The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Fps Issues after 2 year hiatus of playing

Scythiss
Scythiss
Does this game have some sort of memory leak? was able to play in 4k on older specs with no issues, I have upgraded hardware now and have fps issues. Game starts off smooth at first, then fps starts dipping down after 15 minutes of game play or so. Any ideas to fix? I this is also when using 32 bit client and 64 bit client. I get no issues with any other games that I have played.

My specs 2 years ago I had no fps issues in 4k

Video Card: 980ti
Cpu: i7 6700k
ram: 32GB

My Specs now

Video card: 1080ti
Cpu: i7 8700k
Ram: 32GB
  • MaddPowered
    MaddPowered
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming that you never uninstalled the game, Chances are you have some extremely outdated addons you need to get rid of.
    World's First Planesbreaker
    World's First Bugged Planesbreaker
    World's First Dawnbringer
    World's Third Godslayer
    World's Second Immortal Redeemer
    World's Third Gryphon Heart

Top scores :
    vAA - 4D (PC NA) - 154,068 - 8:31 Greymoor
    vSO - 4D (PC NA) - 180,238 - 11:28 Greymoor
    vHRC - 4D (PC NA) - 163,258 - 8:28 Greymoor
    vMOL - Calamity (PC NA) - 174,680 - 9:42 Stonethorn
    vHOF - 4D (PC NA) - 232,362 - 14:11 Greymoor
    vAS - 4D (PC NA) - 117,014 - 2:41 Stonethorn
    vCR - Calamity (PC NA) - 136,091 - 3:45 Stonethorn
    vSS - 4D (PC NA) - 255,552 - 21:34 Greymoor
    vKA - 4D (PC NA) - 247,292 - 16:19 Greymoor
    vRG - Calamity (PC NA) - 301,438 - 24:21 Blackwood
  • Scythiss
    Scythiss
    Assuming that you never uninstalled the game, Chances are you have some extremely outdated addons you need to get rid of.

I have done a clean reinstall since then, but I do have a ton of outdated addons. I will take a look at these and it one of them is causing it I will report the culprit. Thanks so much for the idea, wouldn't of event thought about addons!
  • Scythiss
    Scythiss
    hmmm still sees to drop in fps, dips in the 40's still at certain times. It's still playable so I guess I should try not to ignore it.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scythiss wrote: »
    hmmm still sees to drop in fps, dips in the 40's still at certain times. It's still playable so I guess I should try not to ignore it.

The game will always have those "drops at certain times", especially if you've been away from it for the last 2 years, you've missed a LOT of stability changes and haven't gotten used to the norm.

Honestly bud if you can still maintain 30+ at such a high resolution, I wouldn't call that poor performance. Just something to live with about ESO.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Scythiss
    Scythiss
    ArchMikem wrote: »

The game will always have those "drops at certain times", especially if you've been away from it for the last 2 years, you've missed a LOT of stability changes and haven't gotten used to the norm.

Honestly bud if you can still maintain 30+ at such a high resolution, I wouldn't call that poor performance. Just something to live with about ESO.

ahhh, so it's something they did with the game. 2 years ago in previous gen hardware I was fine in 4k. Wonder what they did, hopefully cyrodil will still be okay.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was your complete reinstall recent? Delete your cooked shader cache and let eso rebuild it on startup.

Also, if you previously tweaked settings by hand in the config files, let eso rebuild those too.
    :smile:

PS: There is no 32 bit client anymore. The 32 bit exe is actually just a copy of the 64 bit exe now.
    Edited by SirAndy on April 1, 2018 12:50AM
  • Casowen
    Casowen
    ✭✭✭
    Is there an addon that can increase FPS? I dont use any, so time to get into them.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want your cpu :'(
  • ParaNostram
    ParaNostram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly, I've been having problems with frame rate and have since launch twice had to drop my quality down to get the same frame rate as I used to have. When I started this game, I rocked about 20-30 FPS on high graphical settings (I can play with that FPS, tbh too fluid of FPS gives me a headache oddly enough) but now I can only get 30fps on the lowest graphical settings. I'm not talking about new areas even.
    "Your mistake is you begged for your life, not for mercy. I will show you there are many fates worse than death."

Para Nostram
    Bosmer Sorceress
    Witch of Evermore

"Death is a privilege that can be denied by it's learned scholars."
    Order of the Black Worm
  • Zagnut123Zagnut123
    Zagnut123Zagnut123
    ✭✭✭✭

I have a similar setup and (1080 instead of a 1080ti) but I play at a constant 140 frames in overworked and the worst I've yet to get in trials is 60 on the 4th boss in vhof. There has to be something on your end causing this issue for instance before youtook a break you probably didn't have all the settings to max and maybe even had adjusted your nvidia settings a little as well. Also what @SirAndy is a good idea as well. If the shader cached.cooked file can cause issues if it fills up. It should be at around 10mb if over 11mb it should be deleted
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Turn shadows off, make sure you're not on ultra, turn off distortion, turn down view distance. All should help you a lot.
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    FPS drops are a feature of ESO now and yes it does have a memory leak
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Specs now

Btw. i have the exact same setup, 1080ti, i7 8700k, Win 10 and i usually never drop below 60fps with everything set to max.
  • Scythiss
    Scythiss
    SirAndy wrote: »
    My Specs now

Btw. i have the exact same setup, 1080ti, i7 8700k, Win 10 and i usually never drop below 60fps with everything set to max.

Are you playing in 4k as well? Eso is the only game I have fps issuues with every other game is fine. I’m going to try the suggested above, if that doesn’t work, I’ll reformat my pc and install again and see what happens.
    Edited by Scythiss on April 1, 2018 4:32AM
  • Zagnut123Zagnut123
    Zagnut123Zagnut123
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Specs now

Are you playing in 4k as well? Eso is the only game I have fps issuues with every other game is fine. I’m going to try the suggested above, if that doesn’t work, I’ll reformat my pc and install again and see what happens.

Reformatting and reinstalling seems a but overkill. What ate your in game settings for the game do you play with completely maxed out settings? If yes does it mirror what you played with a year ago and are your nvidia settings the same. So subtle things can cause fps issues like turning vsync and anti-alising in the in game panel as well as using full screen mode if you've made sure that everything is the same as before then maybe a fresh install isn't a bad option.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I get this a lot, but its common among games that play in windowed mode, they get thrown from the foreground into the background dropping FPS sharply from 100+ to 30-40. The easy fix is to select either the taskbar or the other monitor space then back on the game (so it puts it upfront in the foreground) which brings it back to 100 FPS. Why not just play in full screen you might ask, single-minded attention doesn't work for me I like doing other stuff while playing, like right now I'm typing this up as I am going through my hireling mail on all 15 characters.
  • Mordors
    Mordors
    ✭✭✭
    My Specs now

don't do that since nothing helps, ESO been like this for the high end hardware i spend tons of time trying to fix the performance in this game ... talking customer support trying all options and sht noting will help don't waste your time mate game is just not optimized for high end hardware
    Edited by Mordors on April 1, 2018 10:36AM
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Depending on where I am, my FPS range from 140 (yes there is a tweak to un-clamp the 100 FPS max) in solo instances to 1 when Master Merchant is updating in a crowded bank lol.

In busy city hubs its hardly ever above 45. In group dungeons it's hardly ever below 90 for me. The thing that brings it down the most for me is how many other players and their mounts with all their unique GFX are near me.

And yes, the performance is worse now than it was 3 or 4 year ago.
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Performance greatly worsened compared to 2015.

Plus, memory leaks are still quite potent and stack up fast if you teleport or respawn a lot. This is easily visible doing vMA, if you die a lot you need to relog else you end up playing a slide-show.

Last but not least, some locations and trials seem especially cursed by lag. MOL twins are perhaps the laggiest encounter in the whole game, some times my FPS drops to 20 - only in there.
    Edited by Vahrokh on April 1, 2018 12:25PM
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Silly question, but when was the last time you dusted out the inside of your tower with a can of compressed air?

I noticed I was having performance issues a while ago, so I updated all my drivers, ran my anti-virus system scan multiple times, de-fragged again and again, used task manager to turn off every background program I could... nothing seemed to help.

So I dusted my computer out and found a bit of dust in my fans. Immediately cleared up the problem. Now the only time my frame rates drop is when I’m going into a high population area and there’s a ton of textures that need to load. Even then, it’s only temporary.

My cpu is a few years old and pretty middle of the road, but still running 60 fps.
  • Scythiss
    Scythiss
    srfrogg23 wrote: »
    Silly question, but when was the last time you dusted out the inside of your tower with a can of compressed air?

I noticed I was having performance issues a while ago, so I updated all my drivers, ran my anti-virus system scan multiple times, de-fragged again and again, used task manager to turn off every background program I could... nothing seemed to help.

So I dusted my computer out and found a bit of dust in my fans. Immediately cleared up the problem. Now the only time my frame rates drop is when I’m going into a high population area and there’s a ton of textures that need to load. Even then, it’s only temporary.

My cpu is a few years old and pretty middle of the road, but still running 60 fps.

Maybe about a week and a half ago. Was clean to begin with, but I did it anyways lol.
  • Scythiss
    Scythiss
    So I did a clean re install of my drivers, clean installed the game with no results. I also reformatted my pc, and have the same issue. I think it's 100% the game, I have no issues with any other game what so ever, this is all maxed out graphics in 4k. Also changing the resolution or graphics does nothing for my fps, even went down to 1k. A friend of mine has the same hardware with the same issue. I think it's just the game, oddly enough it seems like some people have the issue and some do not.