Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Authenticator

valkaneer2b14_ESO
valkaneer2b14_ESO
✭✭✭
Are we going to see an Authenticator soon? So many gold spamers already. I don't know who's idea it was to put our login names where people could see them, but this is not good. This is something we need.
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold spammers? I was on 14 hours yesterday and never saw one. Weird. Are you sure you were in game?
    They already have you verify your IP address before you can login. That is as far as I see them needing to go. Plus you can /report people who gold spam in chat pretty easy.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • valkaneer2b14_ESO
    valkaneer2b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Oh ya It's been the big thing in Zone chat today, ppl complaining about gold spammers. But what I want is keep my efforts safe from those kinds of people. Me putting them on ignore does not stop them from hacking. Especially when they have your account name already, which is very very easy for them to get.

I have 14 hours on my time played right now. So ya I was on and have been on.
  • GholarDraki
    I was wondering this as well.

It's standard practice by most large MMOs to implement an authenticator/security key app. I wouldn't be surprised if Zenimax are in the process of making one and it will be released at some point. Some information would be appreciated, however.

For the mean time, the IP verification that is mentioned above should suffice but it is not as secure as a unique authentication code so hopefully it will be replaced soon.
  • archiebub
    archiebub
    No Good. I've had my account stolen in another game before, it sucks. Now I always use one time passwords when available. lets all just cross our fingers!
  • Rpalmer2
    Rpalmer2
    Well I can tell you from experience of using multiple computers with ESO on them. That their authentication for using a different computer and IP Address is solid. You get an email with a code when you attempt to login. You plug that code in and it allows for the login to become successful. At the moment I do not see the need to have an authenticator, but I also agree that the chat using @Username is not the correct way to display names in chat.
    Edited by Rpalmer2 on March 31, 2014 5:34PM
  • valkaneer2b14_ESO
    valkaneer2b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why they did not let you pick an "In Game" username. I would be alright with that.. kinda.

I have been in guilds before that had some really nasty people in them, ya know the kind that scam the guild to gear themselves and there buddies while they constantly pass you over for loot when their friends are there.

I was in such a guild and every time the GL's buddies were in raid it was "counsel loot" but when not we had to /roll. Once I caught on I refused to heal anymore (I was the guilds 2nd best healer) and decided to go dps. The GL refused to let me raid, even though guild rules said I could do exactly what I did. When he did not have a choice he let me raid, I topped the dps chart for the entire raid, and when my Tier gloves dropped he gave them to his buddy who was a first time raider, even though his friend wanted to do a /roll for it.

Needless to say my wife and I left the guild, the guild collapsed loosing there best dps and healer, and had my name drug through the mud. So much that I had to reroll a new toon to stop the harassment. I don't want to imagine what it would be like in this game where you can't get away from that and have to /ignore 30 or 50 people.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Authenticators are a nice option, but they definitely aren't necessary.

Don't click on suspicious links. Don't go to gold-selling sites. Don't leave your system unprotected. Don't use the same password across multiple accounts.

And yes, our usernames are available if someone is in a guild with us or ignores us. Which means nothing, because without our password, that username is useless.
    ----
    Murray?
  • elfindreams
    elfindreams
    ✭✭
    Technically speaking they are already using Two-Factor authentication... in general the three factors involved in multi-factor authentication are Something you Know, Something you Have and Something you Are. The something you know is your password. The second factor something you have in this case is handled by IP/email verification. I.E. the something you have is your email account.

Personally I don't find this as strong because people re-use passwords too much (if you get someone's ESO password chances are you can try it on the popular online email sites and end up with someone's email password which bypasses the IP check) but provided the user is using decent security practices (different passwords for different categories of services, two factor on email, etc) this should be sufficiently secure to avoid the gold hackers.
  • lordspyder
    lordspyder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want to say, anyone who has been in the military knows this, but on military computers all usernames are firstname.lastname so anyone who knows you in the least all ready has your username. These systems are literally life and death, and why do we use that? Cause if you have a good password, it doesn't matter who knows your username. All this people complaining about security are just people who wear tinfoil hats everywhere they go, or know nothing about computer security or user the password P@$$W0RD.