The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Programming Language? Engine?

frogturtle6b14_ESO
frogturtle6b14_ESO
Soul Shriven
I was just wondering what programming language ESO was written in.

A dumb question you may say, and I realize that this game has its own engine. What engine might that be? What was the engine written in?

You may be wondering why I want to know these answers. No, it's not because I want to program an entire Elder Scrolls game myself (although that would be awesome, and nearly impossible considering the size and experience of the development team).

So, anyone have a clue at what ESO was written in? A combination of programming languages? A main one?
  • SirLee
    SirLee
    ✭✭
    Odds are some variant of C++ for the most part. No large system like this is written in just one language. You will have scripting languages, graphical engines, server side tools, ect... all have different best use programing tools and languages to use. A large part of the back end will be in SQL for the data base. Lua is probably used for the scripting. The graphical engine is probably mostly done in C++.
    He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot will be victorious. Sun Tzu
  • Yshaar
    Yshaar
    ✭✭✭
    The Engine is called Havoc Engine. They have a name for their engine, I just forgot it. They used the Hero Engine for first tests in the beginning, then they wrote their own.

More info here:
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/25/why-the-elder-scrolls-online-isn-39-t-using-heroengine.aspx

Language? Well probably c/c++.
    Edited by Yshaar on April 1, 2014 12:13AM
  • hrdndv_ESO
    hrdndv_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Actually the Havoc engine has been around quite some time. It is a good engine for HD games. It also has fewer bugs and easier to update than most other engines.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Havoc is not a complete game engine, it's just a physics library that one includes in the game engine.

I believe the game engine is a heavily modified version of the Hero engine ...
    :)
  • frogturtle6b14_ESO
    frogturtle6b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks all