PvE the trait "divine" is the best, because it reinforces your mundusstone.
    about which body part should be heavy or light. resistance wise you want your cuirass to be heavy and the belt light if this is possible. but the differences are very small here.
    Answer ✓
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was to use Night Mothers Gaze, which traits would I be looking at? I looking at a five piece set, so other questions based on 5-1-1 which heavy which medium which light, and possible monster sets?

I put NMG on my heavy belt, light arms, daggers, and bow. I use Hundig's Rage for my 5 piece medium.

Traits on each piece: Divines. Currently using Tower, but will eventually change to Warrior.

Nothing special with Jewelry, just 3x Reduce Stamina cost with max stam at 840 each.

Currently walking with 41.2k stamina, crit for 22k+.

Definitely can hold my own in PvE (love soloing public dungeons).

Haven't done group yet.

I can do better, but for now, I'm quite content.

Answer ✓
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to nightblading. Have a severed DK finger...they make excellent door stops. Lol.

As a stamblade, you will be optimal in a 5/5/2 setup, using two complete five piece sets and a full monster set. As you are just starting out, you don’t have to go farm a second set if you don’t want to. It’s helpful, but it means farming jewelry and that can be a pain. However, if you ever reach a point where your character seems weak or squishy, you might round them out with a decent stam set.

I’ll go over a few of the basic best stam sets. I’ll skip the ones that are tough to farm...the trial sets and similar.

Base (craft) sets

Hundings Rage: this outperforms night mother’s, but is quite similar. Why? NMs reduces enemy resistance to everyone, not just you. As such, it’s benefit is a little lower than Hundings for solo and small groups. For NM to outperform Hundings, you usually need more than four players attacking. Then the increased dps ofmthe four players will add up to more than your solo buff from Hundings

Night mother: like I said, it still works. It’s just that Hundings is more versatile and will benefit you in more scenarios.

Mechanical Acuity: this is a decent set. I’d lean the previous two for a beginner, but I’m seeing this set pop up more because a 1/3 up time with 100% crit is INSANE.

Tips on base sets: on my characters (once vet) I almost always choose a base set then make all pieces in it. Then I can mix and match for other setups...I don’t have to farm specific pieces. I like to make my weapons from my base set, then if I want a piece of heavy I do a heavy chest in my base set. If the character is going to PvE and PvP, you might make a few pieces in impen to tank up for PvP. I like to wear four impen in PvP right now.

Secondary (drop) sets

Tips: you’re looking for good sets, but ones that you can obtain jewelry on without spending a fortune. REMEMBER: jewelry crafting is coming in Summerset. If you plant to buy that, maybe save some $ and invest in cheap green/blue jewelry now. Then if you like the set, upgrade when you can after the expansion.

Briarhearts: I’m a big fan. On my stamblade it’s up at almost full optimization. The dps is close to the buff from Hundings, and the heals are pretty helpful.

Morag Tong: cheap, powerful, effective. Just make sure to lean toward a poison build to get the most.

Automaton: this rivals Hundings for dps. Again, check your morphs to lean physical damage over poison or disease.

Spriggans: pure power that works. The purple jewelry is a PAIN to get. But again, go for some green rings at dolmens then upgrade later.

Monster

Tips: once you’re a cp160 vet, you can farm sets. I personally buy most of mine from the Golden on weekends. But I got mine a while ago...now with transmute farming is easier. These perform best for me on my stamblade

Velidreth (A+): it procs often, and the stamblade playstyle means you’re usually lined up to connect w the poop balls.

Selene (B+): I don’t feel I get the procs I want with it.

Stormfist (B-): I get good proc with this. The fist is just a bit wonky since enemies can move out from under it. It’s a better set for more in your face melee classes, like stam sorcs.

Engine Guardian (A-): I know it’s outnof favor, but with resource management being such an issue there are times I like this. Sometimes I play undaunted dungeons solo just for fun...or grinding...the resources help in scenarios like that.

Single pieces: if you end up with a 5/5/1 build, kragh and domihaus offer really good single piece buffs. In fact, looking at them I wouldn’t mind wearing one of each in some cases. Right now I play my stamblade as a bow build in PvP. If Summerset turns the bow into two set items as I’ve seen some people suggest will happen, I might opt for this config because it might give me more bow power than a full monster set.

Traits

On body pieces, divines still performs best in PvE. In PvP you might need to balance divines and impen. I wear four impen...it really, really helps reduce squishiness.

On weapons, I like nirnhoned on the front bar and infused on the back. (Only one weapon needs to be nirn if you dw, the second sword can be sharp). Why nirn? It boosts power on everything you do - attacks, heals, DOTs, etc. Sharp just pushes through armor better...so if you hit a shield or ward, or if you’re healing, it doesn’t help. Why infused? Right now people are putting weapon damage glyphs on their attack weapons, so they’re using infused to make this go off more frequently and more powerfully.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have questions.
    Answer ✓
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Violynne

With those stats you could totally solo most normal four person dungeons. I have a lot of fun running these solo on my stamblade. They really help me learn better resource management and how to squeeze the most dps from my bars.
    Answer ✓
  • Baybaeckz
    Baybaeckz
    ✭✭✭
    First of all thank you all for all this fabulous information. I have her in VO jewelry, velidreth set and dual wield/ dual wield/ or bow(working on VO daggers). I have some pieces of VO for trials, but I heard the raid captain ask if someone was running NMG, this the questions. This will be predominantly a trial toon, so if any other input would be helpful. Again thank you all for everything
    Answer ✓
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah you are already in trials groups and maybe a pve guild running ver trials and stuff. It was already stated, that NMGs is better in trials than hundings, because its penetration helps other stamina dd‘s to perform much better. But you perform slightly worse than you would with hundings. Thats why atm a good trial group has NMG and sunderflame weared on the stamina dd‘s for maximal penetration.
    But ZoS anounced, that both sets will be changed with summerset, so they wont grant an unique penetration debuff anymore, but both apply major fracture. This debuff is already provided by the tanks main taunt attack and therefore NMG and sunderflame both will be worthless in one month. Till then they still will be used, but if you craft it now, you can deconstruct it again in one month.
    Answer ✓
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @redwoodretired_ESO NMG 5 piece lowers the targets resistance by 2k~ so everyone in the group benefits, however with the next update they're changing this to apply Major Fracture so essentially it's going to be useless as any tank or stamblade (or healer?) will already be applying this.

You'd want it the same as any other crafted set on a stam > heavy chest, light belt(If using 2x heavy go heavy legs) & rest medium so you'd have a 5/1/1 or 5/2.
    Edited by Sparr0w on April 17, 2018 4:18PM
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS