Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How do you incorporate synergy efficiently?

Caroloces
Caroloces
✭✭✭✭✭
I know that special skills have a "synergy" capability. From what I understand, enacting that skill allows other players to perform an action that makes the skill a shared and more powerful effort coordinated by multiple players. I'm wondering how people use those synergy skills efficiently. I've seen them occur mostly at the Molag Bal anchor events, but I think I've seen them once or twice in a dungeon crawl. The other thing I'm wondering: If you enact a skill that has synergy will all other players in the vicinity see the "x" to participate? Or will only those people that have skills that somehow coordinate with the synergy skill being used see the "x"? I usually find myself seeing the x appear on the screen, and then pounding the keys to find the "x" key, only to miss it, and when I do find it, I've lost the opportunity!
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, you can re-bind the synergy key if "X" is giving you that much trouble. But to answer your main question: synergies will be available to any players that are in the area of your Ultimate ability.

Synergies don't require terribly strategic use until you hit VR. When you do hit VR, a player who uses their ultimate at a good time for the group instead of a good time for their imaginary damage meters can make the difference between a clear and a wipe.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Talmet
    Talmet
    ✭✭✭
    Well, you can re-bind the synergy key if "X" is giving you that much trouble. But to answer your main question: synergies will be available to any players that are in the area of your Ultimate ability.

Synergies don't require terribly strategic use until you hit VR. When you do hit VR, a player who uses their ultimate at a good time for the group instead of a good time for their imaginary damage meters can make the difference between a clear and a wipe.

imaginary damage meters? They aren't imaginary, damage meters are real & there are multiple different addons that do it.
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I know that special skills have a "synergy" capability. From what I understand, enacting that skill allows other players to perform an action that makes the skill a shared and more powerful effort coordinated by multiple players. I'm wondering how people use those synergy skills efficiently. I've seen them occur mostly at the Molag Bal anchor events, but I think I've seen them once or twice in a dungeon crawl. The other thing I'm wondering: If you enact a skill that has synergy will all other players in the vicinity see the "x" to participate? Or will only those people that have skills that somehow coordinate with the synergy skill being used see the "x"? I usually find myself seeing the x appear on the screen, and then pounding the keys to find the "x" key, only to miss it, and when I do find it, I've lost the opportunity!

I would like too say, the person playing the support roll (not the healer) as far as abbllitys go would be better on with the synergies, I'm a tank, and I'm currently using two, innar fire, and compastor(I'm a scorc) I can pull do damage, tank, and protect my team mates as well as soon as I can get bone shilled il be using that as well.
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Major problem with synergies is people not telling what their synergies are or do. mentioned this in another post. It gets totally insane when people fire off synergies without any clue that they are using them.
    *cough* purify *cough* at the start of combat with everyone full health just to name one.
    Synergies overlap, meaning you can activate only one, if several people use a skill with a synergy on it, youll only get to activate last one, so a whole bunch of synergies will get lost.
    People have to simply stop punching buttons like they are used to in other MMOs and use those cells that pass for a brain ... but i know, its impossible, use brain? You for real?
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talmet wrote: »

imaginary damage meters? They aren't imaginary, damage meters are real & there are multiple different addons that do it.

I'm sorry, I meant pointless. Silly. Ridiculous.

Damage meters encourage bad play, especially in a game where fights are never DPS races.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Csub
    Csub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talmet wrote: »

I'm sorry, I meant pointless. Silly. Ridiculous.

Damage meters encourage bad play, especially in a game where fights are never DPS races.

^this. I can't even begin to describe how much I'm enjoying the game without all those numbers and statistics on my screen. I can't even believe I took those as a must in my past several years in MMOs. If I returned to a previously played one I'm sure I would go for a minimalistic interface.
    "The Divines gave you a nose for a reason, Tharn. So you can keep your mouth shut and still keep breathing. - Lyris Titanborn
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bhakura wrote: »
    Major problem with synergies is people not telling what their synergies are or do. mentioned this in another post. It gets totally insane when people fire off synergies without any clue that they are using them.
    *cough* purify *cough* at the start of combat with everyone full health just to name one.
    Synergies overlap, meaning you can activate only one, if several people use a skill with a synergy on it, youll only get to activate last one, so a whole bunch of synergies will get lost.
    People have to simply stop punching buttons like they are used to in other MMOs and use those cells that pass for a brain ... but i know, its impossible, use brain? You for real?

This. So much this. At the start of every single dungeon, I have to tell my party members what the Purify synergy does and ask them nicely not to hit it unless they need it. I still see them do it as soon as I drop it, which is a nice waste of the skill.
  • Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This. So much this. At the start of every single dungeon, I have to tell my party members what the Purify synergy does and ask them nicely not to hit it unless they need it. I still see them do it as soon as I drop it, which is a nice waste of the skill.

This is kind of what puzzles me about synergies. Aren't they usually part of an ultimate ability? And if a player uses that ultimate ability it's usually to gain the inherent benefits of the ability itself with the synergy as kind of a bonus aspect of the ability. If I understand this correctly, a player uses this ultimate ability and other players in the vicinity see the "x" in their UI to enhance the effect of the ability provided by the synergy. The natural response is to press the x to maximize the effect (since everyone is presumably working together) to beat a mob. Why would you ask party members to refrain from making use of the synergy when it becomes available? Is there some sort of detraction from the effect if too many people make use of it?
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some skills have synergies too, like the purify one, its a "basic" templar skill. And if someone uses it that doesnt need it it goes away for the one that does need it since the synergy has been used.
    It stays up for the duration of the spell duration, only one has to use it and synergy goes away. Some have even only one activation like the blood altar from undaunted tree unless you take the overflowing morph where several people can "pray" at it.
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    This is kind of what puzzles me about synergies. Aren't they usually part of an ultimate ability? And if a player uses that ultimate ability it's usually to gain the inherent benefits of the ability itself with the synergy as kind of a bonus aspect of the ability. If I understand this correctly, a player uses this ultimate ability and other players in the vicinity see the "x" in their UI to enhance the effect of the ability provided by the synergy. The natural response is to press the x to maximize the effect (since everyone is presumably working together) to beat a mob. Why would you ask party members to refrain from making use of the synergy when it becomes available? Is there some sort of detraction from the effect if too many people make use of it?
    This was my assumption as well. Let's say I'm in a group and my tank or my healer is using skills that have synergies, and I keep seeing "press x" pop up. If I've never played a tank or healer, how am I going to know what that synergy is and whether or not I'm supposed to press x? I'm not.

I guess I see it as the responsibility of the person who will be using that skill to brief his teammates before they ever get near the fighting. Something along the lines of "Hey, I have this thing called Blood Altar that can heal you, but it's limited, so only use it if you're about to die, okay?"
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sue_D_Nim‌ I do that all the time. As I said, I tell players in dungeons not to hit Purify unless they need it. They still hit X as soon as the game prompts them, which is as soon as I drop the skill. Thereby they waste the ability because they're at full health when they use it. I can talk until I'm blue in the face. Players don't seem to listen.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sometime's it's reactive...explaining if/when to use the synergies that arise will help your group members tremendously.

Nine times out of 10, it's a good thing to take advantage of.

A side note that is not as well known as it should be, the same character cannot activate another character's synergy two times in a row....

Meaning, if I cast an Ultimate with Synergy and you activate it, the second time I cast it, it has to be a different individual that takes advantage...

The third time, it can come back to you, but not to them. If you find yourself trying to use synergy, but it fails to activate, that's probably why. (Makes it difficult for Duo groups...but keeps it from being spammed.)

If you don't explain this to your group members, as well, they'll likely stop trying because they'll assume it's bugged.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    nudel wrote: »
    @Sue_D_Nim‌ I do that all the time. As I said, I tell players in dungeons not to hit Purify unless they need it. They still hit X as soon as the game prompts them, which is as soon as I drop the skill. Thereby they waste the ability because they're at full health when they use it. I can talk until I'm blue in the face. Players don't seem to listen.
    That's why I hate PUGs.

"If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But... but... the game told me "press X to purify". :o
  • HawkFest
    HawkFest
    ✭✭✭
    nudel wrote: »

You're a player too, and communication isn't an ESO skill... Either you express yourself incorrectly to the point they didn't understand, either it's as the saying : "one gets the group-mates he deserves"... If some patron in a workplace judges that all his employees are stupid, well that's because he's himself stupid or incompetent for not being able to make them elevate their skills/performances. Having been a newbie (like everyone), I can tell you that some "veterans" assume that every other players should have their in-game experience and knowledge, and lose their temper quite fast, as if they were some kind of impatient God in wrath : normal people simply don't listen to them, they want to have fun in ESO.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My tank only puts out a synergy from talons. The rest of his team support is direct buffs/debuffs. He is a prolific synergy consumer though. Since he is normally in the 'eye of the storm' he is ideal for activating all kinds of damage synergies from others (like Conduit). He also enjoys shards to help a bit with resource management. Being a reasonably built tank, he also gets magic, stam and health back from every single synergy he activates. Lesson: Feed your tank synergies. :)

My healer basically ignores synergies as a user. She is a synergy provider though (shards, purify, etc) and her focus is on trying to deliver them to the right place at the right time.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo