The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

How hard is tanking in this game?

lupusrex
lupusrex
✭✭✭
Having seen a lot of possibility in the classes' skills for various tank builds, I thought I would try out one or two of them. But how difficult is tanking in ESO? I've done some reading and have seen differing opinions.

Aggro looks challenging due to one taunt, no flat hate bonus like tanks in other games might receive from a "stance," and enemies' disinclination to group up. There are plenty of abilities available to improve defense or survivability. Finally there's the issue of blocking, dodging, and so on, which I'm not terrible at but certainly not perfect either.

I just don't want to end up with a level 50 character and have to level up new weapon and armor lines for DPS or healing because the tanking turned out to be substantially harder than in other games. I'm curious to hear your impressions of it both while leveling and at endgame (for those with beta experience). Thanks in advance.
Martial Keen-Eye ~ Templar Healer/Archer ~ Daggerfall Covenant

"I ain't done nothin'."
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I wouldn't say it's easy to be a good tank. The thing is, there are barely any tanks in ESO (not many that I've seen, anyway) so if you choose tanking you'll probably be in demand.
    Learn to block at the right times, use your heals and defensive abilities well, and you should do well as a tank.

Practice makes perfect. :)
    Edited by Inversus on March 31, 2014 9:40PM
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    The mob AI in the game lets the mobs attack anyone, so it's not that easy to get the mobs to all hit the tank.
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coggage wrote: »
    The mob AI in the game lets the mobs attack anyone, so it's not that easy to get the mobs to all hit the tank.

Generally the idea of a tank in this game isn't like most games. The tank doesn't soak up all the damage. There are pretty much always going to be adds which go for the healer and DPS - all roles are going to have to soak up some of the damage.
    Often the tank will taunt the boss and keep the boss damage away from other players, whereas the DPS will have to deal with the adds themselves.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter