Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Someone please help me understand attribute points.

Violynne
Violynne
✭✭✭✭✭
Background:
Working on a new NB stamina build (not looking for max DPS, but more stamina for my skills) and last week, I've been working to replace my jewelry with attributes to gain more stamina.

However, I've noticed something peculiar: rather than adding to my overall stamina, my bar decreases in total amount!

I finally hit CP, which put me into CP 400/160 (from my other characters), and I've been trying to hit 40k+ stamina with no success. The closest I got was 39.7k, so I was excited when I got a ring (matching my level) that would add 800 stamina. When I put it on, stamina dropped to 38k!

Yesterday, I went shopping for set jewelry and found the Darkstride set which adds a total of 2x 1096 stamina with 3 pieces. I bought 2 rings and a necklace, donned them, and am now sitting back at 38k (from the previous 39.2k).

I restored my original jewelry and returned to 39.2k, but I'm at a loss why this is happening. 1096*2 = 2192, which is 30% more than the 3 pieces I was originally wearing (necklace + ring were level 48 and the newest ring was CP 160).

My gear is level 40 (Night's Silence), which is the only set I can craft at my current research level (remember, new character - none of my other characters can do medium armor since they're sorcs specializing in light armor).

I do understand level does play a factor in the total value applied and there is scaling, but I don't understand how 2192 < 1380.

So now I turn to those who understand and humbly request they help me understand.

Thanks. :)

• SinisterG
    SinisterG
    ✭✭
    Were the jewelry pieces that you replaced part of a set that gave + max stamina? If so, you may only be taking into account the enchantment value rather than enchanment + set bonus.
    -Ruin -
    It bleeds all life away

I will show you all that I have mastered
    Fear.
    Pain.
    Hatred.
    Power.

This is the art of ruin
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are CP 160, make sure all your armor and jewelry is also CP 160. If you are comparing the numbers from before you reached Level 50, remember that battle-leveling scales you to CP 160 using your gear stats so that sometimes means you get higher attributes than you do once you hit champion points.

To figure out if your armor is giving you the correct amount, You need to check the enchantments and traits on all your armor.

The best comparison would be to check what you were wearing when you had 39.7K stamina at CP 160 to the gear you are wearing now and see what changed. I don't think you can accurately compare gear before level 50 to your CP 160 gear because of all the things battle-leveling takes into account.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, the original pieces were stand alone. Things I picked up from crawling or quests. Their levels varied between 40 and 50. One ring and necklace were green and the other ring was blue.
    The 1380 may not be accurate, but I know it wasn't above 1400. I just know one of the low level greens was 880 added to stamina. The other two were much less (found more magicka stuff than stamina, sadly)

• kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's going to be difficult to properly answer your question without knowing the gear pieces in question. However, for something to look at: jewelry adds stats in two ways. One is the set bonus, the other is the trait. Darkstride should usually come in robust trait (adds stamina) but some sets have off trait jewelry sometimes (bosses or quest rewards)
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭

Edited by cjhhickman39 on March 23, 2018 6:26PM
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    40k+ is pretty hard to achieve, I just aim for 35k then put the rest into set bonuses, weapon damage & regen.

As for swapping & losing stam you could be losing a set piece (e.g. 2/3/4/5 sets), or it could be lower level/rarity. It could also be due to your level difference or combat scaling if you were <lvl 50 at the time.
    Edited by Sparr0w on March 26, 2018 2:43PM
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • nihirisutou
    nihirisutou
    ✭✭✭
    Don't the <160 level jewelry pieces drop in values they add once you out level them.
    [PS4/EU]

PSN: Nihirisutou

CP: 650+

FOR THE DOMINION!!
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't the <160 level jewelry pieces drop in values they add once you out level them.

Like 30% loss after 15-20 levels or something.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sparr0w wrote: »
    40k+ is pretty hard to achieve, I just aim for 35k then put the rest into set bonuses, weapon damage & regen.

As for swapping & losing stam you could be losing a set piece (e.g. 2/3/4/5 sets), or it could be lower level/rarity. It could also be due to your level difference or combat scaling if you were <lvl 50 at the time.

I was <50 when I had the 39.8k. The jewelry I was wearing at the time (all 3 blue, though not part of a set). Around level 49, I found a purple (Senche was in the name) which had identical stats as the blue.

When I put the ring on, my stamina level dropped!

I figured out what my problem was and it's due to pure stupid on my part. The set was the key. I had originally wore a level 40 set of Night's Silence, but when I crafted my CP150 gear, I completely and utterly forgot to do NS. This dropped my stamina down, of course.

I also didn't correctly account for 3 items giving 880 each vs. the Darkstride set giving a max of 2192 (which took a loss because it's rated CP160, not for CP150 which is what I'm wearing now).

880x3 = 2640 > 1616 (DS dropped to 808 due to the CP difference).

Putting the math together, this is how I lost over 1k.

I'm currently sitting at 38.6k. Not bad, but I shouldn't sold my other trinkets because Darkstride has Stamina recovery, where I'd like reduced stamina cost items.

I'm still working on unlocking some skills such as Siphoning so I can morph to suck stamina.

I should also point out I'm not looking for max DPS, but more sustainability so I can keep my stamina up while dodging attacks. I continue to practice and it's working well for me. I'd rather spend a little more time taking down a baddy than find myself depleted of both health and stamina. :(

I wish my research would hurry itself up. ;)

Thanks for the feedback. It's nice to confirm my own stupidity sometimes. :p