Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Lich/Warlock sets

FrancisCrawford
FrancisCrawford
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
I get the impression that Lich is modestly popular in PvP, especially on a back-bar-only basis. I never see Warlock mentioned. This surprises me, as Warlock is burstier, and in PvP burst is of great importance. What am I missing?

I also get the impression that Lich & Warlock see very little PvE use. Is this accurate?

• FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I also get the impression that Lich & Warlock see very little PvE use. Is this accurate?

There's some very niche builds that use it before they get gear that actually performs. I personally use it for a makeshift saptank/healer build when the group seems to be struggling in those areas.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lich benefits and scales better with the regen CP, which is why it’s more popular.

Bonuses apply such as 15% from CP, plus 4% more for mage guild slotted skills, plus another 6% for altmer, 10% from vampire, major and minor intellect buffs, continuous assault buffs, etc gets added on to the base lich proc amount.

That adds up quickly, so it gives more Magicka over time even if it’s not ‘bursty’.
    Edited by Minalan on March 13, 2018 1:41AM
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The cool-down for Warlock is just too long.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

There's some very niche builds that use it before they get gear that actually performs. I personally use it for a makeshift saptank/healer build when the group seems to be struggling in those areas.

One context I was thinking of was healer. A healer's magicka should never get low enough to proc one of those sets, except in an emergency. But as a healer, I don't necessarily mind having capabilities that are only useful in emergencies. E.g., I'm tempted by the idea of gear like:

Bar 1: 2 Earthgore, 5 SPC, 4 Lich/Warlock
    Bar 2: Flip the 5 and the 4.

Everything except the SPC in that is emergency-value-only.

• Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warlock is better when you need to Streak away.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lich gives more magicka back in the 20 seconds than Warlock. At flat gold-quality value (and assuming you're proccing it every 1 minute), Warlock only gives 9000 magicka once every minute. Over 20 seconds, Lich gives 10,320 magicka back. Lich is generally better because it gives you boosted magicka recovery. Magicka recovery is buffed by CP, light armor, major/minor Intellect, and passives (Altmer, vampire, class passives, etc.). Warlock's flat return is not. With the buffs, Lich ends up giving people even more magicka back than what the tooltip says,
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

One context I was thinking of was healer. A healer's magicka should never get low enough to proc one of those sets, except in an emergency. But as a healer, I don't necessarily mind having capabilities that are only useful in emergencies. E.g., I'm tempted by the idea of gear like:

I assume that build is for pvp. For pve, I'd drop lich/warlock and earthgore and with Jorvuld's and 1 Domihaus. As you said, a healer's magicka shouldn't drop so much that you need a set to help you sustain. Jorvuld's helps with the DPS's buffs, such as Warhorn and Combat prayer.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

This is the way I have my warden healer set up. Except I use sentinel of rekugums, as it is a much better pve healers set. With all the buffs I can get, when lich procs my regen goes from 2100 to 4800. It really is insane. I need this much because orbs are expensive, so is enchanted growth. I also use blood atlat and that costs 4500 mag but that is offset by only needing to cast it every 33 seconds.

• Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you´re after high magregen, Prisoner´s Rags set has the highest mag-regen (but with the condition you need to sprint) in the game. Very underrated set. And in comparison to lich/warlock, you have that mag-regen on demand.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I assume that build is for pvp. For pve, I'd drop lich/warlock and earthgore and with Jorvuld's and 1 Domihaus. As you said, a healer's magicka shouldn't drop so much that you need a set to help you sustain. Jorvuld's helps with the DPS's buffs, such as Warhorn and Combat prayer.

No, I meant it as a PvE possibility. I understand that if one has the right group, keeping them alive is trivial, and one should optimize for buffing. But I'd also like to be able to heal groups that aren't so elite.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Troll King might actually fit the idea better.

5/4 SPC
    4/5 Lich
    2 Troll King

SPC uptime should only be slightly downgraded, and both Lich and Troll King should help with emergency healing situations.

This assumes 100% or so uptime for HoTs, to proc SPC and Troll King alike. But in 4-person groups, that's super-easy to achieve.
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka furnace on mg dk though. Niceeeee