The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

name reservation question

kenshindononub18_ESO
anyone know how name reservation works? Is it once you enter it and start making the character or is it after you hit create the 2nd time and are in the game? I ask because i reserved the names i wanted at launch the other night, but didn't actually customize the characters. Just took the names. Now i need to actually customize them and that will probably take like 15-30 mins.

If i enter the name and start customizing does it keep the name, or does it only do that after i hit the final create button? If its the later thats kinda a problem. I did notice the name goes red if its taken so i was hoping it holds it when you enter it. Im also wondering if theres a delay between deleting a character and remaking them. I.E. If i have Jon Doe, Delete him to make a new one, is there a delay on removing that name from the server or can i remake him right away?
  • Nerevariine
    Nerevariine
    Soul Shriven
    From what I've heard there's no reservation what so ever, when you delete the character it'll be available 'till you hit 'create' on your new one.
    "Life has no meaning a priori… It is up to you to give it a meaning."

― Jean-Paul Sartre
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no reserves on names at all.

When a name is created, it's set in stone unless that character is deleted, then that name goes back up for anyone to use.

Spaces are allowed, so perhaps try that. Alternately, use a first and a last name. I know quite a few people are making lore friendly names that way so they don't get taken.

Good luck.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• PlagueMonk
    PlagueMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just remember that ESO is not limited to a single, simple, 7-9 letter word. That's what usually causes problems because the more common ones are immediately taken.

So add a surname! Unless you are stealing something directly from the pages of a fantasy novel, etc. the chances that someone else will choose BOTH your first AND last name is remote at best.
    Edited by PlagueMonk on March 31, 2014 3:26AM
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless it's Chuck Norris.

Then you are screwed.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• kenshindononub18_ESO
    so just to verify, when you enter the name after the first 'create character' click it is NOT saved right? It is only saved the 2nd time you hit 'create character' and load into the game?

Just want to be sure. Too bad if thats the case. I was hoping it was at the start since it turns red if its taken
  • redshan68_ESO
    redshan68_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    @kenshindononub18_ESO - Found this on FB and tried it. It works.

1. Create a random character using the Name you want.
    2. Once that character loads, log back out to character creation.
    3. Create a new character, spend all the time you want tweaking it.
    4.Then Hit the back button and return to the character creation screen.
    5. Delete that first random you made with the Name you wanted (in step 1).
    6. Quickly go to create character again ( Yes your tweaks will be still there), enter the Name you wanted and load the character.

If you are quick enough, in the short time between the deletion of the place holder random character and the naming of the tweaked character no one else should have snagged the Name you wanted.

• Cayce_of_Kata
    Cayce_of_Kata
    ✭✭✭
    so just to verify, when you enter the name after the first 'create character' click it is NOT saved right? It is only saved the 2nd time you hit 'create character' and load into the game?

This is correct.
    What I did with two of my characters was make a character with their name quickly, went to make a new characted, edited them as complexly as I wanted, went back out, deleted that character, and quickly registered the one I made good with that name. It saves your current character creation, even if you back out.
  • Osi
    Osi
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely worth early access if only to get the names I wanted.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Osi wrote: »
    Definitely worth early access if only to get the names I wanted.

Yeah , i was lucky i entered quite fast , some people got confused over the start time and ended up losing their names.
    Edited by Nox_Aeterna on March 31, 2014 4:47AM
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • kenshindononub18_ESO
    thanks for the suggestion guys but unfortunatly i have all 8 slots filled so i would have to have at least one character deleted to do this.

Maybe i can pick the one with the most random name to delete, then create one of the ones im more sure will be taken... and delete the placeholder right before i finish customizing on the real one

i.e. character A with a more random gets deleted to make a character B with a name that will probably get taken quickly for real. .... create new B in character A slot... when im done go ahead and delete old placeholder B and type the name in again. Then go ahead and retake name A

would that work? I cant think of any other way since i have 8 slots unfortunately. Your suggestions sound great if i had free slots =P Only down side to that is the risk of losing two names vs one but i probably will take like 30+ mins to make a character
    Edited by kenshindononub18_ESO on March 31, 2014 5:15AM
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the suggestion guys but unfortunatly i have all 8 slots filled so i would have to have at least one character deleted to do this.

Maybe i can pick the one with the most random name to delete, then create one of the ones im more sure will be taken... and delete the placeholder right before i finish customizing on the real one

i.e. character A with a more random gets deleted to make a character B with a name that will probably get taken quickly for real. .... create new B in character A slot... when im done go ahead and delete old placeholder B and type the name in again. Then go ahead and retake name A

would that work? I cant think of any other way since i have 8 slots unfortunately. Your suggestions sound great if i had free slots =P Only down side to that is the risk of losing two names vs one but i probably will take like 30+ mins to make a character

Well , do you have a friend who also plays the game?

You can ask him to create the char the moment you delete yours so he keeps the name safe for you.

After you are done , just ask him to give the name back , problem solved.

Ofc , your friend would need to have one slot open heh :P.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • kenshindononub18_ESO
    oh thats a pretty good idea. Unfortunately no. I dont have any friends that play this. Most of my friends are actually looking at Wildstar and didn't really plan on buying this game =( That would be the ideal way though, damn. Wish i could use the 2nd beta account i made for my niece to play.

maybe they'll do a free trail thing like a lot of MMO's do and i can try that, but till then i guess i'll just have to stick to 1 or 2 chars and try to make them as fast as possible. Which sucks because i usually spend a while on creation