The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Professions spread accross alts, or all on one main?

neiljwd
neiljwd
✭✭✭
I've been told that there's enough skill points in the game, to allow you to fully flesh out your combat and guild skills, and still have enough left over for all 5 professions.

IS that really true?
What are people doing with proffs, all on 1 char, or a spread?
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    According to Zenimax, you should be able to fully flesh out 2 proffs per character and not gimp your pve/PvP. I'll be trying all though cause I'm not too bothered about end game as I live to craft.
  • SigneGT
    SigneGT
    I have heard that the "two professions" thing is from back when profs had their own skilllines and didn't share points with anyone else.

With the way the system works now, you should be able to make use of all professions and still be viable in combat.

You're going to have to collect skyshards and get to a high level though :)

Would love to see a Zenimax employee answer though, don't take my word for it.
  • zamiel
    zamiel
    ✭✭✭
    They say you'll finish with about 200 skill points.

The bare minimum you'll need in crafting is:
    Alchemy - 7
    Blacksmithing - 9
    Clothing - 9
    Enchanting - 13
    Provisioning - 9
    Woodworking - 9
    Total - 56 skill points.
    You'll be able to create full power everything with this investment - only not as much or that easily as a dedicated crafter. But 56 is a full crafter build, everything else is convenience.

You'll have then 144 skill points to flesh out your toon. That's enough for about two full builds without any overlapping (so 4 different weapons, totally different armors, absolutely different passives - let's say this is highly unlikely). I'd say you can be a full-time perfect crafter and a 100% PvE-PvP toon at once.

And also note that there are about 300 skill points in the game. That is more than enough even for convenience.
  • neiljwd
    neiljwd
    ✭✭✭
    That's good stuff Zamiel
  • Parlabane
    Parlabane
    Soul Shriven
    I agree with your points, Zamiel. I chose, however, to go with crafting alts not so much because of skill point concerns as inventory concerns. There's just so many materials to collect. I realize it's possible to use up the materials of a given tier of crafting and move onwards to the next to save on inventory space, but I find just dumping the stuff in the bank and withdrawing it on crafting alts much easier.

This system of mine will allow me to feel free to dump points into all the crafting skills without worrying about gimped characters. I've gone with three crafting alts:

Blacksmith/Clothier/Woodworker (make efficient use of racial motifs!)
    Alchemist/Enchanter
    Provisioner (lots of mats to collect for this one profession)

Meanwhile my main character is a non-crafter giving me freedom to dump points into anything. The crafting alts will allow me to test out stuff on the other three classes that might interest me. I'm confident I can put together viable PvE builds with them early on in order to start gathering points for the crafting lines. If I understand late-game correctly, points start coming fast and furious so I expect I won't have to take any of these crafting alts beyond my home faction's land into veteran ranks territory before I have three fully-fleshed out crafters.
  • Allonan
    Allonan
    ✭✭✭
    I plan on having my characters be able to craft almost everything... any my main will be able to do it all... but it will take time for sure. The 300+ points that are in game will require PvP, Dungeons, Exploration, Quests, Levels, etc so it will take a long time before you can be fully fleshed out.

If you dedicate your combat build to one main style of class skills, weapons, and armor you should be off to a good start... if you jump into a lot of alt builds for combat it will be harder to craft everything. But I am looking forward to the challenge!
    Nothing is impossible... there are only differing degrees of probability.
  • MichaelD
    MichaelD
    Is it possible to have an alt level 1 to be crafter? Or you need levels to be able to craft?
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    MichaelD wrote: »
    Is it possible to have an alt level 1 to be crafter? Or you need levels to be able to craft?
    Nope, anyone can craft, from level 1, no skills required. You only need skills to craft beyond level 15 (level 15 items I mean).

Things like traits are things that need skills (well, they call it researching). But anyone can craft basic items. I think anyone can apply existing enchantments as well.

Edited by SadisticSavior on March 31, 2014 8:43PM
  • Allonan
    Allonan
    ✭✭✭
    Crafting uses the same skill points as everything else... so while you can level up your crafting with a level one alt... you will need skill points to put them into the ability to be better at crafting. You ultimately have to adventure to get skill points to have your crafter be able to advance and get better... just like your fighting ability.

The main point I would say is that there is no actual level requirement... just skill points... so if you focus on crafting with your skill points you can get very good at it with lots of perks quickly at low level... but your combat will suffer if you try and go too fast into crafting.
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't buy everything with skill points, since there are only 300.
    You will, however, be able to create a great build and still be a good crafter.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Allonan
    Allonan
    ✭✭✭
    It currently takes 137 skill points to max every perk in each crafting profession... so with over 300 skill points in the game you COULD master them all and still have more then enough points to make an effective combat character. It will take a long time and really take some creative use of storage space for mats as you do it. But it is very much in the realm of possible and effective if that is your goal.

I know as I do not PvP that frees up a lot of skill points for crafting.
  • TheVindelator
    TheVindelator
    ✭✭✭
    There are special forges throughout the world with set item bonuses. A low level alt may have trouble reaching them.
  • Stautmeister
    Stautmeister
    ✭✭✭
    Level an alt to level ~level 10, get all the skillpoints needed for a single crafting proffesion. Send everything he can deconstruct from your main to your alt and you can have a pure crafting character with very little actual fighting time needed.
    although level 8 can probably also be done :)
    An orc marrying a wood elf?! Enjoy your Borsimer mutants!
  • Sorpaijen_ESO
    Sorpaijen_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Parlabane wrote: »

Blacksmith/Clothier/Woodworker (make efficient use of racial motifs!)
    Alchemist/Enchanter
    Provisioner (lots of mats to collect for this one profession)

I have one Blacksmith/Clothier/Woodworker for the reason noted above, and then I have a separate Alchemist, Provisioner and Enchanter for the simple reason that there are a metric ton of ingredients for each of those (particularly enchanter).

I even had to enlist another alt to hold the gems for Traits, since my main crafter was running out of space. I don't know why it did not occur to me sooner, but I then stumbled across a faster way to level up my main crafter --- have my "mule" craft some stuff and then bank it and have my main deconstruct it. It "wastes" my communal resources to have my non-crafter craft things, but the deconstruction xp for my main is MUCH better.

Once my main crafter gets beyond the first tier, though, I imagine the mule's crafting days will end. Or who knows, maybe I'll end up tag-teaming two crafters to level both up faster than one by herself.