The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Revitalizing Battleground Game Modes

CatastrophicSuccess
Most of the feedback I've heard from people about battlegrounds is that they generally don't like most game types besides Deathmatch. This got me thinking about ways to make the other game modes more engaging.

In flag games:
Making offensive and defensive kills on flags count towards your teams score.
This would encourage people to take more fights instead of just running from flag to flag in a lot of circumstances.

In Capture the Relic:
Add a similar effect from Chaos Ball in Capture the Relic if teams are stuck holding onto a relic for more than a minute. This could also activate when teams pick up their 5th relic making closing out games more tense.

In Chaos Ball:
Add a location on the map where teams can get double points if they hold the ball there. This would bring people out of there spawns and lead to more engagement.

These could also just be bad ideas. What do you think could make battlegrounds more engaging? Or are they fine as it is?

With battlegrounds coming to base game when Summerset launches, I think we'll have a great opportunity to improve the system. Hopefully we'll see some positive changes.
PC NA - CP 1000+

• Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more I play BGs, the more I hate deathmatch, because it’s the only mode in which I can die to players i shouldnt die to due to them spawning with the sigil.

Crazy king is my favorite mode. It has the best fights (until the very end when there are too many flags) and the fighting punishes those who kite excessively. And it doesn’t have a sigil.
    Edited by Thogard on April 11, 2018 8:02PM
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Mic1007
    Mic1007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Capture the Relic, insta-kill players who hold onto a relic for more than 60 seconds. That way a Tank with 50k health can't just hold the enemy relic until theirs is returned and freeze the entire game from progressing as they just shield and heal forever without dying. The amount of games I've been in with this troll method being applied is ridiculous.

For Chaosball, just reset the ball every 2-3 minutes to the original spawn point, that way no group can really hog it for too long. Either that, or make the ball explode if it doesn't change hands fast enough.

Just remove Crazy King altogether. Please. Or at least double the point gain from flags to make it less tedious. :tongue:

Domination and Deathmatch are fine I think. Those two modes seem to actually work pretty well.
    @Mic1007
    Champion Rank 900+
    DC/AD/EP
    PC NA

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Capture the flag and DM are my favorites. Don't care much for the relic one or chaos ball.
  • CatastrophicSuccess
    Thogard wrote: »
    The more I play BGs, the more I hate deathmatch, because it’s the only mode in which I can die to players i shouldnt die to due to them spawning with the sigil.

Crazy king is my favorite mode. It has the best fights (until the very end when there are too many flags) and the fighting punishes those who kite excessively. And it doesn’t have a sigil.

Generally I think the objective based modes can be a lot of fun but once people start to spread out, like the end of crazy king, it's more difficult to get good fights. Chaos ball is probably my second favorite right now for getting consistent fights with all 3 teams.

The sigils can be a bit much sometimes for sure.
    PC NA - CP 1000+

• myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never did Battlegrounds, but I'm interested in them. I read that one can earn good amount of AP, and the description of places seems attractive. I want to see Arcane University! But the description of Battlegrounds is so unclear and scary, that I never attempt to try it. Maybe some training mode with mobs could be added? No rewards, no exp or AP, but just an opportunity to try it.
  • Ladislao
    Ladislao
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This.

Deathmatch is overrated. Sigil ruins fun because team that better (or luckier) controls the sigil wins.
    In the same time Chaosball is the best gamemode if you are looking for fighting. There is only one objective which also needs to be controlled wisely (pick it up with the tankies character; kite around the map; drop it when there are no enemies around, etc). And no sigils.
    The second fun mode is Crazy King. There are a few more objectives, but the essence is about the same.
    Domination is boring as DM in my opinion. The less you fight, the more you bring. Just in one case it is a question of sigils, and in another - about flags.
    I singled CtF out last, but not because it's the worst. It is most different from other modes. A completely different strategy of the game in this mode. By this CtF is good.

So I'd say: Chaosball > Crazy King > Capture the Flag > Deathmatch > Domination :)
    Everything is viable
  • CatastrophicSuccess
    myskyrim26 wrote: »
    I never did Battlegrounds, but I'm interested in them. I read that one can earn good amount of AP, and the description of places seems attractive. I want to see Arcane University! But the description of Battlegrounds is so unclear and scary, that I never attempt to try it. Maybe some training mode with mobs could be added? No rewards, no exp or AP, but just an opportunity to try it.

Don't worry about just jumping in. You should be running some proper sets and be at CP 160 but it's definitely worth trying out!
    PC NA - CP 1000+

• Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    myskyrim26 wrote: »

Yeah man just jump in. Most of the more experienced players will be more than happy to help you get used to it. I’m so used to getting “you’re hacking I reported you” messages from my victims that if someone is nice and actually asks me for advice I will stop whatever I’m doing and help them as much as possible.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mic1007 wrote: »
    For Capture the Relic, insta-kill players who hold onto a relic for more than 60 seconds. That way a Tank with 50k health can't just hold the enemy relic until theirs is returned and freeze the entire game from progressing as they just shield and heal forever without dying. The amount of games I've been in with this troll method being applied is ridiculous.

For Chaosball, just reset the ball every 2-3 minutes to the original spawn point, that way no group can really hog it for too long. Either that, or make the ball explode if it doesn't change hands fast enough.

Just remove Crazy King altogether. Please. Or at least double the point gain from flags to make it less tedious. :tongue:

Domination and Deathmatch are fine I think. Those two modes seem to actually work pretty well.
    60 seconds? Most of the time my magdk does spend a lot more time just to travel to my team relic, i don't even talk about being chased and fights during holding it. What it should do - is disable all movement speed buffs.

Edited by Sugaroverdose on April 13, 2018 8:06AM
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carrying the relic should also disable dodge roll, reflects, absorbs, and immovability potions. If my Magicka classes are going to completely lose their best defenses; ie, streak, mist form, and stealth, then Stamina should face the same issues. And the longer one holds the relic, the weaker shields and heals get, but dodge roll still negates incoming damage just as well as it always does.

Every time a carrier starts spamming reflects, absorbs, dodge rolls, and/or immovability potions, there's not really anything most magicka setups can do to stop them. Or even keep pace really, since sprinting as Mag will get often just get you killed.
  • Mihael
    Mihael
    ✭✭✭✭
    wheem_ESO wrote: »
    Carrying the relic should also disable dodge roll, reflects, absorbs, and immovability potions. If my Magicka classes are going to completely lose their best defenses; ie, streak, mist form, and stealth, then Stamina should face the same issues. And the longer one holds the relic, the weaker shields and heals get, but dodge roll still negates incoming damage just as well as it always does.

Every time a carrier starts spamming reflects, absorbs, dodge rolls, and/or immovability potions, there's not really anything most magicka setups can do to stop them. Or even keep pace really, since sprinting as Mag will get often just get you killed.

I think that’s going a bit too far I agree @Sugaroverdose that removing speed buffs would help a lot. Dodge roll and immovable is only op because people use major expedition. But disabling dodgeroll would screw over a lot of classes not just stam, in light you can still shield.
  • Aznox
    Aznox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally i like all games modes equally and i'm fine the current configuration.

Crazy King + Domination might total for a bit too much flag games in the end, maybe tune down their apparition ratio.

Just my opinion.
    Aznox
    PC EU
    Khajiit Orc Bosmer Stamina Sorcerer and Werewolf Stage 3 Vampire
    I live in Battlegrounds
    Theorycrafting enthusiast
    Official Cheese Lord
    CP1500+ club
  • CatastrophicSuccess
    I agree @Mihael and @wheem_ESO there's definitely some discrepancy between mag and stam for carry game modes. Maybe an increase to dodge roll fatigue while you're holding the relic? That way the goon squad can still roll dodge tactically but there ability to spam it is diminished.
    PC NA - CP 1000+

• Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Funny how opinions can differ. I used to hate deathmatch in the CP BG era, because it used to be a complete tankfest ending up in a lot of stalemates. Now in no CP I really like deathmatch again. Crazy king however is my most hated game mode. I suck at memorization and this game mode heavily weighs on that. Not to mention it is tedious and you have teams winning with barely any kills. I play pvp to kill people, not do some dumb flag dance.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I don't think the sigil in itself is entirely bad. It's a motivator to move around the map instead of camping the middle or one team's spawn point.

But the fact that the game starts with a Sigil and that in a particular map (Foyada Quarry) it's a freebie for one team as it spawns literally below them... yeah that is rather criminal.

They need to make it like Chaos Ball. Spawns after X seconds, not from the start. Also, 30" (Chaosball spawn timer) would be too soon for the Sigil. It can wait for at least a minute. Preferably 2.

Still Deathmatch is the best mode for me. Crazy King starts amazing, but by the time the 3rd and 4th flag spawns, it's become a Domination match. And those are the worst.

Edited by Maulkin on April 13, 2018 6:22PM
    EU | PC | AD
  • Mihael
    Mihael
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maulkin wrote: »

I don't think the sigil in itself is entirely bad. It's a motivator to move around the map instead of camping the middle or one team's spawn point.

But the fact that the game starts with a Sigil and that in a particular map (Foyada Quarry) it's a freebie for one team as it spawns literally below them... yeah that is rather criminal.

They need to make it like Chaos Ball. Spawns after X seconds, not from the start. Also, 30" (Chaosball spawn timer) would be too soon for the Sigil. It can wait for at least a minute. Preferably 2.

Still Deathmatch is the best mode for me. Crazy King starts amazing, but by the time the 3rd and 4th flag spawns, it's become a Domination match. And those are the worst.

I think that the sigil should be removed completely from death match and they can put it in another game mode if they want, but at the very least they should make it so it doesn’t spawn at the beginning giving that team a huge advantage
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mihael wrote: »
    Maulkin wrote: »

I think that the sigil should be removed completely from death match and they can put it in another game mode if they want, but at the very least they should make it so it doesn’t spawn at the beginning giving that team a huge advantage

Tbf it fits there best. Because all the other game modes require movement. Deathmatch's anti-camping mechanic is the Sigil. But I would love to see a type of Deathmatch without the Sigil too. Or one where the Sigil does something else.

For example, they could make the Sigil a points buff instead of a damage buff. Say, if you kill someone while having the Sigil you give your team double points, but if you die the opposition only gets half. Thus it affects the scoreline and you still want to get it, but it does not make you godmode all out of a sudden.
    EU | PC | AD