The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

BETNIKH: UNEARTHING THE PAST: Collecting Motes

Drackz
Drackz
Soul Shriven
Hello,

So I have now dealt with this bug across 4 toons I am leveling. The key is to find a spot where you see dead bodies on ground with no blue magic circles. When a cultist appears regardless of type the circle will appear, and when you kill the cultist that appear there, the motes will appear. Just camp this spot and you will get the quest done. The spot is different per server. I found that when I logged on to my different toons to do this quest that spot had changed.

There is alot of myths about this quest, like wait till they knell etc ... wait till they perform ritual etc... you must tag them for you to see motes etc... None of these are the truth, it just appears to be.

The ritual is a circle appearing, which seems to be instant upon the NPC spawning in the location. The bug in part is that the circles don't de-spawn where npcs are once killed. So those spots you see circles that dont disappear when you kill the npc arnt the right spots.

Hopefully this helps, And I hope this bugged gets fixed before more enter game, it is a roadblock for this zone. Very very frustrating.
Edited by Drackz on April 1, 2014 12:30PM
  • Narenek
    Narenek
    Thanks that seemd to work after an hr camping circles :open_mouth:
  • Drackz
    Drackz
    Soul Shriven
    I just did it on my 4th toon, and on my original log in i had another glitch which was I was not seeing circles thats others could see. This meant that I thought i was in the right spot but was not. What you are trying to find is a spot where a circle would appear, but is currently empty of a magic circle. I re logged, and found the right spot for that log in. Also it should not take you an hour, the refresh timer is about 4min.
    Edited by Drackz on April 1, 2014 2:39PM
  • Daggrim
    Daggrim
    Yes you are correct. I randomly found a spot like you are describing last night and it worked for me. Took me 10 mins as the spawn rate was about 3 minutes. This was a brutal quest to get done. Not enough info rpovided for it. Or parts broken.
  • TwistedRiddlesb14_ESO
    Daggrim wrote: »
    Yes you are correct. I randomly found a spot like you are describing last night and it worked for me. Took me 10 mins as the spawn rate was about 3 minutes. This was a brutal quest to get done. Not enough info rpovided for it. Or parts broken.

It's parts broken. In no way is it intended that one spot in that area is the only spot where the correct mobs will spawn. But at least it is a reliable work around.
  • LostGamer
    LostGamer
    ✭✭✭
    It is a very poorly designed quest. They need to change the mechanic very soon.
    Thanks for the tips!