The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Please explain Morphing?

Eryndae
Eryndae
I have a sorcerer who has wandered her way to level 6-- taking my time and loving the game so far! (Though I seriously need work on my cc's, interrupts, and etc., hehe) I noticed all the clannfears running around in town, and see that they are a 'morphed' ability. There are other skills/abilities that morph too, I know--- but I have no idea how! Skill points? Increased levels?
  • Seikon
    Seikon
    ✭✭✭
    @Eryndae‌ When your skill reaches a certain level, you can morph it the next time you have a skill point.

You'll see three small diamonds next to the skill and clicking on that will show you the two morphs available with their description.
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each ability has a 'rank' (displayed in the abilities menu - 'k'). Every ability is available to morph at rank 4 - the more you use the ability, the quicker it will increase in rank.
    Once you have a skill point, go to a rank 4 ability. Next to it should be a symbol showing 3 squares - click on that, and then choose which morph you want for that ability.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morph let's you evolve a skill when it's reached max level. You choose between two versions that have each an added effect and then level the new skill
  • Eryndae
    Eryndae
    Thanks to both of you, Seikon and Inversus! : D
  • tallenn
    tallenn
    ✭✭✭
    Also note that you never HAVE to morph any particular skill. It does cost a skill point, and if it's something you hardly use, or you aren't particularly impressed by either of its morphs, you may not find it worth spending a skill point on.
  • Llokii_x
    Llokii_x
    Soul Shriven
    If you morph an ability, and then reset your skill points, do you need to level that skill back up to 4 in order to morph it again? Or does the skill return to level 4 once you unlock it again?
  • Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bear in mind if you morph a spell, it changes it to a new version - you do not get an extra spell. Be careful reading the description because once, in a Beta weekend, I morphed a ranged damage spell and it turned into a personal AOE damage spell with a very small radius. It was my fault because I wasn't paying attention, lol.
  • EclipseEGO
    Llokii_x wrote: »
    If you . morph an ability, and then reset your skill points, do you need to level that skill back up to 4 in order to morph it again? Or does the skill return to level 4 once you unlock it again?

No, your skill levels are stored.

• Prospero_ESO
    Prospero_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    maybe somebody can shed a light on this. i morphed several skills from the dragon knight skill lines and from the dual wield skill lines. now despite i am using the morphed skills they don´t level, the seem to be stuck at level 1. Is this a bug or is the level of morphed skills in some way connected or dependend on the level of the character ?
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skill leveling is pretty wonky. Use them a lot during quest completion.

Oh, and look at the costs. Keep in mind that the morph choices on the bottom tend to have greater effects - but with greater cost to them.