The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Can They Be Knights?

Yzalirk
Yzalirk
✭✭✭✭
Hi,

I was wondering if Nords can realistically be Knights. I know they make great warriors but how about Knight? And more specifically, can they be Paladins/Holy Knights? If so, who can they worship that makes sense?

I like Nords and I always had a fascination with Knights so I want to know if they can be justified as such.

Thanks,
-Yzalirk
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why couldn't they be knights? There's nothing stopping the average Nord following Stendarr or Kynareth and taking vows to be a warrior of same.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might look at the Knights of the Nine from TES: Oblivion for inspiration. The order won't form until the 3rd era, well after this game, but during Oblivion, two of its members were Nords.

Certainly Nords can be knights. By the era of Skyrim, you likely see them as Thanes or Housecarls. In Oblivion, you see several knightly orders such as the Order of the White Stallion in Leyawiin (which lets in an orc, so I doubt Nords would be excluded). In the Arena main quest, some rogue knights in Skyrim have made off with a clue you need to get the staff of chaos out of Labyrinthian.
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. There are knight factions all through the history of Tamriel, and just because a faction is not mentioned does not mean it cannot have existed. If there are knights, it should very well be assumed that there are roaming knights unaffiliated, as knighthood is not an order as much as a way of life. However, the short answer is yes, a Nord can be a knight.
    "Krist the Lionheart? No. Lionheart was my dog" -Krist
    "Darling, if looks were everything, I would be king of the world" -Luke
    "That place, between day and night, that purple color just before dark, that is where you will find me"- Hughe
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main thing holding nords back from the 'knightly' appearance, culturally, is that their architecture and personality is based more around vikings than medieval britons. A breton will always fit the theme better IMO.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As pointed out already, there is nothing against that in ES lore.

I would like to add that historically speaking knight is not necessarily associated with a certain religion. The phenomenon exists through out a large portion of history and in multiple different cultures and religions. The European term knight it self has originally also no cultural or religious connection and was given this association later in history.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Yzalirk
    Yzalirk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    The main thing holding nords back from the 'knightly' appearance, culturally, is that their architecture and personality is based more around vikings than medieval britons. A breton will always fit the theme better IMO.

That was my initial thought exactly. Also, in the Breton culture it is not uncommon for them to go out and perform acts of nobility. The disappointing thing about this is that it is not reflected upon in ESO as Bretons are just seen as some of the best battle mages.

Plus I am sure there are other figures seen as Knights in ES in general. Perhaps not as a culture like the Bretons but as individuals. I am certain there are Dunmer Knights as well as Altmer Knights.

I personally like having things fit within the lore when I follow through on something within TES. That is why I asked this question.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yzalirk wrote: »
    Lynx7386 wrote: »

That was my initial thought exactly. Also, in the Breton culture it is not uncommon for them to go out and perform acts of nobility. The disappointing thing about this is that it is not reflected upon in ESO as Bretons are just seen as some of the best battle mages.

Plus I am sure there are other figures seen as Knights in ES in general. Perhaps not as a culture like the Bretons but as individuals. I am certain there are Dunmer Knights as well as Altmer Knights.

I personally like having things fit within the lore when I follow through on something within TES. That is why I asked this question.

Buoyant Armigers are the Dunmer version of Knights Errant.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yzalirk wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering if Nords can realistically be Knights. I know they make great warriors but how about Knight? And more specifically, can they be Paladins/Holy Knights? If so, who can they worship that makes sense?

I like Nords and I always had a fascination with Knights so I want to know if they can be justified as such.

Thanks,
    -Yzalirk

Idk, but We Can Be Heroes!