Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What's the purpose of Fishing?

MySecretWeapon
I've been fishing for awhile now. I've caught a couple dozen fish, and I've noticed they are all Trophy's. Are fish just vendor trash, or do they serve some other purpose? Also, does anyone know if you can catch anything else other than fish and bait?

Thanks!
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assumed they were used for food and cooking.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • Osi
    Osi
    ✭✭✭
    Cooking, although I never tried it in the beta beyond catching a couple. I assume as we get a list of the best food, fish will be a core ingredient in some of them.
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the moment, fishing is only good for achievements. The fish don't go in any recipes (unless something has changed since beta).
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure that the fish are then used in order to create consumables - basically, cooking.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Ariane
    Ariane
    ✭✭✭
    Some of those fishes can be sold to a merchant for more gold than others. You can get better quality fishes if you fish with more people in the same spot, but also it will drain faster.

Not sure if better quality fishes can be used for cooking, though.
    "I am not an Argonian. I am a crocodile"
  • moonshinemicky
    I have not seen any fish used for cooking. I believe it was that way at some point in the beta but not anymore. Here's to hoping that they add in some more functionality to fishing.
  • Arawn
    Arawn
    ✭✭✭
    Well, write /feedback and mention the fish starts smelling.
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The above has answered your questions, however fishing can give you something else that has no real purpose... relaxation.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• rdesja202b16_ESO
    rdesja202b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    How do you even start fishing? Yep Totally Newb question, but a good one nonetheless as I have not come across Fish nodes yet to have even tried.
  • Osi
    Osi
    ✭✭✭
    Fish nodes are bubbles of water usually off a main coast a few meters out. You'll need bait from catching bugs usually, or you can find some in barrels or other containers.
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most fish are only for selling, although there are some of higher quality that (I believe) will give you a buff.

There are also epics you can catch for achievements.
    "I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • MySecretWeapon
    How do you even start fishing? Yep Totally Newb question, but a good one nonetheless as I have not come across Fish nodes yet to have even tried.

Start by getting some bait. Killing Rats, Scorpions, Snakes, and other non enemy critters will usually drop bait. You can also find bugs while looting alchemy plants and Jute (for clothier)

Once you have bait, you need to find a fishing spot on the water. Usually, this is indicated by some bubbling on the surface in a small area and you'll see fish swimming beneath it.

Stand facing the fishing node and the tool-tip will come up "Press E to fish" or something like that. Press and HOLD "E" to select your bait, then press E to fish. When the lure goes under the water (you'll see and hear it) press E again to reel it in.

Rinse and repeat.
  • chimichi
    chimichi
    i found some runes for enchanting in wet bags, so far that was the only useful thing i caught.
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start by getting some bait. Killing Rats, Scorpions, Snakes, and other non enemy critters will usually drop bait. You can also find bugs while looting alchemy plants and Jute (for clothier)

Once you have bait, you need to find a fishing spot on the water. Usually, this is indicated by some bubbling on the surface in a small area and you'll see fish swimming beneath it.

Stand facing the fishing node and the tool-tip will come up "Press E to fish" or something like that. Press and HOLD "E" to select your bait, then press E to fish. When the lure goes under the water (you'll see and hear it) press E again to reel it in.

Rinse and repeat.

Sounds almost as boring as real fishing. :D
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • MySecretWeapon
    GreySix wrote: »

Yeah, but depending on where you are, it is kinda relaxing. Nice to listen to the rain and thunder and watch the waves of the ocean out in the distance. Very peaceful.
  • SpieleNerd

Sounds almost like you never fished in RL ... ;)

Edited by SpieleNerd on March 31, 2014 1:32AM
  • Worricow
    Worricow
    Soul Shriven
    Yea, RL fishing is wonderful. Relaxing, and brings food to the table. A single 24" pike gives you six meals. But I digress...

Most of the items I have acquired from fishing in the beta were just trophy's, and sold for cash. I do imagine there will eventually be a tie-in to the provisioning skill.

I did however get some nice items for my char while fishing.
  • Myrdreth
    Myrdreth
    ✭✭✭
    Worricow wrote: »
    I did however get some nice items for my char while fishing.

May I ask which Items you got? I don't like fishing but if I could get something nice out of it I wouldn't mind changing my mind about fishing :#
    ~ ♥ ~
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow
    Soul Shriven
    Assumed they were used for food and cooking.
    You -assume- !? :D

Edited by Stormcrow on March 31, 2014 8:04PM
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!" - Sheogorath
  • tallenn
    tallenn
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure I see the point in it, to be honest, but I've never really gotten the point of fishing in any MMO.

In RL, I LOVE to fish, but in an MMO, it's really just an incredibly repetitive mini-game that's nowhere near as fun as the real game. In RL, you feel the sun and the breeze, you smell the salt water, you feel the gentle rocking of the boat... man, I just realized how much I'm looking forward to going fishing on Friday :) I just might have to take the waverunner out, too.