Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What melee class/race should I choose? (New to the game)

sabnova3415
sabnova3415
Soul Shriven
Hello,
I am returning to ESO, and I am trying to figure out what melee class to go with. Essentially I am a newbie since the first time I played I only leveled 2 characters to about level 15. My friends had quit the game, so I did as well. However, I have been itching to return so here I am!
After doing a bit of research I came to the conclusion of playing either a dragonknight or a sorc. But first let me tell you my dilemma. Normally, the playstyle or archetype I like to go for in other games is a warrior, or battlemage/melee with magical capabilities (i.e. Sauron from LoTR, original Deathknight from WC2 like a Teron Gorefiend) something big, tough, plate wearing, in your face, but still can wield magic. The problem I am running into is this:
1- Many of the viable melee classes are stam (DK and sorc); it also appears sorc magicka is more ranged
2- Idk what race to play
3- I like to play different roles switching between tank and DD
4- Certain playstyles warrant certain armor types (I am willing to wear light armor since it does have its benefits for magicka builds)
Is there a race and class I can choose where I can flip between magicka based and stam based? I like to invest a lot of my time into one character. I would like to avoid making a magicka based dk/sorc, then making a stam based one when I decide to tank or when stam is superior. Obviously stamina based is superior right now, and I would like to do high end content. I would just like to pick a race and class that is viable in both playstyles, instead of making multiple toons.
Thanks for all the help!
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will give you my personal opinion, which (disclaimer) is by no means gospel or general consensus.

First off I will point out a couple statements you made that may pose certain challenges to maximizing your potential.
    - Wearing plate armor is generally reserved for tanks or improved survivability in PvP situations, but has a direct, negative impact on your ability to do damage. Passive skills in the medium and light armor skill lines offer substantial boosts to stamina- and magic-based skills respectively. So for stamina-focused characters you'll want to wear medium armor to maximize your damage output if that is your goal. If you want to be a tank and stand there and absorb damage, but not be able to dole out much, then by all means, wear heavy (plate) armor.
    - Choosing a race that will be viable for both stamina and magicka if you get the notion to switch play style during the life of the character is a tough one. Again, passive skills tied to each race tend to benefit one particular function (stamina DPS, Magicka DPS, Stam Tank, Mag Tank, or Mag healer) Dunmer (Dark Elf) is probably the closest thing to a true hybrid race, based on passives.

To the crux of the matter, what race and class combination would I recommend? Again, we'll focus on a few things you stated above.
    - You'd like to be able to: switch between DD and tank, use melee skills, and have some ability to switch between stam and magicka. To answer the call to this, my top suggestion would be to create a dragonknight class, with the race being a little tougher decision. Dunmer make the best magicka DK because most of the magicka skills are fire based and that race gets a nice fire damage bonus. The few stamina morphs for DK skills deal poison damage which won't be affected by any racial passives, which makes this race pretty much standard for Mag DK DPS characters, and still relevant to stam DK. Getting a race that excels at stamina but also works for magicka is the bigger issue. Nords and Orcs make for good options that can be either stam DD or tanks.
    - For a stam sorc I run Redguard, although Bosmer (wood elf) might not be a bad choice either. Unfortunately, you'll be mostly using weapon-line skills for damage as nearly all sorcerer skills are magic-based, even morphs. Although Hurricane and Dark Conversion are nice stamina morphs. Sorcerers are mainly DPS characters, but I have seen some effective tanks that utilize shielding really well.

I think stamina DK's are in a really good spot right now for DPS, and have always been the go-to standard for tanking. So I would look at that if it were up to me. The race decision I'll leave up to you, however.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Magicka sorcerer is the easiest to play but are ranged...i mean nothing says you have to stand at range you can stand in their face and cast spells. Magicka nightblade is both melee and uses magicka. Magblades are a strong magic based class if you really want melee.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina dragonknight if you want to be able to switch between being a tank and being a damage dealer. You can train them in sword and shield to be a tank, and dual wield (or 2-handed) so you can switch them to DD with just a simple change of armor.

Otherwise, I'd recommend stamina sorceror, just because they're fun. They heal themselves nicely and do excellent damage.

Redguards and Wood Elves (Bosmer) will be able to maintain their stamina the best, so they won't run out of stamina as fast as other races.
    Imperials and Orcs can make great tanks too, though. My dragonknight tank is an Orc, just because Orcs are awesome.

Edited by SydneyGrey on March 15, 2018 12:23AM
  • Vanya
    Vanya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings! I bid thee welcome ;) I m a new player as well!

Do not be bothered Ultimately I suggest picking up the race you love the most. The changes aren't significant and should not prevent you at all. I knew for instance that Redguards or Bosmer have superior Stamina , but that haven't stopped me for Unleashing my Nordic rage on foes ;) I've picked up Nords. I loved Nords. Skyrim is my <3 And I love everything related to the Children of the Sky.

Nord Dragonknight Dual-wield is my personal choice which Is rather unusual. I have found out the perfect build which suits my play-style. The combination of Heavy armour/Racial passives/Draconic power and Dual wiled grants me very versatile build and power to take down multiple enemies.

if you have more time or perhaps willing to see my character in action which would be a lot more intriguing , Follow my tales!

The Elder scrolls Online Tamriel Unlimited Ultimate Walkthrough! {Check Signature}
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Race doesn't matter too much, obviously you'll have your top dogs but the difference isn't really noticable for the most part. The only class that would benefit mag/stam in a big way is Dark Elf, you could also run vampire on this race.

You'd ideally want to pour all points into Stam or Mag but a 50/50 split should work fine so long as you orient your armour/buff food around what you want to run.

Class choice is major depending on the role you wish to take, you can for the most part do anything with any class, however certain classes excel at certain things. Also this is the only thing you cannot currently change about your character so research these a little.

I see you mention melee mag character, I've see a couple mag characters running duel wield, and a couple playing up close and personal with a staff so you're easy with what you want to run.

Also you can tank with S&B or a Frost staff so again whether you go melee or staff you're fine to switch :smile:

@Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the outfit stations, you can "wear" steel plate armor and use swords and maces when in reality you are using daggers and leather plate
  • magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive been playing my magicka nb lately and for pvp i use light armor and i don't re-spec or anything and switch to heavy armor for tanking for pve. you just need to build up some skill points so you you dont need to redo skill points or anything. just swap gear and a few skills

Im a dark elf. imperial is good for if you want to switch from stam to magicka periodically because magicka classes need stamina and health ( i mostly PvP ) but as long as your not on a hardcore trial team the extra few percent from just doing endgame dungeons and stuff means nothing. so i would recommend imperial unless you just wanna go from damage to tank, then pic something specific to damage like high elf
    Edited by magictucktuck on March 22, 2018 2:55PM
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
  • Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina redguard nightblade.
    Front bar :- 2 Hander,
    back Bar : - Bow.

75K DPS in PVE . Extremly broken class in PVP. Don't listen to anyone.

NB never seen a nerf. I think NB will only get buffed in future. Stamina seen huge buff in recent. you need skill adjustments for PVE & PVP.
    You wont regret it.
    Edited by Priyasekarssk on March 22, 2018 5:26PM
  • JackSmirkingRevenge

NB never seen a nerf. I think NB will only get buffed. Stamina seen huge buff in recent. you need skill adjustments for PVE & PVP.
    You wont regret it.

75k in pve with a 2hander.... you should specify...75k dps while standing in a group of 10 low health enemies spamming reverse slice.... that is the only situation for which your comment is accurate.
  • Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeffdkc wrote: »

NB never seen a nerf. I think NB will only get buffed. Stamina seen huge buff in recent. you need skill adjustments for PVE & PVP.
    You wont regret it.

75k in pve with a 2hander.... you should specify...75k dps while standing in a group of 10 low health enemies spamming reverse slice.... that is the only situation for which your comment is accurate.

Reverse slice start from 50 percent of health, not low health and spammable. Put an AOE ultimate. SPAM reverse slice. 75K DPs is easily achievable with bow AOE comibined with an AOE ultimate . Take advantage of NB guaranteed crits.

You are correct 75K is against mob not single target. Single target at least 35-40k sustained.
    Edited by Priyasekarssk on March 22, 2018 5:41PM