The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Brand New Do First

kxmc65_ESO
kxmc65_ESO
Soul Shriven
Hi there. It looks like there are tons of things to do in this game. This will be my first time playing. Proficient at Wow. Should I just play through to max level first, to get used to play, etc, or should I also try to craft during my first play through? Basically, is there something I might miss out on doing that I really need to? Thinking of trying stam NB or Warden, by the way. TIA
Ken
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I played my first/main character as my sole focus, so it is also my crafter. If you plan to get most Skyshards and do most quests, you shouldn't run out of skill points to do everything on one character :)
    Also respeccing is easy at any point, you can reset skills or even just your morphs, and attribute points. So if you change your mind on what weapons or role you want to play, it's easy to swap :)
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can use the armour that you find for now. If you are going to be a magicka user, I would go with 5 light, 1 medium ( arms ), 1 heavy ( chest ). The reason I pick those is they give you most protection.

Everything else ( armour and weapons ) that you do not use, I would decon all but the ones that you can research. Start researching right away. It starts out fast, but with each piece that you research, on a trait, the time doubles.

If you are going to ESO+ ( subscribe ), I would loot everything, gather every resource node. You may not use everything but after you gather enough stuff, check out a trade guild to sell the things you do not use. Check the bottom of the forum main page to find a Guild that will fit your needs. Some you will have to pay a weekly fee, in the form of raffle tickets, or an X amount in sales. Others do not have that restriction.

As far as game play goes, I would start out on the quests on your starter island for your faction. As you progress it will lead you to other areas. Don't worry about the mobs being to strong, you will be leveled ( Health, Stamina, Magicka ) to be able to beat most fights. As you level you will notice that your 3 stats will go down slightly as you gain more powerful weapons and spells.

I hope this helps. Also the main thing is HAVE FUN.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the game!

Your initial 25ish levels can be about learning the various mechanics and systems. Just explore, have fun, and pick any fight you feel like picking. Don’t stress too much about any choices in the game...you can’t screw anything up on your character. But I’ll offer my standard basic starter tips.

1. Don’t stress over attribute points. Put ALL into your fighting resource, meaning invest in stam for a stam character and magic for a magic toon. I’d explain why, but it’s boring and it’ll be over your head right now. Just invest them all this way, and six months from now you’ll be like “oh, I get why that makes sense.”

2. Skill points be plentiful! Unlock any ability you want to try, and invest in any passive that sounds good. Recasting is cheap, and you don’t need to horde points for later. There are so many in the game now that you can unlock all class abilities and passives, several weapon lines, be a master crafter, and still spend more all over.

3. Join the mages and fighters guilds in your zone one city. Fighters is important because it can’t level until you join. You don’t have to do those quest lines, but just join to get the skill lines.

4. Since you’re an experienced rpg-er, just some brief notes on how lines level to get you started:

Class and weapon skill lines level by having an ability from the line on your bar when you earn Xp. Slotting a dual wield ability, for example, levels that skill and the dual wield line. Stacking multiple abilities from a line levels the skill line faster. As a rule, try to slot abilities from each of your class skill lines...the later skills are typically powerful, and you want all lines working up.

Armor skills level by wearing armor of that type. You need to wear 2 or 3 pieces to get a line to show up. I disagree with another poster...light armor is for magic dps, and medium is for stam dps. For end game, most players wear mostly the armor for their fighting resource plus a piece or two of heavy. If you’re a stamina character, wear a mix of medium and heavy.

Guild skills vary by guild. Fighters is by killing undead and dadra. Mages is by collecting purple lore books. Dark brotherhood and thieves guild level by working missions for those guilds.

Racial and soul magic work up as your main character level goes up.

Alliance war skills level as you earn AP in PvP.

5. Crafting can be rewarding, but it’s not essential. Experiment with it...don’t feel obligated to spend too much time there unless you enjoy crafting. I like crafting...I’ve made tens of millions crafting...but it’s not for everyone. For now, deconstruct crap and level the lines, then as you learn the game decide how much crafting you want to do. As others have said, it sucks up a lot of skill points, but there are enough shards and quests out there to do it.

6. For beginners, I usually recommend choosing one of the major story arcs and following those for a bit. This is a good way to learn since the game was designed around introducing mechanics as you progressed. The story arcs I’m mostly,referring to are the faction quest lines that weave through the zones in the three factions. I’d suggest picking AD, DC or EP and picking up their first quests in the zone 1 city for the faction you choose (vukel guard, daggerfall or davons Watch). The factions quest lines are very long...there are like five multi-stage quests in each of the five zones. They reward a ton of skill points and xp.

Now that you can go anywhere, it can be a bit confusing to follow these lines. It helps to understand that with the faction lines every single quest begins where the previous left off. Quest givers will always point you to the next location. My personal favorite faction line is AD, because you start off in tranquil auridon and then it gets wilder as you progress. And I think the story makes the most sense (ep always confuses me).

Again, welcome!
  • TruthSeeker
    TruthSeeker
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget to have a riding lesson every 20 hours.
  • Wir2ality
    Wir2ality
    Hi

I m not brand new but still bit of a noob lol

I m a tank level 520. I have done many vet dungeons now (i m a lone wolf atm). I done bout 50% solo missions, on my 2nd dominion (so like condwells silver). I have done mages guild and other one, almost completed thiefs and started assasins guild.

What should i try next ? i hear bout arenas and pvp arenas. i m eso plus . do i need to go to orsinuim or that solid place in the centre wrothgar is it? i only touched pvp and never done trials .ganna do trials later. Where should i head next ?

I know thers a tone of stuff out there to do !! Right??? but u kno whats fun? whats easy? and whats grindy?

Edited by Wir2ality on April 1, 2018 7:47AM