The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Sneaking question.

Mimik
Mimik
Do you level/get points in sneaking the more you use it? It seems to be a passive amount, I assume level based. My Templar has not done much sneaking but I am wondering if I need to be using it just to "skill it up"?
The Carolina Mountain Boys
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no way, currently, to get better at sneaking.
    Sneaking gives no experience - for now it is just useful.

You can use it for sneak attacks, and staying hidden - that's about it.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Mimik
    Mimik
    Inversus wrote: »
    There is no way, currently, to get better at sneaking.
    Sneaking gives no experience - for now it is just useful.
    You can use it for sneak attacks, and staying hidden - that's about it.

I thought as much, Thanks Buddy!

The Carolina Mountain Boys
  • Honn
    Honn
    ✭✭✭
    Sneaking can only be improved by passives, for example a Khajit has a passive sneaking boost. You can also use medium armor & put points into the sneaking passive to improve sneaking.
    You don't have to wear all medium armor, just enough to give you the benefit of the passive.
  • Dragonetti
    Can I tack on a question about sneaking here:

Does the mechanic work the same as in other MMOs as far as players and/or mobs seeing you? I guess the lack of a *poof* animation puts me off but am I invisible out of a certain radius (obviously level difference and skill dependent)?
    “Never let your sense of morals stand in the way of doing what's right”
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dragonetti
    Sneaking works on a radius around other players/NPCs.
    If you are a far way away from an enemy, they can't see you.
    If you are within their radius, you are suddenly visible - you'll know they've seen you when the eye cursor opens fully.

The radius can be reduced in a few ways - for instance I believe nightblades have access to better sneaking.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Dragonetti
    So when the eye opens fully, I am effectively out of stealth for all enemies?
    “Never let your sense of morals stand in the way of doing what's right”
  • elfindreams
    elfindreams
    ✭✭
    Does field of view affect it... i.e. can I sneak right up behind an NPC or is it purely radius based. How about lighting?

One thing I have been disappointed in is the lack of stealth based solutions to quests... there have been a couple where you needed to get into an area that I was able to sneak up to a door without the guard noticing and was put off by the fact that I couldn't pick the door and go in... it seems like actual sneak gameplay is missing... makes me wonder about the thieves guild questsline when it comes out.
  • Honn
    Honn
    ✭✭✭
    Field of view has a great impact on your ability to sneak....you will not be able to sneak in front of someones FOV, whether its an NPC or player.
    In PVP, you have to break Line Of Sight for the stealth to kick in if you are in view of other players. Not too sure if NPC's can still detect you even after you do this....

Stealth in general is radius based, but with the Field of View rules in place. So you can get closer from behind than you can get from the front.

Maybe the stealth gaming will be improved a little when/if they incorporate the Thieves Guild.
  • elfindreams
    elfindreams
    ✭✭
    Honn wrote: »
    Field of view has a great impact on your ability to sneak....you will not be able to sneak in front of someones FOV, whether its an NPC or player.
    In PVP, you have to break Line Of Sight for the stealth to kick in if you are in view of other players. Not too sure if NPC's can still detect you even after you do this....

Stealth in general is radius based, but with the Field of View rules in place. So you can get closer from behind than you can get from the front.

Maybe the stealth gaming will be improved a little when/if they incorporate the Thieves Guild.

• Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonetti wrote: »

Closed = hidden
    Half open = about to be found - be careful
    Fully open = everyone can see you D:

I'm not sure how much FOV affects it - it's mostly radius based but I expect it's better to stay out of FOV.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • elfindreams
    elfindreams
    ✭✭
    Inversus wrote: »
    Dragonetti wrote: »

Closed = hidden
    Half open = about to be found - be careful
    Fully open = everyone can see you D:

I'm not sure how much FOV affects it - it's mostly radius based but I expect it's better to stay out of FOV.

Actually not true. Fully Open means /someone/ can see you. Stealth is factored on an enemy by enemy basis as far as I can tell. Just because one enemy can see you doesn't mean they all can... for example you can stealth attack an enemy with the eye open provided the one you are attacking isn't the one that detects you.