Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does anyone actually look at the houses as they're being created for the game?

M_Volsung
M_Volsung
✭✭✭✭✭
I purchased Mistveil Manor a few months ago, a considerable amount of time and energy was spent gathering up the gold in game to do so... now I'm not saying it was as strenuous as working to pay off a mortgage or anything, but it was still time and effort spent.

Sadly, it took me until just recently to notice that both someone wasn't paying attention to the build and I was being denied access to space that could be used inside the house.

Here we see the outside of the house, as you can see the walls clearly line up with the doorway all along the front, nothing spectacular, but there it is...
kU4VBka.png

But once you go inside you can see there's a short hallway coming in before you reach where the walls are inside...
CbvbI6n.png

Now, in my mind, that says there's two huge chunks of floorspace I can't use because those walls need to be pushed out until they line up with the doors, because going by the outside dimensions of the house, the interior should be much larger than it actually is.

Now, in the grand scheme of things ESO this isn't an earth-shattering concern, but I do feel it needs some addressing along with similar issues with the other homes people are spending massive amounts of in-game gold and crowns bought with real money on.

I love this house, that's why I worked so hard to get it, but this sort of thing makes my eye twitch every time I go in and will dampen any desire to buy other homes in the game.

...and don't get me started on those windows, which would be shoved up against a mountain, that have sunlight streaming through them...
"In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • xbobx
    xbobx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it has been clear for quite some time the developers are lazy and do no testing at all on most content.

they rely on the players to do that for them and then they decide what they feel like fixing
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    xbobx wrote: »
    it has been clear for quite some time the developers are lazy and do no testing at all on most content.

they rely on the players to do that for them and then they decide what they feel like fixing

For housing and costumes fixes will never happen.
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    All nord style houses, NPC and player homes both, are like this. It hasn't changed since the game came out.
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly? There are a LOT of questionable things I've noticed with the in-game homes. From Hakkvild's High Hall's interior being ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS to Princely Dawnlight Palace having stairs going down into the ocean instead of stairs going down to a beach area like Hunding's Palatial Hall has, most of the homes have design choices that trigger ALL of the OCD in me. >.<
  • M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly? There are a LOT of questionable things I've noticed with the in-game homes. From Hakkvild's High Hall's interior being ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS to Princely Dawnlight Palace having stairs going down into the ocean instead of stairs going down to a beach area like Hunding's Palatial Hall has, most of the homes have design choices that trigger ALL of the OCD in me. >.<

I've studied architecture and engineering,which doesn't help with this.

Vivec city almost makes me break out in hives...

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of medieval Scandinavian homes had large compartments in the front of the house to store grain over the winter. Not only was this an important way to set food aside and protect it from anyone who might try to steal it, the grain provided massive insulation that would help the home retain heat and stay warmer overnight.

None of that is true, but if it helps you can pretend that it is.
  • Argruna
    Argruna
    ✭✭✭
    I bought Humblemud believing I could use the little room above and get inside there only to find out that nope, invisible ceiling. So now, I'm getting super picky about what house I buy next and have started asking people in major zones if I can visit their house or if anyone has a certain one and if they encountered problems if there isn't anything I can notice off the bat with a preview.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jhalin wrote: »
    All nord style houses, NPC and player homes both, are like this. It hasn't changed since the game came out.

The people doing the outside are under a different employee NDA from the people doing the inside. They aren't allowed to talk to each other. :smile:

Honestly, I have often wondered about this. I figure that no one bothered to do matching interior and exterior assets for some of this stuff.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Argruna Other than the inn rooms I also have Autumn's Gate in the Rift, a simple little place but even that one has issues...

In the house there's an invisible ceiling just a little higher than the character can jump, though I haven't yet checked outside to see how high it is, and also, back to poor layout, there are two windows that, on the outside, are buried in the wall that surrounds the place.

A lot of these issues with the houses are something that could be sorted out over the course of a weekend... if ZOS could be arsed to do it.

• M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @lordrichter Hells, all they'd need to do for Mistveil is turn the interior windows into doorways, add the walls and floor, and boom, two more rooms to play with since, going by the exterior layout, those two "dead" areas are meant to be part of the house, they're the area right under the upstairs balcony.

• Argruna
    Argruna
    ✭✭✭
    @M_Volsung Yeah, a lot of houses have that invisible ceiling problem where it doesn't make sense that need to be fixed. From what I remember, Twin Arches has an invisible ceiling problem as well where you can't get on the roof. After dealing with housing from games like Rift and Wildstar, I like ESO's style the best but really wish they'd take the time to fix everything and add some quality of life changes (I didn't realize how much I missed Wildstar's housing ui until I started mucking with ESO housing). It's just a little frustrating overall to save that gold up only to find you can't do what you wanted. It's gotten to the point where I kind of want to do a guide of houses that have silly restrictions or design faux pas so there is a comprehensive guide of this.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Take a look at Hakkvild some time to see what you're missing.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dodgehopper_ESO Thanks, but no... my blood pressure is already high enough as it is.

• RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about Daggerfall manor that house is screw up so hard lol
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    M_Volsung wrote: »
    @dodgehopper_ESO Thanks, but no... my blood pressure is already high enough as it is.

I'm just pointing out another home with a lot of missing space that's all. Its got a lot of potential but I really think they messed up on the interior.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>