The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Lag in ESO - Not noticing other issues with games... Bad support, great work Zos!

• method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lag issues here as well,pvp cyro,got kicked 2 times tonight,terrain textures wont load etc
    pve,switching from banker to merchant takes at least 10 sec to respond ,delay when fast travel or through wayshrines
    got a bit better after Tuesdays main and end of free crates but some issues remain unsolved for a long time
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So, I've raised multiple tickets over the last few weeks, checked with ISP, checked playstation settings but Zos are doing NOTHING to help. I've played this game for years, spent money, spent A LOT of hours on it and I think to be honest the experience I have now is so bad I might just quit...

I've had delay/freezing every 30 minutes, the old "Unable to connect. Make sure you have valid connection" message pop-up, mid game, in a dungeon/trial or just roaming around. It's really s__t to be honest and I think I've had enough. Zos your support is terrible, you don't even ask for a tracert in your ticket responses or a speedtest etc...

I'm playing other games on the SAME connection WITHOUT issues so what gives? Just to people out there sticking with the game wondering whether the lag issues are yours or theirs, its probably theirs. They'll get you to waste more of your time on the phone to your ISP who will say "do a speedtest, restart your router" - my speedtest is fine. 100mbs download time etc...

Thanks for nothing, Zos. I hope you sort it out cause it's hard for me to stay as it is right now.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/393101/does-zenimax-needs-to-improve-the-servers

This thread had hundreds and hundreds of votes and experiences of not being able to play this game because of their terrible servers. Zos completely ignored it. While the zos team went on, and continues, to comment on threads with 1 page or a few posts on it. This is a complete black list of this issue. Its always been like this, except for a random "we are are working on the servers" every few months. Im sorry to tell you this but you will only get 1 of 2 answers, when it comes to game performance, from zos or support;

"We are actively working on improving the servers"
    Or
    "check with your ISP"

Maybe after a few troubleshooting steps that dont usually help.. Its nice of some support agents to try and help but half of the time you'll get "check with your ISP" in the beginning.. And if you are one of the very few who actually has their issue fixed, then great. However if the issue persists for you, like it does for most of us, the conversation will end with check your ISP. There is no other way for it to end, 100%. Still i would love to know if anyone at zos even took a look at that thread i linked. The situation is truly scandalous. I mean really, when a games performance only gets worse for 2 years straight what does that say about the games future?

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
  • FireCowCommando
    FireCowCommando
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best advice i could give you is to take a break from the game, honestly, its not going to get better than it is now
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you using Playstation? I know nothing above PS2. So, if reinstalling the game onto the Playstation has had no effect, then try to borrow someone's else PC and use it on your ISP connection. Not sure if your PS game account allows that or not.

Eliminate the Playstation as the problem is the next step.
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    itzTJ wrote: »
    I mean really, when a games performance only gets worse for 2 years straight what does that say about the games future?

People that don't like the situation will leave.
    Other people will join and take a while for their particular bad experience to surface.
    In the meantime, most will continue to subscribe and buy crates.

• ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel like playing a slow motion eso, thx for everything Zos, i cant join any trial this week.
    U guys keep to ignore the lag issues :D
  • Zagnut123Zagnut123
    Zagnut123Zagnut123
    ✭✭✭✭
    @WhoSlappedThePie even tho you play other games just fine doesn't mean it's not on your end. Your isp could be throttling or block specific ports you use for eso and not other games. This happened to me a while back because eso uses similar ports for torrenting.
  • WhoSlappedThePie
    WhoSlappedThePie
    ✭✭✭
    @WhoSlappedThePie even tho you play other games just fine doesn't mean it's not on your end. Your isp could be throttling or block specific ports you use for eso and not other games. This happened to me a while back because eso uses similar ports for torrenting.

How do I troubleshoot this then? I don't think they are throttling but I can't be sure? I have had the same ISP for years and it ONLY started happening a few weeks ago.
    "It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop."

Current Toons (Max CP):
    Magsorc Breton
    Magblade Darkelf
    Stam DK Redguard
    Healer Templar High Elf
    Tank DK Argonian
    Stamblade Redguard

Completed: vHoF | vMoL | vSO | vSO HM | vAA | vAA HM | vHR | vHR HM | vMA | vDSA
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wireshark - and look up how to
    use it...
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I understand OP's frustration.
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

How do I troubleshoot this then? I don't think they are throttling but I can't be sure? I have had the same ISP for years and it ONLY started happening a few weeks ago.

Like right around the time of net neutrality!

Eh. Sorry, I'm no good at this conspiracy stuff.

Seriously though, Ping Plotter or what was suggested below could help you to see what's happening. I have had really good connectivity to ESO but in SWTOR, for example, it was horrible. It can be down to one's route into the server, or game code, or both.

In any case, good luck. :)

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get lag once in a while. Traceroute for me shows that it's a third party server doing me bad :(

Tata Communications server to be exact. Sadly there's nothing I can do about it..not my ISP and not Zos.
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do a trace route to ZOS servers and look at the timing.

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30903/~/how-do-i-do-a-pathping-and-tracert-to-the-servers-to-test-my-connection?
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly the game runs like turd. It hasn't be optimised in ages and the bad performance issues just pile on top of each other with every update. I play on the PC and have a horrible laggy time, so I can't imagine how bad it must be on console. I'm honestly in almost the same boat, a lot of content is near unplayable at this point, which really sucks. It's like they've stopped trying.
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    Honestly the game runs like turd. It hasn't be optimised in ages and the bad performance issues just pile on top of each other with every update. I play on the PC and have a horrible laggy time, so I can't imagine how bad it must be on console. I'm honestly in almost the same boat, a lot of content is near unplayable at this point, which really sucks. It's like they've stopped trying.

That sucks. :(

Thing is, it's not universal. Game runs fine for me, avg. 40ms/60fps. Do you mostly play in Cyro or overland? Another game I recently played gave me basically the same sort of issues you refer to here. I'm playing ESO on same hardware, same ISP (we are our own ISP) and the difference is marked.

I'd hate to be the crew that had to figure this out but I hope they do for you guys' sake.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • Zagnut123Zagnut123
    Zagnut123Zagnut123
    ✭✭✭✭
    Juju_beans wrote: »

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30903/~/how-do-i-do-a-pathping-and-tracert-to-the-servers-to-test-my-connection?

Pretty sure a traceroute sends packets out of only one port.
    @WhoSlappedThePie if you want to test it a good way is to mask your internettrafficfrom your isp by using a VPN. Most routers allow you to configure one on them these days. If that doesn't fix the issue then it's probably not something you can fix. Also do you use wife or do you use Ethernet?
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@WhoSlappedThePie if you want to test it a good way is to mask your internettrafficfrom your isp by using a VPN. Most routers allow you to configure one on them these days. If that doesn't fix the issue then it's probably not something you can fix. Also do you use wife or do you use Ethernet?

I play wow on the same machine as eso. I get 60fsp on both but 150ms on eso and 50ms on wow.
    TATA Communications in Ashburn, Virginia is what slows me down in eso.
  • Zagnut123Zagnut123
    Zagnut123Zagnut123
    ✭✭✭✭

I play wow on the same machine as eso. I get 60fsp on both but 150ms on eso and 50ms on wow.
    TATA Communications in Ashburn, Virginia is what slows me down in eso.

That's a hub that most likely has a poorly configured vlan or some other issue. But if a port is being blocked or throttled it's hard to detect that. You can also call and ask they may just think your illegally downloading stuff.
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thing is, it's not universal. Game runs fine for me, avg. 40ms/60fps. Do you mostly play in Cyro or overland? Another game I recently played gave me basically the same sort of issues you refer to here. I'm playing ESO on same hardware, same ISP (we are our own ISP) and the difference is marked.

I'd hate to be the crew that had to figure this out but I hope they do for you guys' sake.

Well yeah, that's a thing I've noticed, it's not across the board. But yeah I get an average of 30-40 frames when I'm not doing much, and 10-20 when I'm in fights. Ping also just jumps everywhere, low being 200 and average being 300. Every other game I play on the same hardware (even ones more demanding) run vastly better. ESO used to run really well for me, a few updates ago, but since they it's gotten a lot worse. I will say though, the people I hear talk about their game running well say they get 30 fps on intensive trial boss fights, which is still subpar to say the least. The point of MMOs is to make them playable across many different systems and specs, and while that doesn't seem to be the case with ESO right now, it used to be like that.
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paganini wrote: »
    Check your router-settings, if ipv6 is activated - this is a known issue causing disconnects every 20-30 seconds

Turning off IPv6 solved all of my problems (no lags, no disconnects anymore). So this is something I'd really recommend trying.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well yeah, that's a thing I've noticed, it's not across the board. But yeah I get an average of 30-40 frames when I'm not doing much, and 10-20 when I'm in fights. Ping also just jumps everywhere, low being 200 and average being 300. Every other game I play on the same hardware (even ones more demanding) run vastly better. ESO used to run really well for me, a few updates ago, but since they it's gotten a lot worse. I will say though, the people I hear talk about their game running well say they get 30 fps on intensive trial boss fights, which is still subpar to say the least. The point of MMOs is to make them playable across many different systems and specs, and while that doesn't seem to be the case with ESO right now, it used to be like that.

I hear ya. In SWTOR I had endless problems. I was delighted to find that I have none of 'em here. Pretty steady 40ms and 60fps except on Sundays. Sundays I average about 80ms or so and occasionally get spiked.

• WhoSlappedThePie
    WhoSlappedThePie
    ✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Paganini wrote: »
    Check your router-settings, if ipv6 is activated - this is a known issue causing disconnects every 20-30 seconds

Turning off IPv6 solved all of my problems (no lags, no disconnects anymore). So this is something I'd really recommend trying.

I only use ipv4 so this is not an option :P

Current Toons (Max CP):
    Magsorc Breton
    Magblade Darkelf
    Stam DK Redguard
    Healer Templar High Elf
    Tank DK Argonian
    Stamblade Redguard

Completed: vHoF | vMoL | vSO | vSO HM | vAA | vAA HM | vHR | vHR HM | vMA | vDSA
  • amir412
    amir412
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just move to Fortnite, sure not the "era" we all likes, but still, skill matters there, not lags and zerg.
    PC | EU | AD |Stam Dk named "-Saidden"| 1700 CP|
    "..A world without fire. Ashen one, is this truly thy wish?.."

• Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear ya. In SWTOR I had endless problems. I was delighted to find that I have none of 'em here. Pretty steady 40ms and 60fps except on Sundays. Sundays I average about 80ms or so and occasionally get spiked.

Had the opposite experience, and ps4 is terrible
  • Hostee
    Hostee
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone who keeps getting booted with the infamous “Please check to make sure you have a valid internet connection” needs to rebuild your database on PS4.
  • WhoSlappedThePie
    WhoSlappedThePie
    ✭✭✭
    Hostee wrote: »
    Everyone who keeps getting booted with the infamous “Please check to make sure you have a valid internet connection” needs to rebuild your database on PS4.

I already did that, no luck. Also I get this movement delay thing every few days where I can’t move, use skills and just have to delete save files. Every few days?! It’s become normal now on top of disconnects and long load screens. This game...

Current Toons (Max CP):
    Magsorc Breton
    Magblade Darkelf
    Stam DK Redguard
    Healer Templar High Elf
    Tank DK Argonian
    Stamblade Redguard