The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Starter Zones Changed?

Mopar63
Mopar63
✭✭✭
I am curious if the starter zones got changed. I made an Orc for a second character to play when I am home alone and was surprised when I was put into a Nord starter zone. Where the starter zones changed?
True honor need not be named
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The starter zones aren't race specific - they're faction specific.
    If your nord is in the same alliance of your orc, then they will have the same starter zone.

Note that starter zones haven't changed, but you are now able to skip the starter zones entirely.
    Edited by Inversus on March 31, 2014 8:26PM
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • richvhb14_ESO
    richvhb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    The starter zones haven't changed (with the proviso that you now have the option to skip the starter islands), but if you bought the Imperial pack you can choose to play any race in any alliance. That's probably what happened to you.
  • Mopar63
    Mopar63
    ✭✭✭
    I did not choose an alliance for my Orc... Should I not be in the Breton/Redguard/Orc zone?
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mopar63 wrote: »
    I did not choose an alliance for my Orc... Should I not be in the Breton/Redguard/Orc zone?

Since you preordered (you must have if you have early access) you can choose your alliance separately from your race choice.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Mopar63
    Mopar63
    ✭✭✭
    Except I never saw an option to do this when I made the character...
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mopar63 wrote: »
    Except I never saw an option to do this when I made the character...

On the first tab of character creation, where you choose your race & alliance, you should have been able to choose alliance & race.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • phermitgb
    phermitgb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    honestly, I think what he might be asking without even realizing it, is that shouldn't the Orc race *default* to the standard orc alliance (which is daggerfall) unless he *chooses* to make it a different alliance - and I don't think it does.

I've made several characters, and I haven't yet detected a pattern that decides what the default race, gender and alliance are, but alliance and race do NOT seem to be automatically linked during the opener character gen screen, as near as I can tell.

So, what I'm saying, is it's possible that, because you bought the pre-order, you have the "option" of selecting any race for any alliance. The "option" isn't something you select personally - all it does is un-link the races to the alliance options - which means it's quite possible that when the character gen screen popped up, you *picked* orc, you picked gender, you automatically *assumed* that the game would link orc and daggerfall, but it may have opened on a different alliance, and since the alliance/races are no longer linked, didn't move it when you selected orc.

Hope that made sense...I'm just guessing, but it does match my experience building some of my own characters - i'd make a breton, and then look down to see what alliance I was in, and I seem to remember it wasn't DC every time.
    "There is no correct resolution; It's a test of character."
    James T. Kirk
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    phermitgb wrote: »
    honestly, I think what he might be asking without even realizing it, is that shouldn't the Orc race *default* to the standard orc alliance (which is daggerfall) unless he *chooses* to make it a different alliance - and I don't think it does.

I've made several characters, and I haven't yet detected a pattern that decides what the default race, gender and alliance are, but alliance and race do NOT seem to be automatically linked during the opener character gen screen, as near as I can tell.

So, what I'm saying, is it's possible that, because you bought the pre-order, you have the "option" of selecting any race for any alliance. The "option" isn't something you select personally - all it does is un-link the races to the alliance options - which means it's quite possible that when the character gen screen popped up, you *picked* orc, you picked gender, you automatically *assumed* that the game would link orc and daggerfall, but it may have opened on a different alliance, and since the alliance/races are no longer linked, didn't move it when you selected orc.

Hope that made sense...I'm just guessing, but it does match my experience building some of my own characters - i'd make a breton, and then look down to see what alliance I was in, and I seem to remember it wasn't DC every time.

Not necessarily. If he was clicking on different factions before choosing his race. He most definitely made the change himself. Which is what seems to be the case.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Mopar63
    Mopar63
    ✭✭✭
    Okay did not realize that the Faction click was independent of the race choice, DUH. :-) All good now.
  • ChuiDuma
    ChuiDuma
    ✭✭✭

Not necessarily. If he was clicking on different factions before choosing his race. He most definitely made the change himself. Which is what seems to be the case.

Actually, I believe they are all defaulting to AD - I have made 5 characters and had to select all of them individually. Faction doesn't change when you change race.
    * Mara's Tester * >:) * The Psijic Order *
    * Werewolf *