The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Bad FPS [Solved]

Tegan
Tegan
Hello,

Unfortunately I am struggling to achieve a decent FPS upon starting the game in the "Wailing Prison" area. My default settings automatically set me to the "High" pre-set. My FPS drops from around 35 and begins to fluctuate between 11-25 (tends to stick at around 14) from then onwards (even when standing still). I then switch the settings down to the "Medium" pre-set which causes my FPS to fluctuate between 16-30 (sticks at around 18). Changing the settings to the "Low" pre-set causes my FPS to fluctuate between 20-45 (sticks at around 22).

Is this to be expected with my specifications? I've never had a problem with FPS up until now on other PC games. My laptop is just over one year old and I never imagined that it would struggle this badly with EOS.

Specifications:

Nvidia GeForce GT 640M
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (w/ Turbo Boost)
8.00 GB RAM
1366x768, 60Hz
Microsoft Windows 8.1

I've played around with the settings countless times, but it hardly changes my frame rate at all. Any help to fix my issue would be much appreciated.

PS: I have all of the latest graphic drivers etc.
Edited by Tegan on April 1, 2014 1:47PM
  • pgiambal
    pgiambal
    Hi!

I am linking you to another similar thread that I hope may help you. Please follow the advice I gave there.

I know he does not have the same exact setup that you do, but I would give the same advice.
  • Tegan
    Tegan
    pgiambal wrote: »

Thank you for the quick response. I have tested some of the things that you mentioned in the other thread; sadly the FPS didn't improve. I restored my Nvidia 3D settings to default, switched EOS to a higher priority in my processes, switched off VSync & Anti-Aliasing (whilst playing around with other settings) and turned the game to "Window" mode. Strangely, turning off VSync & Anti-Aliasing didn't even change my frame rate at all. Window mode did however improve the frame rate ever so slightly, but barely noticeable. The game still continues to run at around 14 FPS on the "High" pre-set with the above changes.

Something I noticed was that I when boot the game up, it proceeds to run smoothly for the first couple of minutes, at over 30 FPS. It then suddenly drops to 14 FPS and then continues to fluctuate between 11-25ish continuously. Entering combat (specifically with the Skeleton in the Wailing Prison) causes the FPS to drop to <10!
  • pgiambal
    pgiambal
    I recently purchased a MacBook Pro with a GTX 750M graphics adapter.

It can barely run Battlefield 3. About 20 FPS

I have another laptop... 3 years old running an AMD Radeon 5960M. It runs Battlefield 3 twice as good at the same settings when compared to the 750M.

By all accounts, this is not right. I think you are suffering from a similar injustice and I don't know how to correct it.

You can try propping the back edge of the laptop up with a couple of CD jewel cases to give the fan hole more air. The fact that it runs well for about a minute is a sign of a possible thermal throttling event. If this is the case (however unlikely it is), you may not be able to correct it.

I also had a situation in my past where I was running FRAPS on my PC to see framerates and i was unknowingly striking the keyboard short to record video with FRAPS and it was killing my frame rate every time i struck that key.
    Edited by pgiambal on March 30, 2014 10:34PM
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tegan wrote: »
    Hello,

Unfortunately I am struggling to achieve a decent FPS upon starting the game in the "Wailing Prison" area. My default settings automatically set me to the "High" pre-set. My FPS drops from around 35 and begins to fluctuate between 11-25 (tends to stick at around 14) from then onwards (even when standing still). I then switch the settings down to the "Medium" pre-set which causes my FPS to fluctuate between 16-30 (sticks at around 18). Changing the settings to the "Low" pre-set causes my FPS to fluctuate between 20-45 (sticks at around 22).

Is this to be expected with my specifications? I've never had a problem with FPS up until now on other PC games. My laptop is just over one year old and I never imagined that it would struggle this badly with EOS.

Specifications:

Nvidia GeForce GT 640M
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (w/ Turbo Boost)
    8.00 GB RAM
    1366x768, 60Hz
    Microsoft Windows 8.1

I've played around with the settings countless times, but it hardly changes my frame rate at all. Any help to fix my issue would be much appreciated.

PS: I have all of the latest graphic drivers etc.

I can just about guarantee that this system is using an Nvidia Optimus setup, where you have an Intel GPU for desktop stuff and an Nvidia GPU for gaming. Your performance suggests that the Optimus software is not enabling the Nvidia GPU for ESO and running it on the Intel GPU (which explains the extremely poor performance). This is often an issue with new games. You generally have to go into the Nvidia control panel and specifically set it to use the Nvidia card for ESO.

Also (and this is also an issue with laptops), even if you do have it set to use the Nvidia GPU, if your power management settings aren't right (set to power saving for example), it can still use the Intel GPU. I do not have screenshots handy of what you have to configure because I'm at work, but I can just about guarantee that this is your issue.
    Edited by Saerydoth on March 30, 2014 10:48PM
  • pgiambal
    pgiambal
    Saerydoth wrote: »
    I can just about guarantee that this system is using an Nvidia Optimus setup

Amazing suggestion. Marked as insightful. I hope this helps the OP
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can just about guarantee that this system is using an Nvidia Optimus setup

Amazing suggestion. Marked as insightful. I hope this helps the OP

Yeah, I played WOW for 7 and a half years...and I saw a HUGE number of people have this exact issue. And it normally happened immediately after patches.
  • Tegan
    Tegan
    I recently purchased a MacBook Pro with a GTX 750M graphics adapter.

It can barely run Battlefield 3. About 20 FPS

I have another laptop... 3 years old running an AMD Radeon 5960M. It runs Battlefield 3 twice as good at the same settings when compared to the 750M.

By all accounts, this is not right. I think you are suffering from a similar injustice and I don't know how to correct it.

You can try propping the back edge of the laptop up with a couple of CD jewel cases to give the fan hole more air. The fact that it runs well for about a minute is a sign of a possible thermal throttling event. If this is the case (however unlikely it is), you may not be able to correct it.

I also had a situation in my past where I was running FRAPS on my PC to see framerates and i was unknowingly striking the keyboard short to record video with FRAPS and it was killing my frame rate every time i struck that key.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I'll give the ventilation tip a shot and see if it helps. Hopefully it will fix the issue! I'm highly sure my laptop is beginning to have overheating problems recently as it's decided to suddenly turn itself off twice now in the past week (never had this issue up until now) whilst playing some other games. I'll keep an eye on the CPU temperature and see what it reaches.

As for FRAPS; I heard in the past that recording can worsen the frame rate so I've been extra careful not to strike the hot key whilst checking, heh.

If worst comes to the worst, I might have to invest in a brand new laptop or PC! :(

PS: I'll try it on my partners laptop (similar specifications to mine but slightly better) tomorrow and see if it runs any differently.
  • pgiambal
    pgiambal
    If worst comes to the worst, I might have to invest in a brand new laptop or PC! :(

Try the optimus suggestion from Saerydoth first!
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a video on configuring Optimus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz4dG_lA4Ug

I can't actually view the video since I'm at work (and they block Youtube) but from the subject it looks like it should work.
    Edited by Saerydoth on March 30, 2014 11:00PM
  • Tegan
    Tegan

I can just about guarantee that this system is using an Nvidia Optimus setup, where you have an Intel GPU for desktop stuff and an Nvidia GPU for gaming. Your performance suggests that the Optimus software is not enabling the Nvidia GPU for ESO and running it on the Intel GPU (which explains the extremely poor performance). This is often an issue with new games. You generally have to go into the Nvidia control panel and specifically set it to use the Nvidia card for ESO.

Also (and this is also an issue with laptops), even if you do have it set to use the Nvidia GPU, if your power management settings aren't right (set to power saving for example), it can still use the Intel GPU. I do not have screenshots handy of what you have to configure because I'm at work, but I can just about guarantee that this is your issue.

Yep - I think your right about my laptop having the Optimus setup. It tries to automatically run ESO with Intergrated Graphics. I attempted to change the default graphics processor for ESO earlier; the Nvidia Control Panel states that it's using "(Auto-select: Nvidia GPU)" <- I had to change it to this in the settings earlier as it was using Intergrated Graphics. However, right clicking the ESO shortcut > Run with graphics processor, still states that it is using Intergrated Graphics (default) even though I have changed the default graphics processor in the Nvidia Control Panel. I've tried restarting my laptop yet it still states the same thing, therefore when I play ESO I have to right click the ESO shortcut > Run with graphics processor > High performance Nvidia processor just to try and ensure that it uses that option.

My power setting is currently set to "Balanced (recommended)", so I'm not sure if that's effecting ESO's performance as you mentioned.
    Edited by Tegan on March 30, 2014 11:11PM
  • pgiambal
    pgiambal
    Don't stop now - you're on the right path. Keep messing with Optimus and looking for ways to override that.

If it's any consolation to you, I just resolved an issue I've been working on since 9AM regarding this game and my PC having to do with Dual CPUs.

Keep at it! B)
  • Tegan
    Tegan
    UPDATE:

I just played around with my power setting and switched it to "High Performance". I've instantly noticed a huge difference in the frame rate to a point where it has now become smooth and bareable. It's now running stable at around 30+ FPS in the "Wailing Prison", and stayed at 20+ FPS in the fight outside with the Antronach's. Unfortunately, as mentioned earlier, the FPS decided to drop after a couple of minutes game play to <15. Perhaps this might be an overheating issue?
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    UPDATE:

I just played around with my power setting and switched it to "High Performance". I've instantly noticed a huge difference in the frame rate to a point where it has now become smooth and bareable. It's now running stable at around 30+ FPS in the "Wailing Prison", and stayed at 20+ FPS in the fight outside with the Antronach's. Unfortunately, as mentioned earlier, the FPS decided to drop after a couple of minutes game play to <15. Perhaps this might be an overheating issue?

That's also a possibility. There is a free program you can get called hwmonitor that will tell you what your CPU and GPU temperatures are. I don't have the link handy but it should come up on google.
  • Tegan
    Tegan
    UPDATE:

That's also a possibility. There is a free program you can get called hwmonitor that will tell you what your CPU and GPU temperatures are. I don't have the link handy but it should come up on google.

Thank you, I'll check it out tomorrow and post the results here. :)
  • Tegan
    Tegan
    Okay, I definitely think this is an overheating issue judging by these temperatures. Yesterday, the laptop had been on for hours and it was pretty hot in the bedroom. The temperatures in this screenshot were taken today however (in the morning), when the laptop had been turned on and booted up with ESO immediately. Surely this must be the reason why my FPS is spiking badly after so long of playing.

2zxr39h.png
    Edited by Tegan on March 31, 2014 10:23AM
  • Saerydoth
    Saerydoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yes, that's very bad. That is FAR FAR FAR too hot. When your components are getting nearly hot enough to boil water, that's WAY too hot. To give you a comparison, my CPU runs at about 50C and my GPU runs at about 58C while ESO is running at maxed settings.

Now granted, that's not QUITE a fair comparison since mine is a desktop, with a huge case with lots of airflow, a huge CPU fan, and a video card with a huge heatsink and 2 fans, while you have a laptop. Laptops can have a lot of heat issues. If you don't have a laptop cooler to set the laptop on, I'd definitely recommend getting one. Also make sure vents and fans are clean, etc.

There are a lot of good inexpensive laptop coolers with lots of fans that are powered by a USB port. But yes, with those temperatures your CPU and video card are definitely going to start throttling to avoid thermal damage, and that will show up as a severe FPS loss in game.
    Edited by Saerydoth on March 31, 2014 7:11PM
  • Tegan
    Tegan
    Oh yes, that's very bad. That is FAR FAR FAR too hot. When your components are getting nearly hot enough to boil water, that's WAY too hot. To give you a comparison, my CPU runs at about 50C and my GPU runs at about 58C while ESO is running at maxed settings.

Now granted, that's not QUITE a fair comparison since mine is a desktop, with a huge case with lots of airflow, a huge CPU fan, and a video card with a huge heatsink and 2 fans, while you have a laptop. Laptops can have a lot of heat issues. If you don't have a laptop cooler to set the laptop on, I'd definitely recommend getting one. Also make sure vents and fans are clean, etc.

There are a lot of good inexpensive laptop coolers with lots of fans that are powered by a USB port. But yes, with those temperatures your CPU and video card are definitely going to start throttling to avoid thermal damage, and that will show up as a severe FPS loss in game.

I thought this might be the case; I've been having a shop around today for some decent laptop cooling pads. I haven't invested in one yet, so for some slight temporary help, I've raised the back of the laptop with some plastic cases to allow better airflow in the meantime. I never use the laptop on my bed; I always play at my desk. I've also been looking into air compressed cans etc for cleaning around the fan area, although I'm a bit put off taking the laptop apart - not very experienced in that field.
    Edited by Tegan on March 31, 2014 8:36PM
  • pgiambal
    pgiambal
    I think perhaps no matter how much cooling or air you point at the laptop chassis...

you will have a very hard time reducing those numbers. 100C is typically the maximum thermal design power temperature limit you will find for CPU's and GPU's - that is to say that 100C is regarded as the absolute limit of acceptable thermal range. When you hit 100, the computer will purposely cut the power down to these components to bring the temperature back down.

I would not worry about permanent damage though, the parts are designed to withstand up to 100C.

it could melt some of your plastic on your chassis though. maybe damage a keyboard connector ribbon, etc.
  • Tegan
    Tegan
    Ran a little test on my GPU's/CPU's heat today using a household fan on maximum setting, an open window and a raised laptop (using plastic cases). I had the fan pointed at the back at the laptop in a downwards motion to help blow some air beneath the laptop.

Temperatures:

GPU (without fan) running ESO on High settings - 94°c
    CPU (without fan) running ESO on High settings - 81-85°c

GPU (with fan) running ESO on High settings - 83°c
    CPU (with fan) running ESO on High settings - 70-75°c

FPS is stable at around 25+ (Wailing Prison PVE Atronach area).

Obviously a household fan is not the solution to my problem (it's very noisy), but really has helped by knocking the temperatures down by 10°c. For this reason; I think a high quality laptop cooling pad beneath the laptop will really make a noticeable difference - enough to allow me to play stably.

PS: I wouldn't mind knocking the settings down to Medium; it doesn't look much worse than High and brings my FPS up by 10-15!
    Edited by Tegan on April 1, 2014 1:46PM
  • LorenzoButtigieg
    LorenzoButtigieg
    ✭✭✭
    There is good news from nvidia looks like the new Drivers coming out in April will solve CPU overhead on all DX 11 games so ESO should see a big difference in FPS reducing the gap btw cpu and gpu like Mantle.
  • Tegan
    Tegan
    There is good news from nvidia looks like the new Drivers coming out in April will solve CPU overhead on all DX 11 games so ESO should see a big difference in FPS reducing the gap btw cpu and gpu like Mantle.

Ah that's great news; I sure hope so! :)