The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How many skill points do you obtain, in total?

amanfr01
amanfr01
I'm brand new to this game, and I haven't even started yet as I feel a little overwhelmed with the skill point distribution system. I plan on starting tonight, however.

How many skill points do you get once you're level 50? I say this because there are a LOT of areas to put your skill points. I want a healthy mix of crafting and combat, but I don't know if that's necessarily possible. How many points should I put into weapon skills vs. class skills, etc.? If it's one skill point per level, that could be a bit of a limitation if I sort of want a diverse character with multiple options.

Would anyone be able to guide me on this?
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's a grand total of just over 300, but you probably wouldn't want to plan around that unless you're some kind of completionist.
  • amanfr01
    amanfr01
    Oh wow, okay. Yeah I just get a little overwhelmed when starting a new Elder Scrolls game. As much as adore the entire series, sometimes the amount of possibilities makes me anxious, hahahah.

I'm just thinking about how I want to start working my Nightblade. Maybe I should just play it by ear and find a certain playstyle.
    Edited by amanfr01 on April 1, 2014 6:59PM
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Somewhere around 330 skill points are available in game currently and only 150 can be spent I think.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you want, visit esohead.com and use the skill calc. I did that and it made me feel a lot better about just how many skill points it costs to get stuff I want. I ended up with just about everything I would actually want on one character (with extras like crafting that I wasn't initially going to pick up on my 'main') only using like 150 points.
  • Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭
    Since nobody else mentioned it, I think it's important to note that leveling up isn't the only way to earn skill points. There are additional skill points awarded by NPCs for completing quests as well as skill points awarded for collecting Skyshards.
  • amanfr01
    amanfr01
    @Shimond, Thanks for the heads up! I just went to ESO and all of the things I want will only take like 150, as you estimated.

@NaciremaDiputs‌ - Thanks for telling me! That makes sense considering there are like 300+ skill points.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Considering just taking all your class skills and morphing is like 60 points right there...

150 might be a decent number to shoot for. There are a TON of skill lines, and you dont even have to use your class skills for anything.