The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Veteran Dungeon Tanking

ZeuZLoD
ZeuZLoD
I haven't played in couple years so everything I knew is totally different. Currently playing a magicka templar and looking to do some dungeon tanking (not the trial stuffs). What stats should I be aiming for to be able to tank Veteran Mode dungeons? How much health and Magicka and physical resists/ Spell resists should I have before attempting to tank a Veteran Dungeon?
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    difficult question here.
    normally tanks nowadays have more stamina than magicka to restore stamina when using shards or orbs. good stamina sustain is key atm, since blocking got more and more expensive since morrowind. blocking is just the best mitigation a tank has and sometimes prevents from being a one hit.
    thats why templars are in a bad spot for tanks, since they dont have some passive stamina regain like wardens or dks.
    still i think its possible to permablock by using an icestaff, since this enables to block with magicka. this is the point where templars come in handy, since they have passive magicka return by rune focus or elemental drain.
    so skills you need to consider taking with you are ransack (or other morph), low slash, morph of rune focus to get magicka back, blazing shield as damage shield, inner fire to range taunt, elemental blockade with ice staff to slow down enemies, to even apply minor maim aoe and root, it also will restore magicka, when elemental drain is provided, otherwise you are able to cast elemental drain yourself.

for stats i would recommed 35-40k health, little bit more stamina than magicka. on jewelry i recommend going woth block cost reduction enchants.
  • antimawkish
    antimawkish
    ✭✭✭
    ZeuZLoD wrote: »
    I haven't played in couple years so everything I knew is totally different. Currently playing a magicka templar and looking to do some dungeon tanking (not the trial stuffs). What stats should I be aiming for to be able to tank Veteran Mode dungeons? How much health and Magicka and physical resists/ Spell resists should I have before attempting to tank a Veteran Dungeon?

What you'll need stat-wise will vary hugely between the DLC dungeons (Bloodroot, Falkreath, Ruins of Mazz, Scalecaller, etc) and non-dlc. In general, I'm comfortable with 28-32k resists and 25-30k health on my tanks for vet content, but I also treat those max values as the minimum for most vet DLC content. If you're not contributing extra group utility like gathering and debuffing mobs, buffing the group, or tank-healing, then you should definitely skew higher on those values. Keep in mind, too, that certain fights are untankable and you'll need other utility for those specific fights (heres looking at you, direfrost keep).

The two biggest change from tanking 2+ years ago vs now is going to be resources. Stamina and magicka are a lot harder to keep up now, but you have more options now for using both resource pools. Frost destruction staves can be used to block with your magicka pool as long as you've spent points in the passive, which may complement your magicka regen circle and aoe magicka steal abilities, but it's still generally cheaper and easier to block on sword and board.

For most content, you can get away with just blocking heavy/special attacks and using other mitigation for the rest (e.g., bubbles or self-healing). For some of those DLC dungeons, you basically have to perma-block on select fights and will need some serious block cost reduction and might consider running sword n board front bar, frost back bar. I'd strongly recommend playing around with magicka vs hybrid vs stam builds in the non-DLC dungeons first to see what builds work for your style, ping, CP, and available gear. There are plenty of things in the newer DLC dungeons that will hit for 100k+ unmitigated, so you'll want to be good and sturdy or ready to dodge roll like a boss for them.
  • ZeuZLoD
    ZeuZLoD
    Sweet, thanks for the information, its highly appreciated!